X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the house in 30 minutes or so to head to the hotel. I will check in when I get the chance, maybe the last week of BCT, maybe at some point during AIT, maybe not until I get back in October. I really thought the nerves would have set in by now, but I'm still not nervous. I'm very very bummed to be leaving the family, that dread has built over the past two months and it's a torrent right now, but I really expected to develop some anxiety about the training itself by this point. None whatsoever. Thanks to all for your help and advice during this whole process.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedicated
      Booker, what is the scheduled start date of your training? I ship 20090421, with a scheduled training start date of 20090427.

you there for basic or WTC?

Comment

Originally posted by roadwarrior038
        you there for basic or WTC?
        duh! just noticed....hey, im leaving tomorow for wtc at ft sill....we start the same day but will be in different programs...ill be with all the old timers...LOL...good luck

Comment

He is gone by now but he is there for BCT as a 09S. We had PM'ed back and forth a bit since we are in similar situations...

Comment

I was at Fort Sill for OSUT and later Active Duty from 1-98 to 7-99, so I got to see all the weather changes and almost every foot of the post.

Weather during the summer can be very hot, and will usually feel just as hot in the shade because of the dry heat. The lack of mountains around the area mean the wind usually blows pretty strongly, so even in the shade the hot air will be blowing past you. If you attend during the summer, listen to your cadre and make sure you are drinking plenty of water before, during, and after any physical activities. Also be aware that in some places like RETS and the firing ranges, high winds have been known to blast dirt and sand into your eyes if you aren't paying attention.

During the fall season, you will probably start seeing mild to heavy hail storms, plenty of rain, cold heavy winds, and maybe even a few tornadoes like we did. We had three tornadoes blast the post while I was there, nothing like walking out of the chow hall getting beaned by golfball-sized hail while the wind almost carries you away.

Winters are the complete opposite of the summers, and will get very cold. We only got about 1-2 inches of snowfall while I was there, but the main problem is the hard freezing winds. Again, because there is no mountain range to provide wind blockage, wind chill can make it cold enough to feel like Alaska at times. Don't worry though, you'll be issued enough cold-weather gear but expect numb ears and runny noses until the spring thaw.

As for training, and this is nothing personal against the cadre at Ft. Sill, but don't expect your training to be up to par like that at Ft. Benning. While Sill does a good job at teaching the basics of soldier skills, don't expect to have as good an FTX as Benning might provide. The training areas are nice though, although maybe a little boring on some marches due to the awfully flat terrain. You will also find a mix of MOS's between the cadre, but each one still knows their stuff. At first I was shocked to see some of my Drill Sergeants were infantry, supply, admin, etc but they all taught the FA skills just the same.

Personally, I went through the gas chamber every chance I got. If our Battery wasn't teaching a cycle, I would ask to go with another battery from our battalion or from a friendly battalion. The CS will clear out your nasal passages for a few months, and after doing CS I barely had much of a runny nose during the winter. I have mild hayfever, and some of the pollen there got as big as a softball, so no runny nose in the summer was also a bonus. Besides, it was always a good laugh seeing some of those kids puking afterwards. Just wait until you watch yourself on the graduation video.

When I was there we had some very good cadre from 1-78th, the unit in charge of the motorpool and giving most of the gunline instruction during AIT. The section chiefs really took the time to explain things and made sure all questions were answered, not just passing us off to our perm duty units. Weapons pool did a good job at supplying us with the best M2's they could find, and after AIT I myself spent a lot of time in the weapons pool cleaning and maintaining so I know how ate up some of those were. You'll get a kick out of the M2 training during AIT, especially live-fire.

As for the rest of the post, at least what you'll be able to see as a trainee, Fort Sill actually was a decent post. The PX there was great, better than a lot of the other posts I've seen. The PXtra (Shopette) and Gunners Inn were great places to go on pass, and the bowling alley wasn't bad either. If you get the chance, try the MWR building. Back then they were a popular place to hang out on pass because of the television and games, including billiard table and even musical instruments on loan. Might be a little different now, but ask around.

The TMC was 50/50, some of the staff then were slow and lacking, while some were quick and did their jobs well. If you need to spend any time there, you should hope to be in and out quickly so you can get back to your unit and not miss any training. If you find good staff, they might be able to rush you through the line if they know you have special training scheduled. Just don't plan on spending much time there, because the more time at TMC means more time away from training and missing out on PT. Yes, missing PT is a bad thing.

And about PT...There is a good chance that the sewage treatment facility is still located near the ATC, and there is also a good chance that your Battalion will be running past it each morning while it's still on. So be prepared to be doing a PT run with the smell of human waste in the near-distance. Just a heads-up.

You'll love the museum, Geronimo's grave memorial, the cannon walk and missile park, I think it was Snell Hall that even had a chunk of the original Berlin Wall. Lots to see there when you have the time. That post has a lot of history.

My unit was 1/79th FA, which I'm told is actually now designated as the battalion for WTC training. So if things go my way and I can reenlist, I'll get the chance to see my old battalion again. I'm really looking forward to it, just hope I get the chance to see town again too. Lawton was a great city, and I think several of my old buddies are still living there and maybe still stationed there.

In closing, I'd like to say to anyone who is headed to Fort Sill, don't worry about anything. The cadre there are some of the best the Army has to offer, and they will take care of you. Enjoy your time there, and don't slack off. Every time you get smoked or do grass drills, don't complain about it, remember why you are there and just push harder. Don't give up, and help your fellow soldiers.

