Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions on packing for BCT...

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
    Remember--We're here to help you. Please, PLEASE by all means leave any patches, flags, t-shirts, ANY kind of military para that you haven't earned at home. I've seen guys get completely ganged banged by Drill Sergeants at reception for having Special forces or Ranger flags or any number of "Ranger Joe's" para stuffed in their bags. Even when you're at AIT leave it at home. Yes I've seen guys that showed up to AIT with their patches on their ACU's and got clowned for it.

I would also suggest you buy a pair of running shoes BEFORE you ship downrange. 9 times out of 10 the mini PX carries garbage brands that wear out too soon or tear up. Iv'e literally worn everything out there. Mizuno running shoes are top notch.
    Eh I guess that depends on where you go, or maybe its changed since I joined (and I'm a pilot whose been in for 7 years, not one of those crusty old tech warrants whose been in since vietnam. Can't have change too much). I was wearing running shoes when I showed up, and they made me put them in my bag in storage and buy one of the four types they sold at the shoppette.

Comment

Remember--We're here to help you. Please, PLEASE by all means leave any patches, flags, t-shirts, ANY kind of military para that you haven't earned at home. I've seen guys get completely ganged banged by Drill Sergeants at reception for having Special forces or Ranger flags or any number of "Ranger Joe's" para stuffed in their bags. Even when you're at AIT leave it at home. Yes I've seen guys that showed up to AIT with their patches on their ACU's and got clowned for it.

I would also suggest you buy a pair of running shoes BEFORE you ship downrange. 9 times out of 10 the mini PX carries garbage brands that wear out too soon or tear up. Iv'e literally worn everything out there. Mizuno running shoes are top notch.
      I wouldn't do such a thing, I have the deepest respect for the fellow soldiers who came before me. And have paved the path and earned the patches, tags, badges and awards that I have my sights set on earning.

I am like a sponge when it comes to things I have no experience with, so any and all info, criticism and direction you all provide to me is most greatly appreciated!

If my avatar is offending or bothering anyone please let me know and I will change it ASAP...

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
        Eh I guess that depends on where you go, or maybe its changed since I joined (and I'm a pilot whose been in for 7 years, not one of those crusty old tech warrants whose been in since vietnam. Can't have change too much). I was wearing running shoes when I showed up, and they made me put them in my bag in storage and buy one of the four types they sold at the shoppette.
        You're right. Depends on where you go. It also depends on the Drill Sergeant or even just the individual. If a guy acts whiney the DS usually punks him into buying another pair. Confidence in my gear has always kept me from being punk'd by a DS. Somehow, I've also gotten out of having to buy a pair of those tighty Spidey shorts that they make you wear under your PT shorts. The hell--that's what the lining in the shorts is for. Geez--that's like slipping rain boots over running shoes before you take a PT test.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowOne View Post
          I wouldn't do such a thing, I have the deepest respect for the fellow soldiers who came before me. And have paved the path and earned the patches, tags, badges and awards that I have my sights set on earning.

I am like a sponge when it comes to things I have no experience with, so any and all info, criticism and direction you all provide to me is most greatly appreciated!

If my avatar is offending or bothering anyone please let me know and I will change it ASAP...
          I don't think you're offending anyone. Just don't wear your badges or tabs on your ACU's until after you've graduated BCT and AIT. Run into the wrong Drill Sergeant and he or she will eat your lunch. Or worse--a Master Sergeant or a First Sergeant. That would be a very bad day.

Reminds me of this guy that wore his unit patch during AIT thinking a battalion full of veterans would think he was some kind of war hero. Didn't think of how stupid he'd look walking around with a Camelbak on and neon yellow tape from BCT on the carrying strap. Yes, he was 'that guy' that had a special name even amongst the female soldiers.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; April 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I don't think you're offending anyone. Just don't wear your badges or tabs on your ACU's until after you've graduated BCT and AIT.
            That will be one hell of a wait lol......BCT to AIT to ABN.
            I wont even see my home state or unit till 2014, its hard for me to fathom the time period.
            Only because I am leaving my wife and 3 children behind for that time period, with maybe a few visits from them.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowOne View Post
              That will be one hell of a wait lol......BCT to AIT to ABN.
              I wont even see my home state or unit till 2014, its hard for me to fathom the time period.
              Only because I am leaving my wife and 3 children behind for that time period, with maybe a few visits from them.
              The time will fly especially if you just live day-to-day instead of reminding yourself of how many weeks you have left. And trust me--I know how you feel about leaving family behind. I've only been married for three years and so far I've missed every wedding anniversary, my wife's birthday and missed watching my grandkids grow up.

Comment

The time will fly especially if you just live day-to-day instead of reminding yourself of how many weeks you have left. And trust me--I know how you feel about leaving family behind. I've only been married for three years and so far I've missed every wedding anniversary, my wife's birthday and missed watching my grandkids grow up.
                I look at it in two ways:
                1. What I do and accomplish now, only betters the future I provide for my family!
                2. Every morning I am grateful to wake up and have a family to provide for!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                  Commission? At a PX?
                  when i went through reception we had employees in the shoe section at the px who were getting paid commission for a certain shoe from a generic company called UK Gear. Our squadron's physical therapist told us they were prone to causing stress fractures. The first time I ever heard of someone's shoe blowing out on them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                    when i went through reception we had employees in the shoe section at the px who were getting paid commission for a certain shoe from a generic company called UK Gear. Our squadron's physical therapist told us they were prone to causing stress fractures. The first time I ever heard of someone's shoe blowing out on them too.
                    I've seen the PX, clothing & sales, and the class VI "bring in" third party vendors who earn commission. It's weird that it's at reception/basic. I wouldn't want any company taking advantage of my new soldiers (or any soldiers to be honest)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                      I've seen the PX, clothing & sales, and the class VI "bring in" third party vendors who earn commission. It's weird that it's at reception/basic. I wouldn't want any company taking advantage of my new soldiers (or any soldiers to be honest)
                      We had a vendor at Benning come to our battalion from time to time to sell us gear. He had a LOT of junk--the only thing truly worth buying was the Oakley tactical gloves and Foxriver socks. Everything else was garbage. I bought the gloves and a tactical LED light to strap to my Kevlar. The light was of poor design--It was too easily flipped on when packed in my gear--burned itself out. I still have the gloves, though. Some guys seemed to like the Rocky boots but I saw a guy's Oakley 'Special Forces' boots tear at the sole within 3 days of purchase. Several other guys turned those same pair back in.

Comment

Wow. I would have killed just for some polypro at the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X