Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Sill, OK (All things related)

Originally posted by cyall
    Weak. I can't believe some BCT sites allow cell phone use.
    Theres strong then theres Army strong...LOL Mens Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
      Theres strong then theres Army strong...LOL Mens Dept.
      Wow, that one followed me to another thread. You're good.

Comment

Wow, that one followed me to another thread. You're good.
        LOL slow day..couldn't resist.

Comment

With all due respect sir, atleast in my company they were alot of older gentlemen who had families. Dont you think 1 hour on sunday is more than reasonable or should we just say forget your family no cell phones at all? I think 1 hour on sunday is good, especially for soldiers who have children. Lets say you still have to pay all your bills because you dont trust someone to do that for you. Do you just hope and pray every night that somehow the bill fairy pays the bills that you could not setup an automatic payment for? I think its very beneficial its keep recruits morale up and sometimes that is their outlet instead of waiting weeks for the DS to pass out mail. Differences of opinions, no disrespect sir.

Comment

Originally posted by SPC Booker
            With all due respect sir, atleast in my company they were alot of older gentlemen who had families. Dont you think 1 hour on sunday is more than reasonable or should we just say forget your family no cell phones at all? I think 1 hour on sunday is good, especially for soldiers who have children. Lets say you still have to pay all your bills because you dont trust someone to do that for you. Do you just hope and pray every night that somehow the bill fairy pays the bills that you could not setup an automatic payment for? I think its very beneficial its keep recruits morale up and sometimes that is their outlet instead of waiting weeks for the DS to pass out mail. Differences of opinions, no disrespect sir.
            The disconnect from "the real world" is supposed to be part of the training process. It has a purpose. Cell phones have no place in a basic training environment and are nothing more than a distraction. That is, of course, just my opinion, and no disrespect is meant on my part either.

Comment

I hope your joking right? IMO nobody deserves a phone call other than notification of arrival. It is military indoctrination not "summer camp".
              Very weak s-h-i-t IMO.

Thats what power of attorney's are for and in todays tech world "automatic bill pay". After you graduate BCT then get your cell phone out and have at it. Other than that if you earn 1 or 2 thats up to your DS.

I like the way Marine Corps trains its recruit. No co-ed platoons, No co-ed DS, and NO PHONE CALLS! Your not a Marine until you earn your EGA after 13 wks then its off to School of Infantry.

Closest training comparable to Marine Corps boot camp is 11B OSUT at Ft Benning Ga.

Comment

I had a family while at BCT. I spoke to my wife three times for a total of less than five minutes and negotiated a lease termination by letter. I agree with 0844's post.

Comment

I get the whole disconnect from the real world, however thats not the case no more. As far as marine boot, I did 10 weeks of it before I got hurt and discharged for medical reasons. I see where you get your biased opinion from, we got to MCRD and got one call and it was like 2 am nobody answered the phone and I didn't get another call the whole time till I recieved my discharge to get picked up at the airport. We got that, however the army basic training isn't the same as marine corps boot camp. Some say its soft, I say its more beneficial. Other than a cell phone once a week nothing is different. We did field exercises, ruck marches, BRM, CLS, and every other thing that any basic training does. Actually when we went to AIT, the PLT Sgts said the Fort Sill basic trainers are always more productive and better disciplined than other recruits. I can see that yall are old school DS should take you out back and beat your *** type stuff... luckily none of my DS were that big. But too each his own.

Comment

I went to BCT in 2008. I'm not that old school.

Comment

I went to BCT in 2008. I'm not that old school.
                      Dawg your old school; Cause this is what they are producing. This is the future and the perversion of "good order and discipline". What is next? Lift the ban on DADT? Really!

Comment

Actually when we went to AIT, the PLT Sgts said the Fort Sill basic trainers are always more productive and better disciplined than other recruits.
                        That's a stretch. I went to Sill for AIT, and the soldiers that went there for BCT were jokes. I came with 5 buddies from Benning, and we were amazed at how jacked up they were. There were pubes in the urinals, their beds had wrinkles in them, their towels were slung over their lockers. It was nasty. Me and those guys got our own room (308D!!!) and within a week our Platoon Sergeant was bringing guys into our room to show them what their rooms were supposed to look like.

Comment

I get the whole disconnect from the real world, however thats not the case no more. As far as marine boot, I did 10 weeks of it before I got hurt and discharged for medical reasons. I see where you get your biased opinion from, we got to MCRD and got one call and it was like 2 am nobody answered the phone and I didn't get another call the whole time till I recieved my discharge to get picked up at the airport. We got that, however the army basic training isn't the same as marine corps boot camp. Some say its soft, I say its more beneficial. Other than a cell phone once a week nothing is different. We did field exercises, ruck marches, BRM, CLS, and every other thing that any basic training does. Actually when we went to AIT, the PLT Sgts said the Fort Sill basic trainers are always more productive and better disciplined than other recruits. I can see that yall are old school DS should take you out back and beat your *** type stuff... luckily none of my DS were that big. But too each his own.
                          You got dropped for an injury and never got a single phone call? If I may ask, was this Parris Island or San Diego?

Comment

I was at san diego, I didn't get a phone call till 2 days before I left the seperation plt they have for recruits getting discharged. Ok as far as sill vs benning recruits. Many people can argue this point, our PLT sgts chose the benning guys to run our PLT as PG and APG at first and they got yanked within a week for stupid things that occurred. But no matter where you get trained there will always be dumbasses who mess it up. Basic, AIT, and even at your UNIT. But yes I will be that " good order and discipline " as you call it... soldier. Ok it was fun having this discussion with you SIR, USMC, # Guy, and PFC.

Comment

I was at san diego, I didn't get a phone call till 2 days before I left the seperation plt they have for recruits getting discharged. Ok as far as sill vs benning recruits. Many people can argue this point, our PLT sgts chose the benning guys to run our PLT as PG and APG at first and they got yanked within a week for stupid things that occurred. But no matter where you get trained there will always be dumbasses who mess it up. Basic, AIT, and even at your UNIT. But yes I will be that " good order and discipline " as you call it... soldier. Ok it was fun having this discussion with you SIR, USMC, # Guy, and PFC.
                              I see, so you were in RSP, not PEB, correct? I just ask because the outprocessing policies are different for the two platoons. If you went straight from a training platoon to RSP in Support Bn, a phone call might not have happened. If you dropped to MRP, then to either RSP or PEB, your series commander should have had you make a phone call, and you should have also been directed to make a phone call by RAC. I spent several months going through the process, so I'm intimately familiar with it. I know it's no picnic.

Comment

This thread is too long to scroll through for this, but I have to ask. I spent quite a bit of time at Sill. MOS school, and a whole bunch of TDY:

Does Marishka still work at the Golden Dragon. God, I used to be in love with that girl. I'm guessing she might be lookin' a little used up these days, so let's hope not. AHH, Dragon's. For some reason they would card everyone to get in even though you were under age. Then, once inside, they would serve whoever was in there. Oklahoma laws.

Comment

Working...
                                X