X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had our cell-hones in the bay but they were locked up in the DS office. On Sundays, depending on our behavior, we were alloved 45 minutes usually.

We did have a few weeks where we were not allowed the opp.

Take it with you at least-

Comment

Sill

We never saw cell phones throughout my Basic Training with A/1-19 from January-March 2008. We had one phone call in red phase for three minutes, white phase we had a 5 minute one, and blue phase a 10 minute phone call. Of course half the time was spent dialing through the phone cards line. Different batteries have different standards.

Comment

I was in A1/19 jan-mar 2009 we were able to use our cell phones on sundays for 4 hours

Comment

Originally posted by PFC West
          I was in A1/19 jan-mar 2009 we were able to use our cell phones on sundays for 4 hours
          That would have made quite a difference for a lot of guys. What platoon were you in? Who were your Drill Sergeants? I know several left after my cycle.

Comment

4th platoon Raiders DS Iozzo DS McCarty DS Maclain having the phones did boost morale it gave you something to look forward to on sundays

Comment

no cell phones when i went back in feb 07 until day before family day but we were allowed a few minutes on sundays to use the phone was in c-1/40th

Comment

Re: Fort Sill, OK (All things related)

Shippin to Fort Sill on June 15th and can't wait to get this experience going.

Comment

I was in F/1-19th. Anyone from that battery here at all? I was there August 12th-October 24th. We got to use our cell phones a couple times on sundays. We used the pay phones though alot. My first phone call was 2 minutes total. Didnt get to call agian till white phase when we were granted ell phone usuage for about 30 mins. Blue Phase we barely got to call. The last 2 weeks none at all not until the morning of family day. It was all mostly because of my Platoon DS. He was a bit of a pain.

Comment

Back in the late 90's when I was at Sill they didn't allow anyone the use of cell phones. We had pay phones on the wall right outside our Battery offices (B-1/79) as did all the other Batteries. But if you were caught using one you got an immediate Art 15 unless it was authorized phone time.

Back then, you were allowed to use the phones at the call center during a weekend pass to the shopette or Gunner's Inn. The call center was a small mobile home-type structure with a bunch of little stalls, sort of like the toilets in a restroom but without doors. Each stall had a phone, and you didn't need a calling card to use it. When you went inside you had to wait a few minutes for a phone to become available, and then the attendant would show you which phone you could use. You could then pick it up and call where ever you wanted, and when you were done you got a "bill" for the total time used. The call center was hosted by AT&T or one of the other major providers, and the rate wasn't that bad.

Towards the end of BCT phase and during AIT phase, we started being allowed to use the phones in the Battery on Sundays for a few hours. There were about 8 phones, and soldiers got to use them as long as they wanted to during phone hours. You had to stand in line and wait until one became available, and most recruits were good about not staying on too long. You did need a calling card for those, and of course you could buy calling cards at the PX or any shopette.

The reason they wanted soldiers using the payphones instead of cell phones was because the only calling cards available were either the ones you got in the mail from family (which was rare), or 98% of the time they were the cards purchased from AAFES. The military made money off the usage, it was the same principal as requiring soldiers to buy their running shoes on post even if they brought a brand new identical pair from home. The calling centers also gave a portion of their profits to the post, so basically any phone calls from recruits were making the post a profit.

It's hard for me to imagine how or when they started allowing recruits to use cell phones, think of all the money the post is losing from the lack of AAFES calling card purchases or call center usage. I'm sure it's nice for the recruits, no more waiting in lines outside in the freezing cold or burning heat, trying to talk to your family and friends over the yells of other people on the quad. I also see it being a huge pain in the rear for each Platoon's DS having to keep track of all the cell phones and making sure all are secured after use. And don't people realize that the extra money it costs using a National calling plan to avoid roaming charges isn't really worth the convenience?

But then again, I still remember the day they changed all the washers and dryers to require quarters to use. They came in and installed all the devices on all the machines and then installed change dispensers in the wash rooms. A few months later, they started installing alarm systems on the platoon doors which would be turned on at night to make sure nobody tried sneaking out past lights out. But that was due to the post becoming GIT, Gender-Integrated, and they didn't want the males and females sneaking out together. Lots of things have changed since I left, so I guess allowing cell phones was just one more change waiting to happen.

When I was still a recruit there I didn't really use the phones too often when we did get the time. I'd call just to say hello and let them know I was doing ok, and saved the rest of the chat for letters. I tried to spend all my spare pass time playing billiards at the Gunner's Inn or making sure I had my common tasks down solid. Plus a nice 1-liter bottle of Coke had my name on it over at the shopette every weekend, wow that cold drink never tasted so good.

Comment

Hey out there

I'm 'bout to leave for Basic and AIT
                      ShipDate:20090624

Anyone have a date close to that?

Comment

Just finished up BCT at Ft Sill. Good times!

Comment

It is FREAKING HOT HERE!!! It's been triple digits here evrey day since the middle of June and it keeps getting hotter. Advice to anyone coming here, Get hydrated before you get here and get in shape. We have had some one fall out from heat related injuries about everyday because they weren't drinking enough water.

Comment

Originally posted by tnguy28
                            It is FREAKING HOT HERE!!! It's been triple digits here evrey day since the middle of June and it keeps getting hotter. Advice to anyone coming here, Get hydrated before you get here and get in shape. We have had some one fall out from heat related injuries about everyday because they weren't drinking enough water.
                            This was true in my battery as well. Lots of heat related injuries and fallouts. You will have sweat rolling down your body under your ACU's from just standing outside, much less training. It's friggin hot. And you will be shocked how many peeps come into BCT in horrible shape, evidently banking on BCT to get them into shape. Hint: get your butt into shape before leaving for training. Put down the beer, the soda, the video game controller, whatever it is, and go into BCT in as good of shape as possible. Start drinking water, and lots of it. Trust me, it will make a difference. Fort Sill is friggin hot and humid in the summer.

Comment

Hey Batson whats going on? I went to ft sill C 1/19th with dedicated. It was hot but as long as u stay hydrated u shouldn't have a big issue. Cell phones we got them what on sunday for 1-2 hrs. But hey batson look me up I got a facebook or e-mail me paulbookerjr@yahoo.com I talked to barber the other day. Aw and my AIT is done I'm back at home its nice a comfy... lol

Comment

ship to ft. sill 07/05/09... besides hotness what's there to expect? my uncle went there for BCT back in 2000 but he wont talk about it too much... said i've gotta figure it out

Comment

Working...
                                X