Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect at Ft.Leonard Wood?

What to expect at Ft.Leonard Wood?

Re: What to expect at Ft.Leonard Wood?

I've moved your question to the appropriate forum. You should be able to get some great feedback now!

Comment

FLW - Heat, Rain, Mud.

Hydrate, work on PT, listen to your cadre - other than that, keep a positive mental attitude, no worries.

Comment

I'm not in the guard yet but I have spent a great deal of time near Ft. Leonardwood. Expect exteme weather. High temps in summer, cold wet and windy in the winter. CHECK YOURSELF FOR TICS! You'll walk through knee high grass and end up with 30+ seed tics crawling up your legs.

Comment

Here's my deal: My paperwork stated that I would only be in Fort Lost in the Woods for 2 days of in processing, then ship to AIT at NCBC in Gulfport MS. 2 days turned into 2 WEEKS.

Convicts in maximum security prisons have it better off than incoming trainees at the Reception Battalion. Take into mind that I completed BCT at Fort Benning--while shark attack as well as perhaps the first week or two of my experience at Benning was kind of tough it was nothing in comparison to the way I was treated at Leonard Wood's reception. We were smoked within 10 minutes of arriving at 43rd because the newly enlisted kids were slow to respond to the Drill Sergeants' instructions. No one that I was aware of was ever smoked during their entire time at reception in Benning.

Leonard Wood's reception barracks are like concentration camps--small openings for windows that line the top of the walls. The glass is frosted, so you can't even see the sky. There are cameras EVERYWHERE. You're not even allowed to walk into and out of the latrines without a shirt on. Drill Sergeants bark instructions and various other information out over the P.A. system 24 hours a day. They don't know how to keep the microphone at a certain distance from their mouths, so most of what they say is muffled. Good times.

The Drill Sergeants treat chow time like shark attack everyday at Leonard Wood, whereas at Benning the Drill Sergeants were relatively calm throughout reception and eased off as time went on when you were down range. The food during reception at Leonard Wood is total garbage. Many times we just had to identify the food by color when we told the servers what we wanted. Chow was much better throughout at Fort Benning. Perhaps life is better down range at Fort Leonard Wood but I wouldn't want to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            Here's my deal: My paperwork stated that I would only be in Fort Lost in the Woods for 2 days of in processing, then ship to AIT at NCBC in Gulfport MS. 2 days turned into 2 WEEKS.

Convicts in maximum security prisons have it better off than incoming trainees at the Reception Battalion. Take into mind that I completed BCT at Fort Benning--while shark attack as well as perhaps the first week or two of my experience at Benning was kind of tough it was nothing in comparison to the way I was treated at Leonard Wood's reception. We were smoked within 10 minutes of arriving at 43rd because the newly enlisted kids were slow to respond to the Drill Sergeants' instructions. No one that I was aware of was ever smoked during their entire time at reception in Benning.

Leonard Wood's reception barracks are like concentration camps--small openings for windows that line the top of the walls. The glass is frosted, so you can't even see the sky. There are cameras EVERYWHERE. You're not even allowed to walk into and out of the latrines without a shirt on. Drill Sergeants bark instructions and various other information out over the P.A. system 24 hours a day. They don't know how to keep the microphone at a certain distance from their mouths, so most of what they say is muffled. Good times.

The Drill Sergeants treat chow time like shark attack everyday at Leonard Wood, whereas at Benning the Drill Sergeants were relatively calm throughout reception and eased off as time went on when you were down range. The food during reception at Leonard Wood is total garbage. Many times we just had to identify the food by color when we told the servers what we wanted. Chow was much better throughout at Fort Benning. Perhaps life is better down range at Fort Leonard Wood but I wouldn't want to find out.
            Sounds like good training to me!

Joking aside, nothing that you're going through is abnormal for learning military bearing and discipline. Keep in mind that every training site can dictate their own emphasis on certain aspects of training. For example, at one location meal times may be more relaxed, while at another, the Drill Sergeants may use that time to teach discipline or the reality that comfort is a secondary mission.

It's a challenge, but will be worth it in the end!

Comment

Vicer, I've read alot of your post and all you seem to do is complain. How old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerboy08 View Post
                Vicer, I've read alot of your post and all you seem to do is complain. How old are you?
                Good job resurrecting a five-month-old thread to critique someone's honest response to an open question. I award you zero points. Now, disappear.

Comment

::thumbs up:: yes sir boss man. :: poof::

Comment

Working...
                  X