Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing for BCT for Ft. Sill

Hello All,

I signed late in December for the Texas National Guard and will be shipping to BCT at Ft. Sill in May. I am 26 (will be 27 day after I ship) and my MOS is 09S. I have seen several packing lists and have read many suggestions, all the way from bringing everything on the list to bring bare essentials and purchase items at the PX. What is best to do in this situation? I have no problem planning ahead and bringing everything listed, but if I am being forced to purchase more items at the PX event though I already packed them, why not just travel light and buy the items at Reception Battalion? Thanks for your help. Also, any heads up about Ft. Sill and what to expect will be appreciated!

Re: Packing for BCT for Ft. Sill

What I generally advise applicants is to pack the personal items you cannot live without for a few days to a week. Nearly everything you need will be at the PX, so leave those unnecessary items for the PX. This, of course, does not apply to identification items and copies of important documents. You may think you don't need them until you do. Better to be safe than sorry! Have you seen this packing list?

Comment

I have seen that list, thank you, plus several others. Mainly I am just wondering about packing the "non-essentials": pad locks, laundry soap, stationary (notebooks, envelopes, etc). Things that I won't need until BCT starts and that I can live without for a few days. In my personal life, I am always prepared (mostly over prepared) so I have no problem bringing everything on the list, if only to give myself peace of mind.

Comment

RyCass gives good advice, so I'll just say good luck! Fort Sill can get a little warm in the summer, so be prepared for that. But, being from Houston/Galveston area, you shouldn't have a problem. There's not much in the way of humidity in Lawton, so you should be fine.

Once you get back, if you've got questions about the TXARNG OCS program, let me know, and I'll be happy to answer them.

Comment

I'd hate to tell you not to bring something, and when you get there, you need it! Perhaps some new graduates from BCT can offer their own experiences. It's been a while since I've been myself!

Comment

Thank you both for the help. I will probably end of packing everything and having double everything after a trip to the PX! Our maybe the DS's will make me do PT while the other recruits are shopping! I have several months to decide on what to pack. Thanks again. And thank you knelson for the offer to help when I begin OCS.

Comment

Take minimal. We went to the px at like day 4/5? Laundry sheets or soap was like gold...no one had any.

Take a lock. Take a change of boxers (I wore under armour compression shorts all through basic at Sill). Some soap (most of us preferred body wash). Chap stick, lotion. Pre addressed and stamped envelopes to those ou plan to write often. Dr Scholls (we were allowed these too).

Wear your own NEW (newer..as new as possible..broken in but not busted..you get it) that aren't flashy and vibrant, minimalist or fancy smancy ones. Some white over ankle socks. Disposable razor and small shaving cream.

When you go to the px buy more detergent, more socks (white gets brown quick), more shaving cream and razors (maybe3 weeks/month worth). Never know when your next PX trip will be. Like I said, body wash was easier and most popular.

Cellphone and charger. Some ziplock bags too, quart size. Hide a Sharpie somewhere too.

All should fit in your NG backpack. This was basically what I packed and I still had to buy stuff in the PX, required packing stuff that they tell you to buy.

Feel free to PM me. I went to Sill then OCSas well.

Comment

Originally posted by stujack5786 View Post
                Our maybe the DS's will make me do PT while the other recruits are shopping!.
                They won't have the time for that unless you really screw up. Reception is a busy place at Sill

Comment

Can I bring my watch to BCT? It is just a normal Casio watch from Walmart. I need it to wake me up before the Drill Sergeants wake me up

Comment

Originally posted by npthaiduong View Post
                    Can I bring my watch to BCT? It is just a normal Casio watch from Walmart. I need it to wake me up before the Drill Sergeants wake me up
                    Yes, and cheap is good.

Comment

FireGuards are much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        FireGuards are much cheaper.
                        Even better when they fall sleep and the entire rotation gets screwed up. Much "lulz" to be had when you wake up.

Comment

Can I volunteer to be a FireGuard? I used to do that when I was in BoyScout every time we went camping. As a former Scout Master (Wood Badge), I like to take more responsibility, help me grow faster

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            Even better when they fall sleep and the entire rotation gets screwed up. Much "lulz" to be had when you wake up.
                            lol. I am guilty of laying down on the empty rack during guard. But that was decades ago, so I can admit it now haha.

Can I volunteer to be a FireGuard? I used to do that when I was in BoyScout every time we went camping. As a former Scout Master (Wood Badge), I like to take more responsibility, help me grow faster
                            Perhaps for extra cash but there is a FireGuard roster that is listed by alphabetical order. So depending on the numbers in your platoon, you should get it like every 8 days. I had 70 trainees in my platoon. I would keep that "wood" badge to yourself.

Comment

Thank you Chief for your advice. I truly understand what you meant . My respect.

Comment

Working...
                              X