X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on packing for BCT...

Enlisted on 20130328 and report to MEPS on 20130506 then off on the journey to Ft. Jackson I go!

I looked over the packing lists for BCT on various websites. And also read through a few forums and articles pertaining to packing for BCT.

From what I gathered from the lists and forums so far, it seems that packing light is the way to go. And considering I am traveling from Salt Lake City, UT clear across the country to Columbia, SC the lighter the better for me!

With that said I came up with the following:
    I'm going to report to MEPS wearing a nice t-shirt, jeans, pair of sneakers and carrying only my wallet and a light backpack.

In my wallet I will have the following:
    * ID/Drivers license
    * $20 to $50 in cash
    * ATM/Debit card

In the backpack I plan on packing the following:
    * My packet/orders/paperwork etc...
    * A zip-lock bag with pens, paper, pre-stamped and pre-addressed envelopes
    * Bar of soap in a clear/transparent soap container
    * Razor with extra blades and shaving cream
    * Toothbrush in a clear/transparent toothbrush container with toothpaste
    * Non-scented deodorant
    * 1 pair of underwear and plain white calf-length socks
    * Cell phone and charger

If there is anything that I need to add, pack more of or remove from my intended packing list please fill me in I am all ears!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Questions on packing for BCT...

Originally posted by SlowOne View Post
    Enlisted on 20130328 and report to MEPS on 20130506 then off on the journey to Ft. Jackson I go!

I looked over the packing lists for BCT on various websites. And also read through a few forums and articles pertaining to packing for BCT.

From what I gathered from the lists and forums so far, it seems that packing light is the way to go. And considering I am traveling from Salt Lake City, UT clear across the country to Columbia, SC the lighter the better for me!

With that said I came up with the following:
    I'm going to report to MEPS wearing a nice t-shirt, jeans, pair of sneakers and carrying only my wallet and a light backpack.

In my wallet I will have the following:
    * ID/Drivers license
    * $20 to $50 in cash
    * ATM/Debit card

In the backpack I plan on packing the following:
    * My packet/orders/paperwork etc...
    * A zip-lock bag with pens, paper, pre-stamped and pre-addressed envelopes
    * Bar of soap in a clear/transparent soap container
    * Razor with extra blades and shaving cream
    * Toothbrush in a clear/transparent toothbrush container with toothpaste
    * Non-scented deodorant
    * 1 pair of underwear and plain white calf-length socks
    * Cell phone and charger

If there is anything that I need to add, pack more of or remove from my intended packing list please fill me in I am all ears!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
    You're good to go. I probably would carry a light sweater just in case. At this time of year the weather fluctuates. You never know when it will be cold or raining. You can always take off extra clothing. Also, just to be safe, just wear a plain t-shirt. No crazy, offensive junk on it. Some military personnel may make you take it off depending on where you go. Otherwise, you may be in civies for no more than a day or two before they give you ACU's at reception.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      You're good to go. I probably would carry a light sweater just in case. At this time of year the weather fluctuates. You never know when it will be cold or raining. You can always take off extra clothing. Also, just to be safe, just wear a plain t-shirt. No crazy, offensive junk on it. Some military personnel may make you take it off depending on where you go. Otherwise, you may be in civies for no more than a day or two before they give you ACU's at reception.
      Light sweater will be added although I doubt SC gets as cold or hot as UT does.......6 degrees this winter and 112 degrees last summer. I hear SC is hot but its a muggy, humid type of heat which I would take any day over this dry heat we get here in UT I'm originally from HI so I love humidity and warmth. Plain t-shirts is pretty much all I wear not a big fan of the whole decorate the piss out of your shirt style lol.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Your biggest problem in the summer time at Ft. Jackson will be the sand fleas. Have fun with those.

You're on point with your packing list. You'll be guided/directed on what else to buy at Reception BN which will cover all of what you need.

Word of advice though, make sure to get "on the box" to determine your foot type for your running shoes or you may get the wrong type for your feet. The DSs at Reception aren't always great about keeping up with that part since they are funnelling so many through that small Shoppette/PX at once.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
          Your biggest problem in the summer time at Ft. Jackson will be the sand fleas. Have fun with those.

You're on point with your packing list. You'll be guided/directed on what else to buy at Reception BN which will cover all of what you need.

