X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear storage

so I've recently got the new ACU "duffle" bag at a SRP and like it OK but with my deployment coming up in a tad over 2 months, I want to get a container to ship my stuff in...

Looked at the "tuff bin" at Lowes and it just didnt look too sturdy for $60... anyone found a really good box to put gear in?

Re: Gear storage

Hey I googled the Tuff Bin. And if its the one I'm thinking about my dad and I had one that held all of our tools (drills, sawzalls, and what knots) when we had to go out of town for a job a couple years ago and it worked out wonderfully. I think when we got to the airport they weighed it and it came in around 100-125 lbs. It made it through air port security and the plane ride from Nashville to Orlando without a problem. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jrm1988 View Post
      so I've recently got the new ACU "duffle" bag at a SRP and like it OK but with my deployment coming up in a tad over 2 months, I want to get a container to ship my stuff in...Looked at the "tuff bin" at Lowes and it just didnt look too sturdy for $60... anyone found a really good box to put gear in?
      How much stuff you want to have downrange? When I went to Iraq, I ended up purchasing two gorilla lockers to send stuff back home. On my last Afghanistan deployment, my unit gave us this for free so we can utilize maximum space in our containers. The link shows the exact container (Stanley Tough Box)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000Q5LZT4

This deployment, I received the new multicam stuff. Our packing lists allows us to have three duffle bags (A,B, and C bags) and we can also add a gorilla box in our conex if there is space. On top of that, my multicam rucksuck is large and there are also two assault packs given to us. My point is before you go wasting your money, find out what your unit is providing you, engage your leadership and take advantage of shipping it in your containers. Also, do not take unnecessary stuff or go overboard. If you deployed before then you know the drill.

See you downrange.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I've been issued the Stanley Tough Box for both Iraq and Afghanistan, and it's good to go! I would NOT recommend trying to drag that joker across a huge gravel parking lot with gravel the size of tennis balls, however. You'll be dragging it like a sled in summer once the wheels fall off! All in all, it holds a bunch of **** and is pretty rugged.

I also agree with fmrcityslicker about the Gorilla boxes. I shipped two here to the 'Stan and they arrived in good order.

Less is more when you come over here. The guys you RIP with will have a bunch of **** they will want to sell on the cheap, or even give away. I'd wait until you settle before you think about buying any more gear. Uncle Sugar gave me all I needed, and then some!
        Last edited by Wobbly Emu; February 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I wont be buying anymore gear.. I've got all I can stand now lol

My squad leader said he wasnt sure if we were going to be issued it or not, but said he doubted it. His last deployment to Iraq he had to buy his own.

Ill just wait until it's closer. Got less than 3 months now.

Another question, I was told whatever I ship over in the tough box, will be taken to my fob or wherever Im staying at so that I wont have to carry it like I will a bag?

Comment

You should receive your APO address before you deploy. You will receive mail call and receive your letters and packages from the mail room clerk. If shipped in your container; that container will be sent to your FOB. There should be some smooth pavements to pull your box or a gator to get your gear close to your living quarters.

Comment

Working...
            X