Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Exodus/Graduation question(s)

Going to Benning 20130916, 11B.

I was wondering, I've done some research on Christmas exodus and how it works. I've also done some searching on here about Graduation questions. One question I had that sort of related to both topics was... How do you let your family know whats going on? I'm sure dates and times and address and etc... will be given in due time but without a cell phone, computer, outside connection how can we buy a plane ticket and also how can I let me wife and family know when I'll be home for Christmas, when they can come to see me graduate, when I'll be home after AIT, etc?

Re: Christmas Exodus/Graduation question(s)

Your family will get a nice big packet in the mail with a ltter from the Commander (typically BN), calendars, and the like telling them what is going on. You may or may not get the opportunity to tell them yourself based on what your Company and cadre allow you to do phone call wise. Don't worry about them knowing what to do.

They also set aside several days before Exodus, take all not POV travelling soldiers over to the ITR Travel Office, and get them setup to travel home (plane, bus, etc.). It is during this time they'll also allow you to coordinate with your family in the event they want buy your tickets, etc. If you find out your dates during your cycle though, you can always write them a letter and tell them the dates also.

Don't fret though, they're going to know more about graduation and Family Day than you do once they get that packet in the mail (if they actually take the time to read it). It gets sent out pretty early during your BCT cycle, too.

Comment

Once you start Basic they will provide all of that information early enough for you to begin adding it to your letters that you write home. That very well could be the way that you do the majority of your coordination with your family. Towards the end of Basic (within a few days of graduation) most units let you use your cell phone or a pay phone to call your family and coordinate any last minute details on graduation and family day.

I don't know for sure on AIT, but I suspect that if you have earned your cell phone by the time Christmas comes around then it is something similar, where you do most of your coordination through letters and then a quick call to confirm details prior to exodus, but someone with more specific knowledge should chime in soon.

Comment

Great, I appreciate the information. I figured most info would be sent via snail mail and conversation by phone/ in person during the Christmas break.

Comment

I was at Benning for 11B OSUT last year during Christmas. All of the above is correct. We were given a few phone calls to coordinate with the family for our arrival home.

Beware: Your return to Benning is HELL once you get to the Atlanta airport. Charge your phone SUBSTANTIALLY before you get there, as you'll be waiting for hours upon hours upon hours for a bus ride back to base.

Comment

Ok thanks man, I appreciate it.
            Originally posted by StandFast85 View Post
            I was at Benning for 11B OSUT last year during Christmas. All of the above is correct. We were given a few phone calls to coordinate with the family for our arrival home.

Beware: Your return to Benning is HELL once you get to the Atlanta airport. Charge your phone SUBSTANTIALLY before you get there, as you'll be waiting for hours upon hours upon hours for a bus ride back to base.

Comment

Working...
            X