Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Leavin!

    Im headin out to San Antonio today then tomorrow morning headed to MEPS, then off to Ft. Jackson!!

    Comment


    • #62
      I'm heading to Ft. Jackson on June 9. Getting excited (and nervous) but nervous only about all the running. Bleh. Then its to Ft. Sam Houston!

      Hot, muggy, humidity and long sleeves all the time unless I'm running... here we go!

      Comment


      • #63
        Im leaving Monday, ready to roll!

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

          Greetings!

          I ship to Ft Jackson July 13. I will also be one of the "older" ones at 35 years by the time I ship.

          Comment


          • #65
            First 15 minutes

            I was stationed at Ft. Jackson for two years from 90-92. Two things that caught my attention in the first 15 minutes after leaving the airport-

            1. A billboard that said "GO COCKS" in letters so big they filled the board...Not being a sports fan in the least, I had no idea of the significance.

            2. My taxi went past a "Piggly Wiggly" and I thought "Holy crap, Piggly Wiggly is REAL!" ...Yes, I thought it was a made-up name you only heard of in sitcoms and Driving Miss Daisy...

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

              Question for the ladies. What are the showers like there? I'm just curious. Just want to be prepared incase it's a community-like setting or are there stalls?

              30-year-old mom of 4, shipping 20090728

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                I ship out to GED+ at Robinson on 20090718, when I'm done there then I ship out to Ft. Jackson 20090810.

                I can't wait, yet I'm very nervous. Anyway thanks for all the info on the forums, It has been very helpfull. When I get back I'll be sure to post my experience there so I too can contribute.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                  LEAVING ON MONDAY. So stoked!!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                    Originally posted by kameo1010
                    Question for the ladies. What are the showers like there? I'm just curious. Just want to be prepared incase it's a community-like setting or are there stalls?

                    30-year-old mom of 4, shipping 20090728
                    The unit I was in...open room, bunch of shower heads. Not sure if it varies from barracks to barracks.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                      Fort Jackson on July 21

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                        Originally posted by WIBecky74
                        The unit I was in...open room, bunch of shower heads. Not sure if it varies from barracks to barracks.
                        In 1/34 the barracks were community showers with the shower heads separated by walls. Still community stalls, but with a little bit of privacy. lol

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                          Foxtrot 2/39. Trailer trash. lol Cycle or two before us they brought in these huge trailers for the summer surge, kept them in for awhile after surge, was there Sept '07. There was talk they were moving them out. Infact we had moved everything out of them before graduation. No dividers. I've spent alot of time the past two years with no privacy i'm almost used to it. Four months for IET, 2.5 months for extended ATs, two months at Bliss, and now. We have individual showers but there still isnt alot of privacy. I go home and dont ever shut the door anymore.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                            Hey guys, I graduated from Jackson 9 May 2009 so I thought I'd share some thoughts for the guys getting ready to go.

                            First off, you're gonna want to quit the first few days you get there, because you'll be in Reception. I can honestly say the only time I ever felt like going AWOL was the third day there. Reception will suck, but it ends eventually and you'll get over it. Barely.

                            When you actually get to training, you'll get smoked alot, but it isn't that bad once you realize that that's really all the have on you. The psychological impact of hearing "Half right, FACE" is alot worse than the actual smoking haha and besides, just like everything else, it ends eventually and you'll get over it.

                            You're actual experience will vary alot from company to company to platoon to platoon and even DS to DS. You're not going to have the same experiences because, for instance, C Co 1/13 is different from F Co 3/60 where I was. So any advice or insight I can give you is more of a general overview than an in-depth briefing.

                            You're gonna really learn how much you take for granted right now. I remember how excited we were when we got to White Phase and were allowed to buy the overpriced Gatorades from the vending machine in the company area haha it was like Christmas.

                            Keep up the positive attitude you have right now and you'll do fine. Just look at every day with the mindset of "Today I get to learn (insert whatever. First Aid, M16 marksmanship, Land Nav) while all my friends are at home eating Cheetos and porking fat chicks", as my DS used to say. I had the most fun of my (admittedly short) life at Basic, even when it sucked.

