X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and some comments about basic at Fort Leonard Wood

Let me preface my questions with a few comments and some background. Ive been nervously looking forward to going to basic and ait since I decided to do them back to back and hammer it out. Something that really kept me more calm about was a fraternity brother of mine who served in the national guard said that if I could survive the pledging process (which I did) that basic would be easy for me, and that seemed to make sense because I can handle yelling and mind games pretty well, however after my last drill this past weekend i'm left incredibly shaken and to be honest, scared, sad to say.

There was a drill sergeant from Fort Jackson that attended this drill and will be attending the next three drills that my RSP location is having. At one point he taught us how to march and dress-right-dress. Obviously there was a lot of yelling, but it didn't bother me. However, later on he invited us to ask him questions about basic and some of his answers deeply troubled me. I had always thought that while drill sergeants could yell at you and smoke you all they wanted, that they were not allowed to touch you unless you were attacking them or putting another soldiers life in danger, but he said differently.

Here are a few key things he said:

A private was doing land nav and went to pee without a battle buddy, the DS snuck up behind the private and choked him out. I'm not sure if he was just saying things to try to scare us or if he actually did some of these things, he also talked about how he had no issues getting physical with privates who were being stupid or not following instructions.

Another one, if a male didn't keep appropriate hygiene, he would make all the men get into a line or loop in the shower and make them march around the showers and scrub themselves and the person in front of them. I understand that they have to be clean, but enforcing it in that way seems to border on sexual harassment in a sense or at least certainly not something that is ethical and allowed.

If two privates were caught having sex he would do everything within his power to get them dishonorably discharged under article 15(?) for fraternization, and that he would make them pay for it. I understand that its a very bad idea to have sex in basic and you really should just tough it out, but I didn't think it was illegal per say or forbidden completely.

Finally if somebody in the unit f's up, can they really deny sleep for extended amounts of time?

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on whether these type of actions are allowed by drill instructors and also what type of drill instructors there are at Fort Leonard Wood. Maybe it's just me, but this drill instructor seems to be taking it too far..

Re: Questions and some comments about basic at Fort Leonard Wood

Anybody want to comment on this...

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't look too much into these kinds of rumors. Many times these stories are circulated to intimidate recruits to keep them in line.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeGuard View Post
        Let me preface my questions with a few comments and some background. Ive been nervously looking forward to going to basic and ait since I decided to do them back to back and hammer it out. Something that really kept me more calm about was a fraternity brother of mine who served in the national guard said that if I could survive the pledging process (which I did) that basic would be easy for me, and that seemed to make sense because I can handle yelling and mind games pretty well, however after my last drill this past weekend i'm left incredibly shaken and to be honest, scared, sad to say.

There was a drill sergeant from Fort Jackson that attended this drill and will be attending the next three drills that my RSP location is having. At one point he taught us how to march and dress-right-dress. Obviously there was a lot of yelling, but it didn't bother me. However, later on he invited us to ask him questions about basic and some of his answers deeply troubled me. I had always thought that while drill sergeants could yell at you and smoke you all they wanted, that they were not allowed to touch you unless you were attacking them or putting another soldiers life in danger, but he said differently.

Here are a few key things he said:

A private was doing land nav and went to pee without a battle buddy, the DS snuck up behind the private and choked him out. I'm not sure if he was just saying things to try to scare us or if he actually did some of these things, he also talked about how he had no issues getting physical with privates who were being stupid or not following instructions.

Another one, if a male didn't keep appropriate hygiene, he would make all the men get into a line or loop in the shower and make them march around the showers and scrub themselves and the person in front of them. I understand that they have to be clean, but enforcing it in that way seems to border on sexual harassment in a sense or at least certainly not something that is ethical and allowed.

If two privates were caught having sex he would do everything within his power to get them dishonorably discharged under article 15(?) for fraternization, and that he would make them pay for it. I understand that its a very bad idea to have sex in basic and you really should just tough it out, but I didn't think it was illegal per say or forbidden completely.

Finally if somebody in the unit f's up, can they really deny sleep for extended amounts of time?

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on whether these type of actions are allowed by drill instructors and also what type of drill instructors there are at Fort Leonard Wood. Maybe it's just me, but this drill instructor seems to be taking it too far..
        DS cannot touch you unless you are putting the life of yourself or someone else in danger, i.e. you are on a live range and point your weapon at someone while trying to clear a jam (saw this happen....super tackle). The hygiene thing...it's very possible. We never got that far, but we had "that guy" in our bay that didn't like to shower and when we called the CQ to tell them...a storm of DS marched in and made that guy go shower.

They'll pretty much kick your butt if you fraternize at BCT. You're there to learn and become a soldier, not get in a relationship. Some relationships are strictly prohibited, i.e. between a permanant party soldier and an initial entry trainee at BCT. Google AR 600-20 for more info.

Sleep is a privelege really. The whole 7 hours of sleep thing...really doesn't apply. Just ask me. We had a late night (at Ft. Jackson) and were instructed to go straight to bed (minus those with fireguard duties, etc.). Well we had a guy not on fireguard or any other duty up after lights out reading something with his red lens and his locker was open. The DS on CQ duty was walking through on inspection and spotted him, got our whole bay up, took us outside, and smoked us until we couldn't do any more exercises. We had a PT test the next morning. It happens but you'll suck it up.

If you're that scared, google TRADOC Reg 350-6. It "basically" lays out what cadre can and can't do to you.

Comment

Working...
        X