X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing Physical Fitness Test during Basic Training

I received a call from my son saying he failed the Physical Fitness Test. He has two weeks left of Basic Training and he did not know if they would give him a second chance to pass the test before graduation. Do they get a second chance? If not, what happens? Do they have a graduation or will he be shipped straight to AIT once he passes. It would be nice to know if we need to cancel our travel plans.

Re: Failing Physical Fitness Test during Basic Training

He has to pass the PT test in order to graduate. Until he passes your travel plans are in limbo. Yes he will given other opportunities. His drill instructors will be giving him special attention until he passes. The graduation and AIT issue depends on how his orders are written and what school he is attending, his recruiter probably knows, or write your son an encouraging letter.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Im not sure what the current procedures are, but just wanted to state I graduated with two individuals who didn't pass APFT.

Comment

That may be accurate....For CHBOLC you have to pass.

Comment

Yes, he will get another opportunity to retest. Now the schedule is "up in the air" as to whether the DS will do it before Family Day/Graduation so that your son will be able to participate in the ceremonies.

I know at Ft Jackson for the Spring 2012 cycle, the retest was after Family Day so the soldiers that didn't pass were on cleaning detail of the stadium, parade grounds, etc. until they passed. After that it was off to AIT.

I doubt this helped very much since it didn't really answer your question. Check and see if your son's training battalion is on Facebook. If so, the cadre or CO will post updates and may even shed light if a retest will be conducted prior to Family Day & Graduation so you can make those travel plans.
          Last edited by bai78; July 14th, 2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram9498 View Post
            I received a call from my son saying he failed the Physical Fitness Test. He has two weeks left of Basic Training and he did not know if they would give him a second chance to pass the test before graduation. Do they get a second chance? If not, what happens? Do they have a graduation or will he be shipped straight to AIT once he passes. It would be nice to know if we need to cancel our travel plans.
            What event did he fail? Push-ups, sit-ups, or 2-mile run or more than 1 event?

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            He has to pass the PT test in order to graduate. Until he passes your travel plans are in limbo. Yes he will given other opportunities. His drill instructors will be giving him special attention until he passes. The graduation and AIT issue depends on how his orders are written and what school he is attending, his recruiter probably knows, or write your son an encouraging letter.
            Army standards are reverting back to immediate chapters upon non-compliance. I think (like my time in the Corps), either the trainee should be recycled or sent to Motivation Platoon. If still no success, then chaptered out of the service. We need individuals to be able to sustain fitness. Everyday at my post at Fort Carson, Soldiers are getting kicked out due to PT failures and overweight.

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
            Im not sure what the current procedures are, but just wanted to state I graduated with two individuals who didn't pass APFT.
            OP, understand that your son is failing when the minimum standards to pass are at 50%. When he returns to his unit, it will go up to 60% and in the Guard, he will have to rely a lot on self-discipline. If he does not start improving and sustaining, he will be kicked out of the service. Motivate and push him to excel.

Comment

He passed the Push ups and Situps. It was the 2mile run he failed. He thought he got a retest but wasn't sure when it would be and if I should cancel our travel plans. He was scheduled yo ship out to AIT right after graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                His drill instructors will be giving him special attention until he passes.
                Understatement of the year?

Comment

When I was at FT Jackson the re-test was the day before graduation. It was the last chance for those that didn't pass. Otherwise they were hold overs until they passed. But every unit is different. Your son should be able to provide more info as the graduation date gets closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    Understatement of the year?

2 Weeks is a long time......the body can change significant'y with the right attention given it.

Comment

I was at Jackson in 2010. You had to pass to graduate. You were given one final chance the day before Family Day. Failures missed family day off post and were confined to the company grounds. If you did not pass your APFT you recycled into the next company close to graduation.

Comment

We had 14 people in my company fail their final APFT. They retested the Monday before family day and 13 of the 14 passed. Our DS's pushed them hard and had some of us stronger runners pace the ones that needed help. The 1 who didn't pass took the PT test again 3 more times before graduation day and ended up finally passing it. The point is, at least in this situation, the DS's did not want a PT failure so they tested the failures as much as needed to get them to pass.

I wish him the best, but if he doesn't pass then they will probably send him to FTU (Fitness Training Unit) where he will take an APFT weekly until he passes. Once they finally pass then they will be recycled into the next graduating company. The soldier has to score at least 30points in each event to be eligible for FTU though. Don't take this for the gospel but this is how i remember it happening.

Comment

Working...
                        X