Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Reception is dreamland compared to this. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reception is dreamland compared to this.

    Whatever your thoughts and experiences are about RSP, MEPS or Reception you should be thankful. Sitting here in the USO is like a waiting room for the homeless. No disrespect at all to USO. In and of itself it's a great place. Free food, internet, lounging, semi-lodging, etc.

    It's a great concept if you're only going to be there for a few minutes or even an hour while you wait for a DS to pick you up. But God help you if you have to sit there for hours on end. Best I can describe it without being too detailed or too disrespectful is it's like lost souls that are trapped between the plane of mortality and the gateway to heaven.

    Noise, noise, noise.....and more noise. At least if you're in the reception hall there's lights out and you can sleep. NOT HERE. At least at RSP you can go home at the end of the day. NOT HERE. At least at MEPS you know you'll either eventually get shipped somewhere or go home. NOT HERE.

  • #2
    Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

    Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
    Best I can describe it without being too detailed or too disrespectful is it's like lost souls that are trapped between the plane of mortality and the gateway to heaven.
    The word your looking for is Limbo

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

      The question to ask is, are you better off with the USO or without it? Would you rather sit in the public airport terminal?

      You may also wish to look at noise-reduction headphones.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

        Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        Whatever your thoughts and experiences are about RSP, MEPS or Reception you should be thankful. Sitting here in the USO is like a waiting room for the homeless. No disrespect at all to USO. In and of itself it's a great place. Free food, internet, lounging, semi-lodging, etc.

        It's a great concept if you're only going to be there for a few minutes or even an hour while you wait for a DS to pick you up. But God help you if you have to sit there for hours on end. Best I can describe it without being too detailed or too disrespectful is it's like lost souls that are trapped between the plane of mortality and the gateway to heaven.

        Noise, noise, noise.....and more noise. At least if you're in the reception hall there's lights out and you can sleep. NOT HERE. At least at RSP you can go home at the end of the day. NOT HERE. At least at MEPS you know you'll either eventually get shipped somewhere or go home. NOT HERE.
        Remember something that regardless of how " bad " it is it WILL END. All good things in life must come to an end but the same goes for the bad things as well!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

          Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
          Whatever your thoughts and experiences are about RSP, MEPS or Reception you should be thankful. Sitting here in the USO is like a waiting room for the homeless. No disrespect at all to USO. In and of itself it's a great place. Free food, internet, lounging, semi-lodging, etc.

          It's a great concept if you're only going to be there for a few minutes or even an hour while you wait for a DS to pick you up. But God help you if you have to sit there for hours on end. Best I can describe it without being too detailed or too disrespectful is it's like lost souls that are trapped between the plane of mortality and the gateway to heaven.

          Noise, noise, noise.....and more noise. At least if you're in the reception hall there's lights out and you can sleep. NOT HERE. At least at RSP you can go home at the end of the day. NOT HERE. At least at MEPS you know you'll either eventually get shipped somewhere or go home. NOT HERE.

          I would HATE to deploy with you...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

            HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^^

            USO is far superior to airport waiting areas, you can't argue w/ free cookies.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

              Originally posted by alphamikefoxtrot View Post
              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^^

              USO is far superior to airport waiting areas, you can't argue w/ free cookies.
              Sorry. I've waited in airports for hours on end many times. I could care less about free food. I'm fine with just sitting in a chair and reading a book. I don't need to be watched, tagged, and ushered like a mindless beast of burden. I also don't need to be entertained by video games and movies like a 5-year-old. Sometimes it's just better to sit there and use the free time to collect your thoughts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                I would HATE to deploy with you...
                He is still learning. The USO has provided so much for servicemembers; especially for morale in the war zones. My FOB has nothing for MWR and the USO does what it can to make the days go by faster. I use to go to the USO at Times Square and get great discounts for broadway plays.

                The USO I am most familiar with is the one at LAMBERT Field. Been there so many times during my service and I will also thank the volunteers who do not have to do it for us.

                Here is the USO wiki link

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Organizations

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                  Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                  Sorry. I've waited in airports for hours on end many times. I could care less about free food. I'm fine with just sitting in a chair and reading a book. I don't need to be watched, tagged, and ushered like a mindless beast of burden. I also don't need to be entertained by video games and movies like a 5-year-old. Sometimes it's just better to sit there and use the free time to collect your thoughts.
                  But you do realize the organization provides way more pros than cons. You the first that I see express a negative opinion about its offerings.

                  http://www.uso.org/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                    Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    But you do realize the organization provides way more pros than cons. You the first that I see express a negative opinion about its offerings.

                    http://www.uso.org/
                    At 40 years old, and having had family members in all branches of the military since WWII, I more than understand what the USO has provided for troops over the decades. This is why I was sure to say that I didn't want to be disrespectful. Surely during a time of deployment the USO provides stellar services and I'm not knocking the USO as a whole because of my personal experience with one particular location. But I'm not going to sugar coat my experience either. It is what it is. In that particular instance I could have faired better on my own in the main terminal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                      Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                      At 40 years old, and having had family members in all branches of the military since WWII, I more than understand what the USO has provided for troops over the decades. This is why I was sure to say that I didn't want to be disrespectful. Surely during a time of deployment the USO provides stellar services and I'm not knocking the USO as a whole because of my personal experience with one particular location. But I'm not going to sugar coat my experience either. It is what it is. In that particular instance I could have faired better on my own in the main terminal.
                      Well I am 46 young man lol and I would not expect you to be so cynical but I guess you are spoiled to the accustomed delicacies you constantly enjoy at the airports.

                      I am an American Express platinum holder and when I am at the airport that has an USO; I take advantage of that place instead of my VIP privileges.

                      I been serving since 17 and my first USO experienced was at the age so I guess I am a little less critical than some when it comes to that organization. Please do not go to the main PX and start criticizing AAFES now

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                        What's even better is when you completed both Basic and AIT..and you're chilling at the USO in your civi clothes cause your flight got delayed to go home...and you watch the new recruits get school'd by the DS that picks them up.. Yep. USO is fun.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                          Originally posted by Clunky91 View Post
                          What's even better is when you completed both Basic and AIT..and you're chilling at the USO in your civi clothes cause your flight got delayed to go home...and you watch the new recruits get school'd by the DS that picks them up.. Yep. USO is fun.
                          And it is. That was my point to the OP. It appears that even though he is 40, but new in the Army, his posts just reflects all the negative he has experienced up to now (e.g. finally at AIT and not dealing with the shark attacks at basic).

                          Also, I feel if you are going to contribute to this forum, you can shed some light on the positive experience. I am in Afghanistan now on another deployment and the last thing I want to do is constantly write about the bad.

                          But hey people are different and soldiers are known to bi tch. And I do not know if his rants were to vent or to inform people of something that is not necessarily true. I never saw the USO in the same light as a place for the homeless.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                            Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                            I would HATE to deploy with you...
                            Deploy? I would just hate to sit in the car with someone like that. It's going to be exactly like taking care of a child.. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Reception is dreamland compared to this.

                              Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                              Deploy? I would just hate to sit in the car with someone like that. It's going to be exactly like taking care of a child.. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

                              Hilarious. If he had that attitude as a kid and had my parents; he would have enjoyed the corner and facing the wall on countless occasions.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X