X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOS changing before BCT?

I'm currently a 12B combat engineer, scheduled to ship to split-op OSUT in 18 days, and was curious about possibly swapping my MOS. I want to join the civilian law enforcement field after serving in the military, and was wondering about switching to 31B, military police.
    I don't have a drivers license yet, would I require this for the BCT portion of 31B OSUT, or just the AIT portion?
    Would it even be possible to swap MOS's on such a short notice?
    When I enlisted, my recruiter advised me against being MP because it is too different from civilain law enfocment, however; My friend stated MP and civilian police are quit similar.
    Does anyone have any feedback of joining civilian police after serving, or feedback of being a 31B? I'm fine with with 12B, but would like to know if 31B would be a better choice. I would appreciate the advice while it is still applicable.

Re: MOS changing before BCT?

18 days before you ship?? Your chances are slim to none.... very none. You can push your recruiter and inquire about it, maybe even contact a unit that has a 31B slot available, but in all reality, you're pretty much stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmetalll View Post
      Does anyone have any feedback of joining civilian police after serving, or feedback of being a 31B? I'm fine with with 12B, but would like to know if 31B would be a better choice. I would appreciate the advice while it is still applicable.
      I agree with TxIntel 1978 that you've probably missed the boat on any chance of changing your MOS at this point. If you really want to do it you'll just have to try and re-class in a few years most likely.

As to the similarities and differences between Civilian LEO jobs and 31B, do a search on this forum about 31B. There have been very length discussions on this topic, and many very recently.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmetalll View Post
        I'm currently a 12B combat engineer, scheduled to ship to split-op OSUT in 18 days, and was curious about possibly swapping my MOS. I want to join the civilian law enforcement field after serving in the military, and was wondering about switching to 31B, military police.
        I don't have a drivers license yet, would I require this for the BCT portion of 31B OSUT, or just the AIT portion?
        Would it even be possible to swap MOS's on such a short notice?
        When I enlisted, my recruiter advised me against being MP because it is too different from civilain law enfocment, however; My friend stated MP and civilian police are quit similar.

If you're doing split-op training, then the best time to change your MOS is just before you finish the BCT portion of your training. The second that you hit reception hall you need to locate the National Guard Liason office. You need to talk to whoever is in charge there and be adamant about wanting to change your MOS early in the game. Wait however long it takes for you to talk to someone. Once you're done with BCT and go back home to RSP your counselor there can pick up where the liason left off. However, if you don't get the results you're looking for from the NG liason you can still talk to your counselor at RSP.

Now, as far as changing your MOS to 31B just so you can transition to civilian law enforcement is another matter. There is no relation between civilian law enforcement and military police other than perhaps being a member of a S.W.A.T. unit. Whether someone cares or not that you was a 31B once you're ready to make that transition depends on the civilian department you go to. Your best bet would be to do some foot work and find out for yourself before you ship to basic.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; May 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

31B is not a golden ticket to a law enforcement job. Being in the military alone is beneficial enough.

Comment

Working...
          X