X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental Work at BCT

I'm leaving for BCT at Fort Jackson on 20121114. My dentist said I have a couple of cavities and need to get fillings. I can get them done by my dentist before I leave, but he's out of the Tricare network and it's going to cost me a decent chunk of change. My question is, if I don't get the fillings before I ship out, will they do the fillings for me at training? I know they do dental exams in reception, I just don't know if they'll do any actual dental work.

Re: Dental Work at BCT

In short, no. It primarily has to do with the tight training timeline.

Now if something in your mouth is causing you mega pain during BCT and you go to Sick Call, you may get referred and get surgery done if it's absolutely necessary and keeping you out of training. Saw this happen to one guy while we were there, i.e. like impacted tooth or something.

They will tell you, however, that you CAN get the dental work done while at AIT.

Comment

You cannot get a straight answer for this because it all depends. I did get some minor cavities done in BCT after I told them I have no pain, but like the above poster says, sometimes they dont. And like he/she said, you get another chance and more time in AIT to get it done. Not one answer for your question unfortunatly.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I actually found a good local dentist that's in the network to do the work. I really didn't want to leave it to the military to fix my teeth anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
          Thanks for the responses. I actually found a good local dentist that's in the network to do the work. I really didn't want to leave it to the military to fix my teeth anyway!
          Amen. NJ contracts dental work out for PHAs. They have these trailers filled with dental school rejects that basically go to town f-ing you up. It was so bad that after a PHA, our XO had to bring a few of our guys to hospitals to have their dental un-f'd.

Comment

They never made me have any dental work done in basic even though I have a chip in one of my lower front teeth. In AIT they forced me to have all four of my wisdom teeth removed even though I'm 33 and they've never given me a problem. They didn't do anything about the chipped tooth either. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
            X