X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable Religious Materials?

I'm having difficulty finding information on religious materials. I practice parts of several religions and I was wondering what was allowed in BCT. For instance, would I have to have my religion officially down as Daoist if I wanted to bring a copy of the Tao Te Ching, or is it less strict than that?
    Last edited by paradigmscout; May 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: Acceptable Religious Materials?

My experience was that the Drill Sergeants and Platoon Sergeants weren't interested in causing grief for people with certain religious practices. For instance, several Mormon members of my BCT and AIT wore religious garments that were somewhat conspicuous when wearing the PT uniform, but nobody said anything about it. If you want to bring a copy of a religious text, you don't need an excuse to do so. Bring your Torah, Koran, Book of Mormon, Bible, and have fun.

Comment

I also found the DS's to be very accomodating with regards to religious texts and services. No one ever said anything when inspecting my bag or locker when I had my Torah in there, nor will the books ever disrespected when lockers were tossed. Also, I was allowed to perform some required training with another platoon in my battery in order to allow me to attend Jewish High Holy Day services that were taking place during my training schedule while I was at BCT.

However, it was highly 'recommended' that I forgo fasting on Yom Kippur due safety concerns with the (Oklahoma summer) heat and aggressive training. I agreed that this was a wise choice in regards to safety and liability for all concerned.

Comment

I remember at reception when they had us empty our bags, a guy had a bottle of holy water. The first sergeant yelled out "Holy water?!?! Were you expecting to run into a vampire during your stay here?!?! I am scarier, stronger and will smoke you day or night!"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          I remember at reception when they had us empty our bags, a guy had a bottle of holy water. The first sergeant yelled out "Holy water?!?! Were you expecting to run into a vampire during your stay here?!?! I am scarier, stronger and will smoke you day or night!"
          I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Too funny.
            They lived up to it. They were the most feared people at Benning. More so than the drill sergeants, CSM and any officers.

Comment

Not quite sure how you can follow multiple religions, but that's not something I will get into.

But that said, the Army doesn't authorize wear of Mjolnir, Odin's Horn, or a symbol of the nine worlds. And will not permit anything outside of "Pagan" to be written on your Dog Tags. I was told this when I asked members of my covenant currently in service.

It's not Army Policy, it's Department of Defense Policy. (until summer 2011 they didn't even permit "Pagan" to be written on a dog tag, they had to wear "Atheist" instead, and up until this January, they wouldn't permit "Pagan" to be written on a fallen's tomb stone)

They also do not allow the Edda in BCT, MCRD, BMT, or RCT. Only the Coast Guard bootcamp allows it in a Recruits possession during boot camp. But that's because the Department of Homeland Security allows it, so Coast Guard regs permit it.

I don't know about Pagans of other faiths (Babylonian, Egyptian, Celtic, Hellenic, etc) But if you follow anything pertaining to Nordic Paganism, you may have issues if you choose to wear any Nordic Pagan symbols, or wish to possess any books of the Edda.

If you'd like info on how they handle it, pm me and I'll give you info to speak with multiple Nordic Pagans who are currently in service in the US Military, and they would be glad to help you work things out during your stay in BCT or OSUT.

Also, you can't participate in the bloodlust while in BCT/MCRD/RCT/BMT, etc. Nor can you participate, or perform rights until you're in the privacy of your own home, or Sacred Grove (among your Covenant). Because it makes other recruits feel uncomfortable.

If you wish, I can get you in contact with men of the First, Seventh, Eighth, or Fifteenth Covenants who would gladly help you during the course of your time in BCT/MCRD/RCT etc in dealing with it.\

OH and while on duty if you're in uniform, you're not permitted to wear any Nordic Pagan symbols at all unless they are Tattoos, and they cannot be visible while in physical fitness uniforms. That is military wide.
              Last edited by FutureEngineer; May 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
                Not quite sure how you can follow multiple religions, but that's not something I will get into.

But that said, the Army doesn't authorize wear of Mjolnir, Odin's Horn, or a symbol of the nine worlds. And will not permit anything outside of "Pagan" to be written on your Dog Tags. I was told this when I asked members of my covenant currently in service.

It's not Army Policy, it's Department of Defense Policy. (until summer 2011 they didn't even permit "Pagan" to be written on a dog tag, they had to wear "Atheist" instead, and up until this January, they wouldn't permit "Pagan" to be written on a fallen's tomb stone)

They also do not allow the Edda in BCT, MCRD, BMT, or RCT. Only the Coast Guard bootcamp allows it in a Recruits possession during boot camp. But that's because the Department of Homeland Security allows it, so Coast Guard regs permit it.

