X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Cell phones

A little background: I'm currently awaiting my MEPS trip. I'll be joining the AZ ARNG as an O9S candidate. I'm 34, have a career, etc. When I schedule Basic I'll be looking for a start date most likely in the fall, and for openings at Ft. Jackson.

My questions is I have seen cell phones covered a number of times in different forums. Some people got them during BCT, etc. However, I've never seen covered what the process is for getting your cell phone takein away and stored at BCT, I'm guessing during reception and initial processing.

If you bring your cell phone "off of course" What happens to it during reception? Is it stored securely for you? Do you always receive it back at the end of BCT? I've read some reports that if you bring your cell phone, there is a room they make you leave any contraband, or any other items not allowed and you DO NOT get them back.

I would simply like to bring my cell phone, so that on my way home from BCT I can utilize it again for easily checking flight status, communicating with friends and family, etc. I don't care if I don't get to use it the entire time I'm there. I'm considering getting to where Basic will be maybe a day ahead of time and pre-paying for a safe deposit box at a bank nearby to store my cell phone. If I can avoid that and pick it up while being processsed out of BCT then that would be ideal obvioiusly.

Any information would be appreicated. Thank you.

Re: Question about Cell phones

I don't think the Army is in the habit of stealing people's cell phones (NOT giving them back).

I just graduated from Fort Sill in October and how is went for us was:

Reception: We were allowed to keep our cell phones, locked in our locker all day. In the evening, we were allowed to utilize it.

Once 'across the tracks' at BCT, during the initial shakedown (it was different for each platoon) but everyone was told to take their battery out of their phone and it was put in a ziploc bag with their name on a 3x5 card. I can't take out my battery from my iPhone so I just put the whole phone in the bag. These were locked into a file cabinet which was then locked in a closet. (SOme plattons locked them in a footlocker)

As BCT went on and cell phones were allowed (not before white phase for other platoons in our battery....we never got ours because we had a bunch of knuckleheads...) the file cabinet was brought out, you were told how long you had and you'd BETTER have it turned off and back in the box by the time said or else.

Some platoons got theirs back the Sunday before graduation for the whole week (NOT to be carried on you, just in your locker for free time use) but my platton didnt get ours back until the night before Family Day so we could confirm with family, etc.

I have NEVER heard of BCT keeping your cell phone 'forever'.

It really depends on where you go and what their procedures are...

Comment

It will be stored along with your civlilian clothes you take with you and you'll get it back when they decide you can use your cell phone.

Comment

Great. Thanks.

Comment

Some have reported being able to eventually use them for a little bit on Sundays I believe. It's going to vary by location and company.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
            I don't think the Army is in the habit of stealing people's cell phones (NOT giving them back).

I just graduated from Fort Sill in October and how is went for us was:

Reception: We were allowed to keep our cell phones, locked in our locker all day. In the evening, we were allowed to utilize it.

Once 'across the tracks' at BCT, during the initial shakedown (it was different for each platoon) but everyone was told to take their battery out of their phone and it was put in a ziploc bag with their name on a 3x5 card. I can't take out my battery from my iPhone so I just put the whole phone in the bag. These were locked into a file cabinet which was then locked in a closet. (SOme plattons locked them in a footlocker)

As BCT went on and cell phones were allowed (not before white phase for other platoons in our battery....we never got ours because we had a bunch of knuckleheads...) the file cabinet was brought out, you were told how long you had and you'd BETTER have it turned off and back in the box by the time said or else.

Some platoons got theirs back the Sunday before graduation for the whole week (NOT to be carried on you, just in your locker for free time use) but my platton didnt get ours back until the night before Family Day so we could confirm with family, etc.

I have NEVER heard of BCT keeping your cell phone 'forever'.

It really depends on where you go and what their procedures are...

One more question. For the reason that you MIGHT get to use your cell phone, should you also bring a wall charger?

Comment

Yes! When I went to BCT (Summer 2011, Ft. Jackson) our cell phone charger was locked up with our cell phone and battery, so they were all-together. It was actually EXPECTED that we had a cell phone (I brought a cheap-o spare not my good smartphone) to use to make our required calls, and to make any other calls that we earned, using the Pay Phones was mostly discouraged during the 15 minute window we had for phone use (twice in the ten weeks).

Comment

Originally posted by CAllen View Post
                One more question. For the reason that you MIGHT get to use your cell phone, should you also bring a wall charger?
                Yes, take it. We were allowed to hold on to our chargeers, but had to turn in our phones or batterys. You knew when a platoon was being allowed phone time because there was a stampede to lockers to get their chargers...LOL

Comment

I wouldn't bring a fancy one, just in case... We had some guy get his iPhone stolen out of the DS office by a hold-over loser. Ultiamtely got it back, but it was damaged b/c the a*hole dunked it in the sink just to be a *****.

Moral of story, go buy a 19.99 job from Wal-mart, toss in your SIM card and go nuts.

Comment

Thanks for all of the information! It's very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X