Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ruck March Adequate?

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
    If you really want to test yourself in a march, get about 50 other people to do it with you...staggered, on 4 hours of sleep, while carrying a super soaker at the ready and filled up with enough water to make it 7lbs.

Oh yeah..and you have to stop every 5 minutes while someone out of the other 50 people unscrew themselves and get in proper formation.
    This... and since you should not be running with a ruck (unless you're in a competition or getting chased by someone) get faster by increasing your stride length.

Comment

Originally posted by AirCav View Post
      You marched 123 miles? Holy moose. Is that normal?
      HAHA EDITED! I didn't notice that lol

Comment

Originally posted by NJ732 View Post
        LOL! Stop? On a road march? ¿Que?
        LOL....They don't stop at benning (maybe if your a pogue). If you fall behind the roadguard your a fallout.

Comment

Feet, ankles, and water. Keep these in good order and your DS's will do the rest.

I never got a single blister or even worn skin during BCT. I never used powder. I don't think I have particularly tough feet. What did I do? Fox River Socks. Worth every penny.

Comment

AShimon- I thought you were only allowed to bring white calf socks to BCT. Did your DS say anything about your socks?

Comment

The Fox River socks I got were from the mini-PX near my Company. They are OD Green and no my DS did not say anything. YMMV tho. I am sure you could bring a few pairs to BCT from home or attempt to buy them there.

Comment

Originally posted by AShimon View Post
                The Fox River socks I got were from the mini-PX near my Company. They are OD Green and no my DS did not say anything. YMMV tho. I am sure you could bring a few pairs to BCT from home or attempt to buy them there.
                I brought 2 pairs of Fox River socks with me, and bought another pair from the mini-PX while at Basic. Personally my favorite socks, especially for rucking. Others bought these or UnderArmour socks from the mini-PX. DS shouldn't care much about the socks.

All I can say is don't be that guy that wears his PT socks with his ACUs. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                  This is Great advice. Though you may see some people run to make it, it will hurt them in the long run or even on the same test. I walked, and sometimes slightly airborne shuffled on my 12 miler at air assault, while some of the people who passed me running were tired and slow by the last few miles, and didn't make the time, or rolled their ankles on the way. Be quick and deliberate, and short fast steps. And I'm not tall, I'm only 5'4, so don't think it's all about long legs!
                  Depends on the terrain. For instance, the 10-miler at the SF training detachment in Maryland is extremely hilly. The only way for most people to make time is to walk the inclines and run the declines.

For record events, I always count on having to do some running. I think that while training on your own, it's best to walk, although familiarizing yourself with the feel of running with a ruck on is important.

Comment

If you really want to try and measure how good you are at marching with weight on go for an eventual goal of marching 20 miles a day wearing 60 pounds and do this for 7 days straight. If you can get to that point than God Bless you!

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                      If you really want to try and measure how good you are at marching with weight on go for an eventual goal of marching 20 miles a day wearing 60 pounds and do this for 7 days straight. If you can get to that point than God Bless you!
                      That is ridiculous and there is no set of record events in any US Army course that requires that mileage per week in order to prepare for it, period. Even attempting this will nearly guarantee some sort of injury before the end of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                        That person will be in a wheelchair so definitely God bless him!

Comment

If you really want a training plan, go to doctrine. Google FM 21-18, lookup chapter 5-11. There's a reason they publish this stuff, and there is a reason this FM hasn't been updated in about 22 years....it works.

Comment

Off topic perhaps, but I got bored overseas and on such a small FOB with a mission that I swore must have said Fobbit on it.... I wore my vest with plates in it and did some jog/speed walking and found it to be one of the best workouts i've had. The vest wasnt as bulky as a backpack and was heavy enough (with some strenous walking/jogging, not just a walk in the park) to improve me. Now I know in these MOSs that are just for males, just a vest isnt even close to some of your rucks you will be doing in training but if used properly and use the body properly, I felt is was more than enough. They must make simular items in the civilian world for working out with.

BTW, I was 5' 2'' and 93 pounds (115 now, gee thanks Army) and 32 years old in BCT. We did rucks. Not like the ones some OSUT do, but we did them and some were pretty rough. But I did not prep for them before getting there, and I was well prepared once we did them. It didnt stop that one time I hit a pothole (yeah they like starting them in the dark) and I fell over like a turtle!! lmao@that one, you shoudl have seen it! But the 6' 5'' male from Kentucky behind me didnt miss a beat, he picket me up by a strap on his way over me and stood me up on my feet and we carried on for the other miles.... lol
                            Last edited by WIBecky74; November 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

One other piece of advice I give everyone trying to get ready for BCT is to purchase a pair of tan jungle boots (google it, you'll find plenty, not going to provide a link). You can find them for a fair price (between $20-$40). These are the same you'll be issued in BCT and it will be great to start getting your feet used to them. By the way, your feet will never be the same after BCT, even worse after 19D OSUT training.

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X