I don't know about Pagans of other faiths (Babylonian, Egyptian, Celtic, Hellenic, etc) But if you follow anything pertaining to Nordic Paganism, you may have issues if you choose to wear any Nordic Pagan symbols, or wish to possess any books of the Edda.

If you'd like info on how they handle it, pm me and I'll give you info to speak with multiple Nordic Pagans who are currently in service in the US Military, and they would be glad to help you work things out during your stay in BCT or OSUT.

Also, you can't participate in the bloodlust while in BCT/MCRD/RCT/BMT, etc. Nor can you participate, or perform rights until you're in the privacy of your own home, or Sacred Grove (among your Covenant). Because it makes other recruits feel uncomfortable.

If you wish, I can get you in contact with men of the First, Seventh, Eighth, or Fifteenth Covenants who would gladly help you during the course of your time in BCT/MCRD/RCT etc in dealing with it.\

OH and while on duty if you're in uniform, you're not permitted to wear any Nordic Pagan symbols at all unless they are Tattoos, and they cannot be visible while in physical fitness uniforms. That is military wide.
                I do not think its appropriate to hijack the OP's thread simply for touting this kind of rhetoric in an attempt to incite religious debate.

You're on the wrong forum for this kind of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                  I do not think its appropriate to hijack the OP's thread simply for touting this kind of rhetoric in an attempt to incite debate.
                  Not hijacking, explaining to the OP information incase it pertains to him.

And if he asks I'll provide him with the appropriate contact information.

Thank you for your time, Chris.

Also, my own Recruiter, also confirmed to me when I start doing RSP Drills, I will not be allowed to wear any Pagan symbols, nor perform any ceremonies, rights, or participate in any Nordic Pagan Activities while in Uniform, or in OSUT. He took the question all the way up to TRADOC to finally get me the answer.

His computer program for inputting recruit data, doesn't even have "Pagan" in it. I can't change it from Athiest until I get to Reception Battalion.

EDIT:

Even the program the Marine Corps uses for recruits to enter religious preference, doesn't have "Pagan" in it. They have to wait to get to MCRD before they can get it changed as well.
                  Last edited by FutureEngineer; May 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Not hijacking, explaining to the OP information incase it pertains to him.

And if he asks I'll provide him with the appropriate contact information.

Thank you for your time, Chris.

Also, my own Recruiter, also confirmed to me when I start doing RSP Drills, I will not be allowed to wear any Pagan symbols, nor perform any ceremonies, rights, or participate in any Nordic Pagan Activities while in Uniform, or in OSUT. He took the question all the way up to TRADOC to finally get me the answer.

His computer program for inputting recruit data, doesn't even have "Pagan" in it. I can't change it from Athiest until I get to Reception Battalion.
                    The OP references being a Daoist which is about complete opposite of Paganism as one can get.....lol

There's no way he was referring to anything you are obviously dying to start a discussion on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                      The OP references being a Daoist which is about complete opposite of Paganism as one can get.....lol

There's no way he was referring to anything you are obviously dying to start a discussion on.
                      he stated he follows parts of multiple religions, and was basing Daosism as an example.

I stated the above info incase some of the parts he follows falls under any Pagan faiths.

Comment

Originally posted by paradigmscout View Post
                        I'm having difficulty finding information on religious materials. I practice parts of several religions and I was wondering what was allowed in BCT. For instance, would I have to have my religion officially down as Daoist if I wanted to bring a copy of the Tao Te Ching, or is it less strict than that?
                        He does not elaborate the other religious components he follows. (Although it confuses me how one practices parts of several religions, but as stated, I will not get into it)

Comment

FutureEngineer "Not hijacking, explaining to the OP information incase it pertains to him.

And if he asks I'll provide him with the appropriate contact information."

Except that the OP specifically identified themselves as Taoist. (Chinese) not Pagan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            FutureEngineer "Not hijacking, explaining to the OP information incase it pertains to him.

And if he asks I'll provide him with the appropriate contact information."

Except that the OP specifically identified themselves as Taoist. (Chinese) not Pagan.
                            He identified himself as following parts of several religions.

Comment

He identified himself as following parts of several religions.
                              And why not assume he's a Nordic Pagan, with as many of them as there are these days, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X