Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Foum-Introduction & Question

Hello all.

My 17 y/o son started BCT on Monday 24JUNE (1st PLT, E Co, 3-60th Infantry).

We are not a "military family," so pardon my ignorance. I'm extremely proud of my son for enlisting!

Does anyone know if there is a SET wake-up time in the barracks or does it vary? Same question about "lights-out" time.

If anyone has any candid feedback about the company he is in (DS/DI's), I'd appreciate hearing it. I DO have the Facebook page for 3rd Battalion, 60th Infantry Regiment "RIVER RAIDERS." That's a GREAT help for me and many families/loved ones.

Thanks for taking time to read this; I appreciate it.

Mike

Re: New to Foum-Introduction & Question

Wakeup time varies between 0500 and 0630 I would say. Lights out I think is between 2100 and 2200 usually. Recent graduates will probably weigh in on that.

Typical day >>> Get up, make bed, shave, put on PT uniform, report for first formation, go do PT, breakfast, change out to uniform/gear/draw weapons, formation for training, depart to training, lunch during training, continue training, return to barracks, return weapons/gear, dinner, evening training or classes, personal time, bed time.
    Last edited by SteveLord; June 28th, 2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Thank you for replying & for your service. It means a lot.

Mike K.

Comment

Mike, when I went through last year lights out was 2100 and wakeup was 0400. I remember once of the drill sergeants telling us they had to give us 7 hours of sleep, per TRADOC regulations. They broke that rule sometimes, but we generally got 7.

Comment

That "rule" is one of the top rumors that float through the joe line.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            That "rule" is one of the top rumors that float through the joe line.
            Our Drill Sergeants said that although there WAS a 'rule' about having to give us 7 hours of sleep, there was NO provision stating the 7 hours had to be consecutive or 'uninterrupted'.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              Our Drill Sergeants said that although there WAS a 'rule' about having to give us 7 hours of sleep, there was NO provision stating the 7 hours had to be consecutive or 'uninterrupted'.
              Our DS said the same thing and followed the same rules. Cadre in OCS followed the same logic as well.

During my BCT a few years ago, wake up was 0500, but you had to have the floors mopped and swept prior to first formation, so it was 0430 every day but Sunday. On Sundays if you were going to religious services then you could sleep in till 5:00 and if you weren't then you could sleep in till 5:30. The reason for getting up a half hour earlier was because those going to services had to get in line for Breakfast first so they could get going to services.

Comment

click the link for an example of wake-up (sorry SF

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=wtYznc-tnak

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  click the link for an example of wake-up (sorry SF
                  Ah Chief, don't force me to make an example out of you.....kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                    Ah Chief, don't force me to make an example out of you.....kidding!
                    lol You got it brother. That is why I made it a link instead of inserting the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                      lol You got it brother. That is why I made it a link instead of inserting the video.
                      Thank you. Its all good.

Comment

I'm not sure about the drawing weapons part. I slept with my rifle every night.

Comment

At the bay lights out is 1900, wake up can range from 0400 to 0600 depending on the tasks for the day.

In the field, lights out is usually earlier, depending on the weather etc, wake up is still the same.

Don't know a thing about the DS in your sons company, I was 1/113th Charlie Co.

Thank your son for his service and your family for the support.

Comment

TRADOC Reg 350-6.

3-7 Training schedules.

(1) In garrison, IET Soldiers will have the opportunity for 7 hours of continuous sleep per night, unless the Soldier is scheduled for duty (for example, access control guard, or CQ runner). During field training, the length of the training day and time for sleep will vary based on tactical and other training requirements, as established in the appropriate POI. Commanders will ensure that the tactical framework of field training allows sufficient time for rest.

As it's been said, this typically holds true. There were some late nights particularly later in the cycle as training ramped up, but overall nothing was ever too bad. I've gotten far less sleep in OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by dcsti22 View Post
                              At the bay lights out is 1900, wake up can range from 0400 to 0600 depending on the tasks for the day.
                              Lights out was 1900? Thats 7:00pm. If that is true then wow you guys got a lot of sleep. A short night on that schedule is 9hrs. Or maybe you meant to say 2100 (9:00pm).

Comment

Working...
                              X