Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change MOS post enlist but 5 mos prior to BCT ship?

How hard is it to change MOS after enlisting? I'm currently listed at 94M but that seems to require 2 yrs experience with radars, which I don't have. And more personally, I saw something about 45 weeks of AIT. Ouch!

Don't get me wrong, all things being equal I'd love full time school for almost a year. But all things aren't equal, namely my day job, wife, and finances, which may not survive that long of an absence.

Re: Change MOS post enlist but 5 mos prior to BCT ship?

Is it possible to change your MOS after enlistment? Yes. Keep in mind, if you enlisted for any additional benefits such as a cash bonus or GI Bill Kicker you'll likely lose them.

My question, was it explained to you upon enlistment that your AIT was 45 weeks? If your MOS requires two years of radar experience and you don't have that, you wouldn't have been able to enlist with that MOS.

Concerning finances, keep in mind if you're married you'll receive your base pay along with a housing allowance to help offset any financial difficulties. Also, with some of the longer AIT's your family may be authorized to stay with you.

Comment

Oregon apparently doesn't have bonuses now (or at least not that apply to me), so that's not an issue. Good points about the financial bennies and requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by rnesser View Post
        Oregon apparently doesn't have bonuses now (or at least not that apply to me), so that's not an issue. Good points about the financial bennies and requirements.
        It's also a marketable skill in the civilian world...

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          It's also a marketable skill in the civilian world...
          Tks Tx, good intel. I've got a great job now that takes care of me very well, thanks to my intel experience and AF-funded education, but I'm never closed off to new opportunities.

Comment

Working...
          X