X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain OSUT?

I'm going to 31B OSUT next month. Can someone explain the difference between this and the normal basic then ait route? Is it just basic and ait mixed into one the whole time? Is there a graduation for basic in the middle of it?

Re: Can someone explain OSUT?

OSUT is a program where you would complete both BCT and AIT in one unit back to back. From my understanding, there may be some break for BCT but not like the traditional route.

Comment

When I did OSUT as a 19k back about 14 years ago....Our basic was 8 weeks, then we had 3 days off for a "family weekend", then we went into our 8 weeks of AIT. So it was a total of 16 weeks with a 3 day break in between.

I actually liked this format because you stay in that same mindset of being in Basic without that lul in waiting for your AIT school date.

Comment

So I should expect some sort of family day?

Comment

When I went to Fort Sill, although I was not OSUT, we ALL had family day, the next day BCT graduation and then everyone but OSUT left at some point. OSUT rode across the tracks to their AIT barracks and continued on with training.

Some OSUT combine the graduations (no BCT graduation) but at Fort Sill, even the OSUTs went through BCT graduation. This was just last summer (2011).

Comment

I did 31B OSUT when I enlisted in 2006. There are some advantages and disadvantages, depending on the type of person you are. (I loved it personally)

1. Obviously OSUT means that your BCT and AIT are one singular unit, when I enlisted I was at FT Leonard Wood for 19 weeks (9 BCT + 10 AIT)
            2. You will ONLY have 31B Drill Sergeants (DS) and there will ONLY be 31B recruits in your company - This was great for me because your DS can actually mentor you and give you advice based on your specific MOS.
            3. There are 5 phases (Red, White, Blue, Black, and Gold). Red through Blue is ALL basic soldier skills, there isn't a whole lot of MP specific training here. Black and Gold phase is sort of your AIT phase where you do all the 31B 10 level training.
            4. You're company will be competing with the other companies in your battalion (795th, 796th, or 787th) for APFT, Academic, and Marksmanship (BRM). The way it worked while I was there is whichever company scores the highest in those 3 areas is awarded a 2-day off post pass between Blue and Black phase. (That is the only break we got)

Hope it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by A_Mac View Post
              I did 31B OSUT when I enlisted in 2006. There are some advantages and disadvantages, depending on the type of person you are. (I loved it personally)

1. Obviously OSUT means that your BCT and AIT are one singular unit, when I enlisted I was at FT Leonard Wood for 19 weeks (9 BCT + 10 AIT)
              2. You will ONLY have 31B Drill Sergeants (DS) and there will ONLY be 31B recruits in your company - This was great for me because your DS can actually mentor you and give you advice based on your specific MOS.
              3. There are 5 phases (Red, White, Blue, Black, and Gold). Red through Blue is ALL basic soldier skills, there isn't a whole lot of MP specific training here. Black and Gold phase is sort of your AIT phase where you do all the 31B 10 level training.
              4. You're company will be competing with the other companies in your battalion (795th, 796th, or 787th) for APFT, Academic, and Marksmanship (BRM). The way it worked while I was there is whichever company scores the highest in those 3 areas is awarded a 2-day off post pass between Blue and Black phase. (That is the only break we got)

Hope it helps!
              That did help, thank you! How did you like being an MP?

Comment

(unofficially) There are two types of MP units: Combat MP & Garrison MP. 31B is such a versatile job that you will have access to A LOT of training. You'll go to MP specific courses as well as the infantry courses. I loved it!

There are two pieces of advice that will serve you well as you begin this career:
                - Volunteer for EVERYTHING. Even when it's 1900 on the last day of drill, take the initiative to just sweep the floor or something, it will set you apart and really impress your leadership.
                - ALWAYS pass your PT tests. Doesn't matter if it's a diagnostic or record. From a leadership perspective, if one of my soldiers doesn't have the self motivation to pass an APFT then I doubt he/she is capable of any additional responsibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Mac View Post

Hope it helps!
                  So wait. I'm slightly confused. I ship 20130109 to FLW and I also have AIT there which shows a 3 day gap between BCT and AIT. Does that mean I'm OSUT?

88M

Comment

Everyone (newbies), you are getting confused on simple semantics. OSUT just simply means that you do your Basic and AIT at one location without going anywhere else. Mostly combat arms will have this type of training where you had the same drill sergeants (cadre) for the whole duration.

In my case, I was split-op but attended OSUT. Just did 12B Basic at FLW in 1983 and 12B AIT in 1984. I experienced different companies and different cadre but my orders said OSUT. Anyway, who cares. In order to become initially MOSQ and move out of IET status, you have to complete BCT and AIT regardless if it's OSUT or not.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

If you're OSUT it will say so on your paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                        If you're OSUT it will say so on your paperwork.
                        Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X