Word of advice though, make sure to get "on the box" to determine your foot type for your running shoes or you may get the wrong type for your feet. The DSs at Reception aren't always great about keeping up with that part since they are funnelling so many through that small Shoppette/PX at once.
          Sand fleas eh? Never had to deal with them, but I am all for something new lol.

I will be sure to get on "the box" so they give me the right shoes....I have arched feet so hopefully I get a comfortable pair.

Thanks!

Comment

when at the PX/shoppette avoid the employees that pressure you to purchase a specific type of shoe. they are only looking to grab commission from that specific shoe company. get what is right for you

Comment

Commission? At a PX?

Comment

What is up with that SF patch?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                  Commission? At a PX?
                  Hahaha I'm saying the same thing?...

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                    What is up with that SF patch?
                    I'm assigned to a SF SPT CO

Comment

Light sweater will be added although I doubt SC gets as cold or hot as UT does.......6 degrees this winter and 112 degrees last summer. I hear SC is hot but its a muggy, humid type of heat which I would take any day over this dry heat we get here in UT I'm originally from HI so I love humidity and warmth. Plain t-shirts is pretty much all I wear not a big fan of the whole decorate the piss out of your shirt style lol.

Thanks for your input!
                      Allow me to clarify. It could be freezing cold at MEPS. There could be a freak cold snap. The AC could be on blast in the bus. It's been known to happen. I've gotten to the hotel on a relatively warm afternoon--gotten up the next morning to report to MEPS at 4am and it's 20 degrees with a 15 degree wind chill. I've been on the bus and lost feeling in my toes the AC was on blast so hard. I've stood in front of a reception hall at 2am and it was ice cold. Funny how every time I've had to stand outside and either wait to get on a bus or wait to be bum rushed into a reception hall its been ice friggin' cold and you almost always have to stand there for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I've seen guys shiver involuntarily because they thought they would be Joe Cool and ship with nothing but a t-shirt and sneakers with no socks. I'm not saying you have to wear the sweater just have one on your person in case.
                      Last edited by VICEROY06; April 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                        Allow me to clarify. It could be freezing cold at MEPS. There could be a freak cold snap. The AC could be on blast in the bus. It's been known to happen. I've gotten to the hotel on a relatively warm afternoon--gotten up the next morning to report to MEPS at 4am and it's 20 degrees with a 15 degree wind chill. I've been on the bus and lost feeling in my toes the AC was on blast so hard. I've shown up at reception a 2am and it was ice cold. Funny how every time I've had to stand outside and either wait to get on a bus or wait to be bum rushed into a reception hall its been ice friggin' cold and you almost always have to stand there for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. I've seen guys shiver involuntarily because they thought they would be Joe Cool and ship with nothing but a t-shirt and sneakers with no socks. I'm not saying you have to wear the sweater just have one on your person in case.
                        I hear ya, packing my light University of Utah football sweater.....just in case.....crosses fingers I wont have much use for it!
                        Thanks again!

Comment

I packed just my wallet, one change of clothes, and a toothbrush/toothpaste. They took everything from us about 5 minutes after arriving at reception and made us rebuy it all the next day. I'd say pack very very light.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
                            I packed just my wallet, one change of clothes, and a toothbrush/toothpaste. They took everything from us about 5 minutes after arriving at reception and made us rebuy it all the next day. I'd say pack very very light.
                            I have anywhere from 8 hours of travel time clear on up to 23 hours and at least 2 connecting flights dependent on what flight they put me on. So the lighter I can travel the better.
                            Thank you.

Comment

I'm assigned to a SF SPT CO
                              Remember--We're here to help you. Please, PLEASE by all means leave any patches, flags, t-shirts, ANY kind of military para that you haven't earned at home. I've seen guys get completely ganged banged by Drill Sergeants at reception for having Special forces or Ranger flags or any number of "Ranger Joe's" para stuffed in their bags. Even when you're at AIT leave it at home. Yes I've seen guys that showed up to AIT with their patches on their ACU's and got clowned for it.

I would also suggest you buy a pair of running shoes BEFORE you ship downrange. 9 times out of 10 the mini PX carries garbage brands that wear out too soon or tear up. Iv'e literally worn everything out there. Mizuno running shoes are top notch.
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; April 8th, 2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X