X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband shipping out to LW in sep'13

My husband is 31 years old, and we have 3 small children the oldest being 8.... They want to send daddy letters and pictures and notes and what not but I do not want to over run him with things that might get him more scrutiny... I want the kids to be able to send him letters, and pictures of soccer games and school projects or what not but I do not know what is acceptable and what is not any insights? also because he is "older" how do you think that will go over in basic I assume 99% of the recruits are young teen/adults.... Thanks

Re: Husband shipping out to LW in sep'13

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
    My husband is 31 years old, and we have 3 small children the oldest being 8.... They want to send daddy letters and pictures and notes and what not but I do not want to over run him with things that might get him more scrutiny... I want the kids to be able to send him letters, and pictures of soccer games and school projects or what not but I do not know what is acceptable and what is not any insights? also because he is "older" how do you think that will go over in basic I assume 99% of the recruits are young teen/adults.... Thanks
    Letters and pictures are fine, just don't send any food. Yes, he will be older than most of the recruits in his class. But don't worry, it's not a big deal. He's not the first old guy to go through basic training.

Comment

I just got back from BCT at Fort Leonard Wood. Letters and Pictures are fine and just as the CW2 said, NO FOOD. Also, we had one guy who was 32 years old and was from Israel, he served in the IDF before he moved over to the US and he was treated just the same as us 17 year olds who knew absolutely nothing about the military.

Comment

I was 37 when I went through Fort Sill (the oldest in my 274 person battery and 11 years older than the next youngest), got called grandma alot but it was no big deal. Had a great time!

Comment

I went through BCT at FLW and had a blast. We had several (about 6) that were 30 and over. He will be picked on by recruits and maybe the DS but its all fun. He'll get called "old man" or "grandpa" but in the army we have no feelings so he should suck it up now. I was called names like that as well and I was only 26 but that's a big difference to a room full of teens and young adults ranging from 17-21. Otherwise tell him to embrace the suck. Its hot and miserable there in the heat and worst in the cold. The weather will change as quick as you blink your eyes.

Comment

Appears the OP no longer cares lol. But hey, if he does 20 straight, he can retire at a age that will be younger when I do.

Comment

Working...
            X