Feel free to ask any other questions, and I'll try to answer them. Just take into consideration that I haven't been to Sill since around Dec 99, so a few things (like post going from open to closed, etc) have changed. But I'll do my best.

Comment

Originally posted by GutshotStraight
              Totally normal, just keep working out and eating right. Have you memorized the 3 General orders, army song, rank structure, etc.?

This will help ease the shock when you get to the 95th (reception) and guys are stressed about getting those down.

Good luck!

The Soldiers Creed is very big there also will be doing it at almost every formation and start of most classes was at Sill in 07

Comment

dedicated is luckey, i still gotta wait 6 more days, am being really lazy lool and enjoying every civilian moment i can earn, this 1 week, is gonna be freedom week, no worries about anything at all

Comment

Roger that! I forgot to mention the Soldier's Creed in that last post...It is a must-

Every morning at the 95th and at BCT the Battery will sound off with the Soldier's Creed, and it better be loud!

Comment

Other than rumor

Anyone know if the rumors regarding the School of Artillery moving to another Fort are true? (Anything "Concrete"?)

??????

Since the School of Artillery is in Ft. Sill, I thought this place to be an appropriate location to ask this.

Over the past few weeks, even from Red Legs, I've been hearing of rumors going around regarding the school moving. I'm wondering if anyone has any concrete information whether or not this is actually true?

Comment

Originally posted by Draco771
                      Anyone know if the rumors regarding the School of Artillery moving to another Fort are true? (Anything "Concrete"?)

??????

Since the School of Artillery is in Ft. Sill, I thought this place to be an appropriate location to ask this.

Over the past few weeks, even from Red Legs, I've been hearing of rumors going around regarding the school moving. I'm wondering if anyone has any concrete information whether or not this is actually true?
                      I would highly doubt the chance of the FATC moving to another post. Fort Sill has served as the FA school since 1911 and the area has been pretty much the best area possible for this purpose. The impact ranges have taken a huge beating and I can't see it possible to rezone that land for anything other than maybe a landfill, so selling the land would be pointless as well.

The only other place that could host the FA school might be Ft. Bliss, which is where 13M (MLRS) crews do their training, but that post isn't large enough to sustain everything that Ft Sill has required. It would be like trying to move the Infantry school to Ft Stewart or something, just not possible or feasible in my opinion.

You also have to remember that Ft Sill is the home to other training programs in addition to FA, and when/if the military decides to close a couple more posts you can be sure Ft Sill is on the bottom of the list just like Benning, Knox, Bragg, or Sam Houston. Just too much going on to close the post, and no reason to move the FA school (their largest and primary purpose).

Until I hear myself some solid information about a possible move, it will be passed off as rumors and bad ones at that. I just can't see another post supporting the FA school, it's just too big and too complex to move. You'd have to bring with it the FIRES center, FA Master Gunner school, and a few other FA-related courses with it. And due to so much history of FA there, that would be like moving Airborne training to Ft Irwin.

Comment

ft sill is a great post with lost of history but if you dont mind me saying fort knox has loads of history with armor and they just got it pulled from them so really know base is safe with brac

Comment

Originally posted by Draco771

??????

http://sill-www.army.mil/firesbullet..._2009/main.asp

The US Army Air Defense Artillery School is moving from Ft. Bliss to Ft. Sill.

The Field Artillery School at Ft. Sill is not going anywhere, the army is simply improving efficiency by moving one artillery program to the main site. It is no different than the current planned move of the armor school at Ft. Knox to Ft. Benning to create the Maneuver Center for Excellence school.
                          Last edited by plano2001; April 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

See, that I could see happening easily. I always wondered why they had MLRS crews training at a different post than Sill even though we had active units at Sill firing MLRS on a weekly basis. It just makes sense to keep them there. As for the ADA though, I feel they would be better kept at a post other than Sill, one where a drone-towing range is available. But then again, I've heard they are also now going to be building some new top-notch training areas for the ADA at Sill so it should work out as an improvement.

I was a little surprised to hear that Armor was moving to Benning. All my life it was made easy to understand that Knox was home of the Armor, and if you wanted to be a tanker you'd be spending a lot of time there. I haven't been to Benning in many years, but I'm curious how they plan to integrate the entire Armor School onto a post that is already packed full of additional schools. Fort Benning is starting to sound more and more like the playground of combat arms soldiers.

The people in Lawton are going to be thrilled though, it'll mean more jobs for them. It hit pretty hard when the Crusader program was cancelled, they had planned to build the plant in Elgin I think and it was going to give a lot of locals some employment, but when they scrapped the program it was not welcome news. I can see Lawton being a lot bigger and busier in the coming years.

But I also have to wonder what's going to happen to El Paso and the community around Bliss right now. What is going to be left of the post, and how many there will be out of work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja2dan
                              But I also have to wonder what's going to happen to El Paso and the community around Bliss right now. What is going to be left of the post, and how many there will be out of work?
                              The local Chamber of Commerce has a posted letter welcoming all the people relocating from the Ft. Bliss area, so I imagine at least some of them are making the move to Georgia.

Comment

So I just came back from the dentist where the recepcionist's son is in BCT at Sill right now and she said they get to keep cell phones all throughout reception and on the weekends after that. I thought that's pretty cool. I'm sure it can either be a good thing or bad depending on each person. I'd personally prefer not to use it a lot. After all I'll be there to experience becoming a soldier.

Comment

Working...
                                X