X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning for basic

Hey guys I'm going to reception June 18th and i really need some conditioning advice. I'm a horrible runner but other than that I can finish everything else fine. I barely passed being taped at meps (5' 7" and 211 lbs), what advice can I get for being ready for this? Stinkin split ops made me have to go so early.

Re: Conditioning for basic

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Comment

When you say you're a horrible runner, is it the speed/time constraint or distance you struggle with? The Couch 2 5K program posted above is a great starting point for improving your run as it helps your body get use to running without injuring yourself in the process. It looks like you've only got a month left before heading off for training. You'll have plenty of opportunity to run while there, so if you're not quite at the standard just yet, don't worry. You certainly will be before you graduate. The important thing is that you try to get out and run whenever you can. You'll be surprised at how much progress you will make; both in your run and in your weight. Don't forget a healthy and balanced diet is key. Good luck with your training!

Comment

Originally posted by Rfreemanva View Post
        Hey guys I'm going to reception June 18th and i really need some conditioning advice. I'm a horrible runner but other than that I can finish everything else fine. I barely passed being taped at meps (5' 7" and 211 lbs), what advice can I get for being ready for this? Stinkin split ops made me have to go so early.
        if you're a fat boy you will come back not a fat boy. trust me.. I dropped about 30 lbs, and since being out I have regained some, but much more muscle and I look much more fit than I used to.

Comment

Get to running before you go for sure. I ****** and thought I could rely on BT to do it for me. Unfortunately, the only runs we did were company runs. My drill sergeants had us doing situps more often than anything else so I was struggling to pass the final PT run. Doh!

Comment

Yeah guys I just have horrible cardio. I feel it in my lungs dying before I feel anything in my legs. Maybe that's the way running is supposed to be but I've started a hill run program. 30 mins up and down a hill about 80 yards long. It hurts but seems to help.

Comment

When your body is in shape, running shouldn't be so painful! Hills are a great choice for improving cardio. Sprint workouts and jump roping are good options, too, and will give you some variety so you don't get bored. Just stay motivated and consistent!

Comment

Will do. I think I'm going to mix that couch to 5k in with my routine. I've been working on some weight lifting too, light weights lots of reps. Good stuff.

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread I'll ask this here: For years I've gone through ups and downs as far as working out and being lazy. I started my latest working out phase in february after being lazy since last november. I'm in pretty good shape, i run 4-5 times per week, ranging from 2.5-7 miles per run, usually averaging 8-8:30 minute miles. I passed the 1-1-1 PT test just fine Saturday, but I want to improve my pushups and situps (42 and 29, respectively). Currently I lift weight three times a week, one chest/tricep workout, one back/shoulder/bicep workout, and a leg workout. I'm starting to incorporate pushups and situps into my workout (my shoulders were my weak point during the pushup pt test). should i continue to do the free weights, or just concentrate on pushups, situps, running, and adding in some pullups?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasGuard View Post
                    Instead of starting a new thread I'll ask this here: For years I've gone through ups and downs as far as working out and being lazy. I started my latest working out phase in february after being lazy since last november. I'm in pretty good shape, i run 4-5 times per week, ranging from 2.5-7 miles per run, usually averaging 8-8:30 minute miles. I passed the 1-1-1 PT test just fine Saturday, but I want to improve my pushups and situps (42 and 29, respectively). Currently I lift weight three times a week, one chest/tricep workout, one back/shoulder/bicep workout, and a leg workout. I'm starting to incorporate pushups and situps into my workout (my shoulders were my weak point during the pushup pt test). should i continue to do the free weights, or just concentrate on pushups, situps, running, and adding in some pullups?
                    Easiest way is to just do more of them. Get comfortable with that 2 min time limit.

Comment

Working...
                    X