Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic & Advanced Individual Training at Fort Jackson?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic & Advanced Individual Training at Fort Jackson?

Hi, so I'm doing BCT and AIT back to back at Fort Jackson in South Carolina. My shipping date is July 23rd and I won't be done with AIT until December 10th. I'm 18, African-American, and a pretty well-rounded guy. I start college at UGA (Biology major) in January and plan on participating in their ROTC program. I was just wondering if anyone can give me any tips or information about BCT or AIT at Fort Jackson. I'm slim/athletic, 5'5", but I'm like 2lbs under the weight requirement, so I need to gain some before I go back to MEPS for shipping. ANY information or stories- please share. Thanks!

Re: Basic & Advanced Individual Training at Fort Jackson?

I did BCT there from Aug 3rd to mid October a few years back. Weather wise it will start off pretty warm and humid, but by Mid Sept the days were actually getting very nice and the nights cool. By early Oct the mornings were down right cold (I'm from Arizona, so that is relative).

Reception was low key. For us there wasn't a Drill SGT attack as we arrived, but instead a DS came on board and explained what we were going to do and what we could expect. It was way different than I expected. First night they tend to keep you up pretty late (Midnight, 1:00am) getting your uniforms and gear and then up at 0400 for first formation. After that lights are out at 2100 every night. For the most part we were allowed to use our cell phones in the evening during reception, but if people are goofing off too much and being too loud then they will take that privelage away.

Actual BCT is company specific. Mon-Fri is training that starts with PT where your up at 0430 and PTing by 0500 until around 0630. Clean up and then breakfast. Normally Train till around 11:00 or 1200 when you stop for lunch and then back at it till dinner (around 1700 or 1800). Then you clean weapons or train till about 2000 when you get personal time and hygien time (Showers). During BCT you will do a LOT of running and a LOT of ruck marching. I think the last one is about 10 miles, but by that point you have built up to it and it's not as bad as it sounds.

Thats BCT in a nut shell. There is a lot more information on here about it, and you can get an idea of what to expect, but even someone who gradauted a few months ago could have a completely different experience than someone who is starting this week.

If you have specific questions let us know.

Comment

so we can bring phones with us?

Comment

You can bring them. Once you get to your actual BCT unit you will have to turn them in, and may or may not see them again until the end.

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
          You can bring them. Once you get to your actual BCT unit you will have to turn them in, and may or may not see them again until the end.
          It's varied depending on your basic training company, when I went through we got 3 phone calls. One the second we got there to tell our families we were okay, one during Thanksgiving, and one to arrange travel plans because out company was graduating before Christmas block leave and they needed to know who was going to POV home/to AIT.

The Company got next to us got one one minute phone call.

So it depends really.

Comment

I'd recommend bringing your cell phone, but if you can, leave the super fancy, high speed smart phone at home and opt for a cheap model. You can pick up a new pre-paid model at Wal-Mart for like 20 bucks... and then just pop in your own SIM card. I do this for my kid who loses phones almost monthly.

Unfortunately, not everyone is honest and we had some stuff stolen from the DS office. Don't ask me how but it happened.... and some people lost their iPhones.

Comment

Working...
            X