Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Watches

Originally posted by kgrill
    If you're going to Benning...Wait until they tell you. It was 6 years ago, but only our PG was allowed to have one.
    I went to Benning too, where they encouraged us to buy a watch. I guess there's no right answer.

Comment

Buy a watch before you go, worst case is you'll have iti n your personal bag. People bought watches while I was in OSUT, and they wante 35$ for a rinky-dink watch. I paid 25$ for my watch at wal-mart, and its a Timex Ironman. Survived all of OSUT and still works well today. I also had a 9$ walmart watch I took aswell, which is also still in operating order.

Comment

Fsbk272 thanks for the response. I went out to Walmart and bought a $15 dollar watch. Can't wait for BT....still have to take my MEPS and ASVAB!

Comment

Originally posted by bdshipley
          Fsbk272 thanks for the response. I went out to Walmart and bought a $15 dollar watch. Can't wait for BT....still have to take my MEPS and ASVAB!

no problem man! good luck

Comment

Why buy a watch if you have you cell phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
              Why buy a watch if you have you cell phone?

bahahaha.. now THAT'S funny

Comment

when i was at FLW a few weeks ago for OSUT we were allowed watches. i bought one at home and brought it with. they just have to be plain watches though and there are certain guidelines. In my experience though it was a good thing to have. After the first few weeks it helped to know how long you had to do something. People were ALWAYS asking me what time it was. Also when i was PG not having a watch would have been even harder. I say take one or at least buy one at the mini PX.

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Lowe
                  You likely will not be allowed to wear a watch until you have some sort of peer leadership i.e. squad leaders and PG. At that point only your SL and PG will be allowed to wear them. Until then, you are on DS time and you don't need to worry about what time it is.
                  Are you serious? When I went to basic in 07 they encouraged us to buy watches. ****, how the heck are you going to make time hacks when you have no idea what the time is?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816
                    Are you serious? When I went to basic in 07 they encouraged us to buy watches. ****, how the heck are you going to make time hacks when you have no idea what the time is?
                    This seems to change from base, some say you need one, others say you can't have one. We were always told, "you dont need to worry about time, we'll tell you what and when to do it".

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                      This seems to change from base, some say you need one, others say you can't have one. We were always told, "you dont need to worry about time, we'll tell you what and when to do it".
                      yeah our basic we had the PL with the only watch

Comment

Get a watch. The worst thing they can say is "no" or "good initiative, Platoon Leader" and if they say no, then use the watch in AIT when you WILL need to know the time. Use it when you are at drill and eventually overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by chd View Post
                          We weren't allowed watches until our final FTX in AIT.
                          DS: Why are you late!
                          You: I don't know what time it is because I don't have a watch.

Comment

My lady just got me a new watch... MTM Titanium BlackHawk. Crazy expensive, but its probably the lightest and best watch I've owned. Check them out if you don't mind spending a little extra $

Comment

This is a very interesting topic to me. I went through USMC bootcamp and time deprivation was part of the mental conditioning process. We were not allowed watches and there were no clocks within view in any facilities used by recruits. The only time you ever saw a clock was at night for firewatch. The DI would put a digital clock in the window of the DI house at taps and take it down just before reveille. Not ever knowing what time it is can mess with your head sometimes, lol.

Comment

I like the MTM's, which one did you get? And go figure an LT would flaunt a watch, the type of which I have been wanting for a couple of years now (yes I have had the catalogue for that same amount of time

As to BCT - take a watch - not a GPS watch - but a basic G-Shock or Ironman... it (the watch you get) shoud be able to take a bit of abuse, be simple - not stick out from your wrist like you have another hand, HAVE ALL THE ALARMS DISABLED. The advice on a cheap sturdy watch in earlier posts is sound. If you are not allowed to have it in your particular BCT, then it can be stowed in the wall-locker or your personal bags that will be locked away after reception (which will probably be the case if you show up at BCT with a GPS or Navigator watch).

If you do not have a watch (or bring one of the high-speed models that have all the gadgets, or is covered in logos or bright colors - which will end up being packed away until you finish) then you will have to jump through hoops to get whatever is available when you have an authorized chance to go to the PX (Post Exchange) to get access to the limited number or personal hygeine items you need, and may not have enough of.
                                Last edited by LRSU_Dog; January 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X