                            Basically, you're gonna love it. (Even the gas chamber, hooah!)

                            P.S. I forgot to mention: The chocolate peanut butter that comes in the Roast Beef and Vegetable MRE is like heroin in prison. People will give anything for it, along with Skittles and M&Ms. You'll see.
                            Last edited by beckstcw; May 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                              Originally posted by beckstcw
                              Hey guys, I graduated from Jackson 9 May 2009 so I thought I'd share some thoughts for the guys getting ready to go.

                              First off, you're gonna want to quit the first few days you get there, because you'll be in Reception. I can honestly say the only time I ever felt like going AWOL was the third day there. Reception will suck, but it ends eventually and you'll get over it. Barely.

                              When you actually get to training, you'll get smoked alot, but it isn't that bad once you realize that that's really all the have on you. The psychological impact of hearing "Half right, FACE" is alot worse than the actual smoking haha and besides, just like everything else, it ends eventually and you'll get over it.

                              You're actual experience will vary alot from company to company to platoon to platoon and even DS to DS. You're not going to have the same experiences because, for instance, C Co 1/13 is different from F Co 3/60 where I was. So any advice or insight I can give you is more of a general overview than an in-depth briefing.

                              You're gonna really learn how much you take for granted right now. I remember how excited we were when we got to White Phase and were allowed to buy the overpriced Gatorades from the vending machine in the company area haha it was like Christmas.

                              Keep up the positive attitude you have right now and you'll do fine. Just look at every day with the mindset of "Today I get to learn (insert whatever. First Aid, M16 marksmanship, Land Nav) while all my friends are at home eating Cheetos and porking fat chicks", as my DS used to say. I had the most fun of my (admittedly short) life at Basic, even when it sucked.

                              Basically, you're gonna love it. (Even the gas chamber, hooah!)

                              P.S. I forgot to mention: The chocolate peanut butter that comes in the Roast Beef and Vegetable MRE is like heroin in prison. People will give anything for it, along with Skittles and M&Ms. You'll see.
                              haha....love that chocolate peanut butter!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: Fort Jackson, SC. (All things related)

                                Originally posted by beckstcw
                                Hey guys, I graduated from Jackson 9 May 2009 so I thought I'd share some thoughts for the guys getting ready to go.

                                First off, you're gonna want to quit the first few days you get there, because you'll be in Reception. I can honestly say the only time I ever felt like going AWOL was the third day there. Reception will suck, but it ends eventually and you'll get over it. Barely.

                                When you actually get to training, you'll get smoked alot, but it isn't that bad once you realize that that's really all the have on you. The psychological impact of hearing "Half right, FACE" is alot worse than the actual smoking haha and besides, just like everything else, it ends eventually and you'll get over it.

                                You're actual experience will vary alot from company to company to platoon to platoon and even DS to DS. You're not going to have the same experiences because, for instance, C Co 1/13 is different from F Co 3/60 where I was. So any advice or insight I can give you is more of a general overview than an in-depth briefing.

                                You're gonna really learn how much you take for granted right now. I remember how excited we were when we got to White Phase and were allowed to buy the overpriced Gatorades from the vending machine in the company area haha it was like Christmas.

                                Keep up the positive attitude you have right now and you'll do fine. Just look at every day with the mindset of "Today I get to learn (insert whatever. First Aid, M16 marksmanship, Land Nav) while all my friends are at home eating Cheetos and porking fat chicks", as my DS used to say. I had the most fun of my (admittedly short) life at Basic, even when it sucked.

                                Basically, you're gonna love it. (Even the gas chamber, hooah!)

                                P.S. I forgot to mention: The chocolate peanut butter that comes in the Roast Beef and Vegetable MRE is like heroin in prison. People will give anything for it, along with Skittles and M&Ms. You'll see.
                                Thanks for the insight. I am preparing to endure a lot of waiting in reception. It is a theme that Reception is probably the worst part of Basic.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X