X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

Anyone here get their ship date changed? Mine only moved a day but I was thinking, Holy Cats, that's almost a whole week of reception. Seems kind of long. Does reception go through the weekend or just on the week days?

Getting nervous. The summer will go fast.

Comment

Originally posted by carrieb23
      Anyone here get their ship date changed? Mine only moved a day but I was thinking, Holy Cats, that's almost a whole week of reception. Seems kind of long. Does reception go through the weekend or just on the week days?

Getting nervous. The summer will go fast.
      Reception personnel doesnt operate on weekends. They need time off ya know lol.

You will still be in reception, mostly cleaning and going through tiny drills though. Maybe some marching or formation drills.

Comment

Shipping tomorrow, I will update if I can

Comment

I just graduated last weekend from Alpha Co 2/39, here's a brief report.

The chow hall is not that bad, pretty repetative but not bad at all.

Each company will have different policies, I know that Bravo got to watch lots of movies on the weekends, and that Delta got to sleep in to 0700 on sundays, one or two of the companies got their cell phones on saturdays and /or sundays. Foxtrot had combatives practice every morning with their PT.

Alpha-Echo have the newest barracks, with big open bays, decent latrines and showers/laundry. Pretty new and clean. I was impressed. PT is done in the rubber pits or track although running can take place anywhere.

Training was fun, try not to miss anything. Avoid sick call...and do PT on your own!

Comment

Originally posted by beckstcw
            Hey guys, I graduated from Jackson 9 May 2009 so I thought I'd share some thoughts for the guys getting ready to go.

First off, you're gonna want to quit the first few days you get there, because you'll be in Reception. I can honestly say the only time I ever felt like going AWOL was the third day there. Reception will suck, but it ends eventually and you'll get over it. Barely.

When you actually get to training, you'll get smoked alot, but it isn't that bad once you realize that that's really all the have on you. The psychological impact of hearing "Half right, FACE" is alot worse than the actual smoking haha and besides, just like everything else, it ends eventually and you'll get over it.

You're actual experience will vary alot from company to company to platoon to platoon and even DS to DS. You're not going to have the same experiences because, for instance, C Co 1/13 is different from F Co 3/60 where I was. So any advice or insight I can give you is more of a general overview than an in-depth briefing.

You're gonna really learn how much you take for granted right now. I remember how excited we were when we got to White Phase and were allowed to buy the overpriced Gatorades from the vending machine in the company area haha it was like Christmas.

Keep up the positive attitude you have right now and you'll do fine. Just look at every day with the mindset of "Today I get to learn (insert whatever. First Aid, M16 marksmanship, Land Nav) while all my friends are at home eating Cheetos and porking fat chicks", as my DS used to say. I had the most fun of my (admittedly short) life at Basic, even when it sucked.

Basically, you're gonna love it. (Even the gas chamber, hooah!)

P.S. I forgot to mention: The chocolate peanut butter that comes in the Roast Beef and Vegetable MRE is like heroin in prison. People will give anything for it, along with Skittles and M&Ms. You'll see.
            thanks for the advice thats some of the best advice ive seen on here i leave for basic 20090825 2 weeks and im excited

Comment

I graduated on the 21st of August, 2009. What beckstcw said pretty much hit the nail on the hammer. Those of you shipping soon will have to get used to a lot of heat and even mor humidity.

Get used to sweating A LOT. Even when you're not doing anything you'll be sweating, and your eyebrows will eventually fail and sweat will get into your eyes. Remember: attitude is everything. With the right mindset, you can do ANYTHING.

Before you go, encourage as many family and friends to write you as possible. Phone calls will be scarce, and every letter will help you stay motivated. Get used to not having your cell phone/iPod, drinking gatorades/sodas, or eating anything you want to for a long time. Even if you find yourself in a laid back easy Company, it's always better to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Pay attention and remember at all times where you are. BCT IS NOT summer camp, there are rules, and major consequences for breaking the rules. DONT EVER fall asleep on Fireguard, NEVER go ANYWHERE without your weapon, do what you are told to do.

In BCT you'll have assigned squad leaders and a PG in charge of the Platoon. You're either going to love or hate these people. Whichever one it is, don't make their job harder than it already is, even if they SUCK at it. Help them as much as you can (mainly just doing what you're told and doing the right thing) and don't give them any grief.

In BRM, listen very carefully to what you are told so that you, your battle buddies, and your Company Cadre don't get shot or killed. Remember that you're firing real weapons, with real rounds that KILL. Be careful.

Always remember that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Getting smoked will suck, but eventually you'll get used to it. 50-60 other people are enduring it with you, tough it out and it will be far easier. Also, don't cheat yourself on PT. The PT is designed to help you pass the APFT with flying colors, but if you do crappy push-ups during morning PT and simply walk when you do Ability Group Runs, you're not going to pass the APFT and you're not going to graduate.

I was in C Co. 1/13, and I will always remember what the Batallion Sergeant Major told us one of the first weeks there in a briefing he had for us. "There are three things to remember to be successful here at BCT and in the Army: 1.) Do what you're told 2.) Stay motivated 3.) Strive for excellence in everything that you do.

ABOVE ALL: Push yourself to do the best you can do, charge head-on into the challenges that will make up almost everyday, help out your battle-buddies, trust in your leadership, and maintain a positive attitude. Remember that Basic doesn't last forever, and when you walk out onto that field to graduate, you'll feel on top of the world.

Good luck, be STRONG.

Comment

shiping oct 27th 2010

Comment

Shipping 20101122

Comment

Ship date 20110601, anyone else going around that time look for one of the youngest people there and you about found me

Comment

Has anyone who did basic at Jackson tried the new PT tests that are replacing the APFT (APRT and ACRT)? I ship 20110905 for BCT and want to know so I can start training for either the new one or the old one. Also, just out of curiosity- how long is the FTX at Jackson?

Comment

Ship May 21,2012

Comment

[QUOTE=FutureGuard;137074]Ship date 20110601, anyone else going around that time look for one of the youngest people there and you about found me [/QUOTE. I LEAVE 20110409 THEN ON TO LEE FOR AIT

Comment

Looks like there hasn't been a new post in here in quite some time...anybody else shipping to Jackson this September?

Comment

Ship out date August 19.. any heads-up advise? really need to know what to expect from Fort Jackson.. been hearing both good and bad.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fao Lafini View Post
                                Ship out date August 19.. any heads-up advise? really need to know what to expect from Fort Jackson.. been hearing both good and bad.. thanks
                                Depends on your training Battalion and Company. All experiences differ because all the cadre and DSs are different, though your program of instruction (POI) as far as the training you complete will remain the same. You'll likely complete your training in a different order than the other companies around you, and find that you may have more or less freedoms than they do as well. It's all unit dependent and that doesn't change across the Army. Welcome, hooah.

Comment

Working...
                                X