Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing List

Hello All,

Heading out to Ft. Jackson for BCT on November the 14th. I have a few questions regarding what to take. I know the packing list question has been addressed many times on this forum, but I'm get conflicting answers from numerous sources. I want to pack as light as possible, but don't want to "miss" anything that I should be taking.

1. Should i take my own notebook, envelopes and stamps for writing letters, or can this be purchased once there?

2. Debating on whether or not to take my nice phone or to get a cheapo, prepaid burn phone.

3. Do i really need to go out and purchase calf length white socks and white briefs just for the few days that I'll be in reception?

4. I already have my own Brooks running shoes for my flat feet. Should I take these or will they make me buy a new pair regardless?

5. Is it against regulation to hang my weading band from my ID Tag chain?

6. The packing lists that I've seen say to take originals of all your personal documents. I know there are copies in my enlistment packet, so do I really need to take the originals? I'm not crazy about giving them my daughters birth certificate and my social security card.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Packing List

Originally posted by sv9cannon View Post
    Hello All,

Heading out to Ft. Jackson for BCT on November the 14th. I have a few questions regarding what to take. I know the packing list question has been addressed many times on this forum, but I'm get conflicting answers from numerous sources. I want to pack as light as possible, but don't want to "miss" anything that I should be taking.

1. Should i take my own notebook, envelopes and stamps for writing letters, or can this be purchased once there?

2. Debating on whether or not to take my nice phone or to get a cheapo, prepaid burn phone.

3. Do i really need to go out and purchase calf length white socks and white briefs just for the few days that I'll be in reception?

4. I already have my own Brooks running shoes for my flat feet. Should I take these or will they make me buy a new pair regardless?

6. The packing lists that I've seen say to take originals of all your personal documents. I know there are copies in my enlistment packet, so do I really need to take the originals? I'm not crazy about giving them my daughters birth certificate and my social security card.

1. Yes, I not only took all 3, I pre-addressed and stamped quite a few envelopes that I KNEW I would use (to my kids), it made popping a note in the mail a lot easier. AND since the stamps are already on your addressed envelopes, you don't have people begging you for stamps that did not plan ahead. You CAN usually buy stamps at the PX but your visits there are limited the first couple weeks so if you want to stay in touch, especially during reception when you have down time, I'd take some. Pre-stamped post cards are quick too.

2. I took a brand new, 2 day old iPhone and it was just fine; it was always locked up with the DS's so I had no worries and my network worked better than some cheap-o one.

3. I would take some calf length socks because even though you are only at reception "a couple days" (HA HA...that's funny), you will wear them all through BCT. Actually, WE had to wear our knee high green socks on the first couple days of reception, WITH our PT's just to show we were noobs....LOL

4. I have SUPER flat feet and although I have Brooks as well, the Army will look at your feet, on a flat surface and recommend Shoe A, B or C depending on your arches. Mine ended up being Brooks, even at BCT, they worked great. NOTE: You will have to BUY the shoes they recommend off of your Star Card (pay advance), so unless your shoes are Hot Pink and in good condition, you should be able to use your own.

5. I believe there is a regulation that the only thing that can hang off your dog tag chain is dog tags. There is ALSO a regulation stating that you are allowed to wear a wedding ring (I would go with a plain band, BCT if rough and dirty). Why would you need to hang it on a chain? Are you planning on losing a finger?

6. Our personal documents that were needed for reception were locked in our personal bags from day 1 and were not seen again until graduation day; the DS's control the locks. Unless you want to be stuck in reception MORE than 'a few days', I would take everything they tell you to take.

Comment

Hello All,

Hopefully you'll get some personal insight from other members, but as a place to start, be sure to check out the list on the National Guard website: Packing List.

What I generally advise new recruits is to take a look at this list and identify items that they can "live without" for a few weeks and can buy at the PX. If an item falls under this category, then don't bring it.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I'm going to just second exactly what Chris said, and further add that I wore my regular wedding ring (gold with tiny diamonds) the whole time at BCT (except for Combatives and other "sterile uniform" environments and never had an issue with it. Also I recall that we had to send documents back to our family for their use (such as getting an ID card) and that I was able to add the original documents I had brought to the packet. I think I kept some and shipped the rest back home to my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
          1. Yes, I not only took all 3, I pre-addressed and stamped quite a few envelopes that I KNEW I would use (to my kids), it made popping a note in the mail a lot easier. AND since the stamps are already on your addressed envelopes, you don't have people begging you for stamps that did not plan ahead. You CAN usually buy stamps at the PX but your visits there are limited the first couple weeks so if you want to stay in touch, especially during reception when you have down time, I'd take some. Pre-stamped post cards are quick too.

2. I took a brand new, 2 day old iPhone and it was just fine; it was always locked up with the DS's so I had no worries and my network worked better than some cheap-o one.

3. I would take some calf length socks because even though you are only at reception "a couple days" (HA HA...that's funny), you will wear them all through BCT. Actually, WE had to wear our knee high green socks on the first couple days of reception, WITH our PT's just to show we were noobs....LOL

4. I have SUPER flat feet and although I have Brooks as well, the Army will look at your feet, on a flat surface and recommend Shoe A, B or C depending on your arches. Mine ended up being Brooks, even at BCT, they worked great. NOTE: You will have to BUY the shoes they recommend off of your Star Card (pay advance), so unless your shoes are Hot Pink and in good condition, you should be able to use your own.

5. I believe there is a regulation that the only thing that can hang off your dog tag chain is dog tags. There is ALSO a regulation stating that you are allowed to wear a wedding ring (I would go with a plain band, BCT if rough and dirty). Why would you need to hang it on a chain? Are you planning on losing a finger?

6. Our personal documents that were needed for reception were locked in our personal bags from day 1 and were not seen again until graduation day; the DS's control the locks. Unless you want to be stuck in reception MORE than 'a few days', I would take everything they tell you to take.
          Thanks Chris, that info definitely helps. The reason I was asking about putting my ring on my ID tag chain is because I don't want to lose it or damage it. I may just leave the wedding band at home, IF my wife is okay with that.

Comment

Thanks Chris, that info definitely helps. The reason I was asking about putting my ring on my ID tag chain is because I don't want to lose it or damage it. I may just leave the wedding band at home, IF my wife is okay with that.
            It's really not necessary to leave it unless you want to. It really doesn't get in the way at all, but it is your choice and it is within regulations to wear it.

Comment

How does one go about getting certified copies? From the recruiter? Or done with a notary? Thanks.

Comment

I almost did the same thing. I opted for something different. Go to Amazon and search for "tungsten wedding bands for men." These things are cheap, nearly indestructible, don't scratch, and look pretty good too. I get a lot of questions about it. In fact, I wear my tungsten all the time now except special ocassions because my original band just scratches too easily.

It's worth checking out if you don't want to lose or damage your original.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcSlimDizzle View Post
                  How does one go about getting certified copies? From the recruiter? Or done with a notary? Thanks.
                  What kind of documents are you referring to?

Comment

Working...
                  X