X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASU's

I was just wondering if I enlisted with the VA ARNG if I would receive a set of ASU's or if I'd have to buy my own or are we even permitted to wear fancy uniforms?

Re: ASU's

You will receive your ASU's near the end of BCT. Yes we are allowed to wear them, but i do not know if you have to buy them, I dont think you do but im not positive

Comment

You are issued them. Post bootcamp, you are generally not forbidden from buying your own uniforms (ASUs are not cheap btw) or gear if you wish.

Comment

Welcome to the VaARNG! I luv fancy uniforms too!

Comment

Make sure you get them at Basic (99.99% chance you will) because we can't order them

Comment

Gorgeous. I'm feeling that will be my senior prom wear. Forget a tux.

Comment

Wear a tux, dont' be that guy. You MIGHT not be the only person enlisting in the Armed Forces in your school and you might stand out in not a good way.

-im a dummy but I still stand by the previous opinion-
              Last edited by Mr_Loki; May 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                -im a dummy but I still stand by the previous opinion-
                dang man, you're trying to mess the poor guy up. There are no unit patches on the ASU, and if wearing to a prom he should wear the bow tie and have no unit crests.
                Last edited by Mr_Loki; May 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Fack, duh. And my ASU is RIGHT NEXT TO ME rofl.

Edited mine and yours (quote).

Why no Unit Crests while in "tux form"?
                  Last edited by Mr_Loki; May 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

lol...

No unit crest when worn as formal wear, just the same as with the class A's when you wore the white shirt and bow tie. Here is a link to an ALARACT that addresses the ASU. This is from the link...

"4. DRESS BLUE ASU: THE DRESS BLUE ASU INCLUDES THE ARMY BLUE COAT AND TROUSERS, A LONG-SLEEVED WHITE SHIRT AND BLACK BOW TIE FOR MALES. THE ARMY DRESS BLUE ASU FOR FEMALES INCLUDES THE ARMY BLUE COAT, SKIRT, AND A LONG-SLEEVED WHITE SHIRT WITH BLACK NECK TAB. CURRENTLY, FEMALES IN ARMY BANDS, HONOR GUARDS, AND FEMALE CHAPLAINS ARE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR ARMY BLUE SLACKS IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTIES. THE BLACK BERET AND SERVICE CAP ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH THIS UNIFORM. WHEN THE DRESS BLUE ASU IS WORN FOR EVENING SOCIAL OCCASIONS (AFTER RETREAT) COMMANDERS CAN DIRECT NO HEADGEAR REQUIRED. COMBAT BOOTS AND ORGANIZATIONAL ITEMS, SUCH AS BRASSARDS, MILITARY POLICE (MP) ACCESSORIES AND DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA (DUI) ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH THE DRESS BLUE ASU."

Comment

Fack, duh. And my ASU is RIGHT NEXT TO ME rofl.

Edited mine and yours (quote).

Why no Unit Crests while in "tux form"?
                      Too bad I cannot post my pic on here from my enlisted days.

Even when I wore my greens in tux form to our military balls; the unit crests have to be removed from the shoulder epilet. I showed up with mine and was quickly corrected by someone who "removed" them.

It is like me showing up to the ball last year wearing the regular tie instead of the bow

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        Too bad I cannot post my pic on here from my enlisted days.

Even when I wore my greens in tux form to our military balls; the unit crests have to be removed from the shoulder epilet. I showed up with mine and was quickly corrected by someone who "removed" them.

It is like me showing up to the ball last year wearing the regular tie instead of the bow
                        Really glad this thread came up, we are having our 1st Annual Ball this summer, and details are VERY slim about attire. I was just looking for info on my DUI to get my ASU ready for wear, now I know I need a bow tie!

Comment

As mentioned above, you are likely to get your ASU's at BCT. As far as purchasing them, you can do this as well through your local Post Exchange (PX) or even online. Keep in mind that most Soldiers don't fit into the dress uniforms they received in Basic. Therefore, be prepared to get them tailored or issued a whole new set!

Comment

Wear a tux, dont' be that guy. You MIGHT not be the only person enlisting in the Armed Forces in your school and you might stand out in not a good way.
                            Well I know I have a few other guys going guard too and we all agreed to wear'em

Comment

Originally posted by Rfreemanva View Post
                              Well I know I have a few other guys going guard too and we all agreed to wear'em
                              Eh, it might seem cool to you right now because you are so new to the military. Pretty much every single time I have been required to attend a formal military function or ball that required me to wear my Class A's I wish I was wearing a civilian tux. There is so much that has to be paid attention to with formal military attire and every time I wear it I'm constantly paying attention to make sure nothing falls off lol! That I don't bump or scrape anything, make too sudden or fast movements because it would tear areas of the uniform etc. Plus its made of wool which doesn't breathe worth a ****. Its hot and constrictive and very uncomfortable. AND when wearing it everyone takes notice of you, obviously because it looks sharp. But you have to remember that you represent the military and being under a microscope by everyone around you while you are trying to have fun is not that fun at all.

Its also my opinion that you should avoid mixing military with civilian life because as a NG member the military is not you life, just an aspect of it. Its the same way I feel about service members who get married in their formal military uniform. You are getting married to the other person, not the military. Just my personal opinion though and no offense to anyone on here who has done that, just not for me. This is the same opinion I have in regards to new soldiers wearing Class A's/ASU's to prom, its the biggest dance in highschool so have fun with it in a highschool like attitude and attire. There will be opportunites in the military to wear the Class A's/ASU's and some might be slightly fun lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X