X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you postpone your AIT date?

My husband completed Basic in November 2012 came home and started OCS in May 2013 decided against OCS shortly after. He went back to MEPS and reworked his contract and now has an AIT date for Sept 2013. He has started a very long hiring process for a great job recently. He completed a written test in June and now he is preparing for a physical test he will have to take in August, then they move forward into Formal interviews, polygraphs, and psychological testing which will go well into or past Sept of this year. If he is forced to leave during this process he will lose a potentially great job. I know that his current employer is required to ensure him a job at or equal to what he is doing now when he comes back from AIT but this is just a prospective employer. Has anyone ever heard of a soldier getting their AIT moved for extenuating circumstances? He's been in for so long already and was just assigned an MOS I worry they won't want to postpone for that reason.

Re: Can you postpone your AIT date?

Hmm.....

I say plead you case with your units RRNCO. Give them documentation and what not. The more, the merrier. It's better to address it now then in Sept.

Most units will work with soldiers, especially those who are trying to better themselves.

Comment

If it is really a big issue, he needs to address it with his chain-of-command immediately whether he is already back in a real unit or still under the umbrella of your state's Recruting & Retention. They may be able to help him in such an istance, but it also depends on where the unit is in it's readiness cycle, how short it is on qualified soldiers in that particular MOS, and also on your husband's status.

What I mean by your husband's status is when did he enlist? Soldiers only have 2 years to become MOS qualified before they are then discharged. We unfortunately have a candidate who has been in OCS so long and she just failed out, but she's been in the NG for 3 years without going to AIT or completing OCS so she is being discharged.

Comment

OP, his best option right now maybe just to bow out of the whole NG. I want to say he's only got a year upon completing BCT to be doing something like OCS or being MOS qualified. Given the dates you posted, it sounds like he'll go over that time and be involuntarily separated.

Reading between the lines, he’s looking at some form of law enforcement. Is he going to put of the academy or probation to finish BCT?

Comment

It would bite if he doesn't get the job and still gets booted. Then we'll hear the would've, could've, and should've.

Comment

Working...
          X