Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any tips

    So how is fort benning
    every time i mention that to a soldier, they just look down and say good luck man
    so what should i expect

  • #2
    Re: Any tips

    Originally posted by falco View Post
    So how is fort benning
    every time i mention that to a soldier, they just look down and say good luck man
    so what should i expect
    I went there at 39. Dozens and dozens of heat casualties. I hated doing group runs because there are hills EVERYWHERE, hence the name SAND HILL. The battalions are full of childish, unjustifiably arrogant, belligerant, Theiving, annoying punks that think they can fight anyone on two legs. You can sweep the barracks 50 times and STILL find sand. Depending on the Drill Sergeant, they'll make you do area beautification until 22:00 in total black darkness. You could be pulling up poison ivy or picking up a snake for all you know.

    Every location you have to march to is at least 2 miles away if not further. You'll get smoked every 30 minutes--not because of something you did but because some idiot said something stupid to a Drill Sergeant or stole some food out of the DFAC or wouldn't stop talking after the Drill Sergeants told them 100 times to shut up.

    During June and July every day averaged tripple digit heat. Many days it got so hot we were forced to stop training especially when we were at the range. I lost more weight there than at any point in my life--50 pounds. Sick call averages 150 to 300 guys a day. Everything from broken extremities to dislocated shoulders to sickness, etc. When I went in for pain pills the nurse looked at me like I was crazy when I told her how old I was. Enjoy your stay!!!!
    Last edited by VICEROY06; April 23rd, 2013, 09:18 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Any tips

      Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      I went there at 39. Dozens and dozens of heat casualties. I hated doing group runs because there are hills EVERYWHERE, hence the name SAND HILL. The battalions are full of childish, unjustifiably arrogant, belligerant, Theiving, annoying punks that think they can fight anyone on two legs. You can sweep the barracks 50 times and STILL find sand. Depending on the Drill Sergeant, they'll make you do area beautification until 22:00 in total black darkness. You could be pulling up poison ivy or picking up a snake for all you know.

      Every location you have to march to is at least 2 miles away if not further. You'll get smoked every 30 minutes--not because of something you did but because some idiot said something stupid to a Drill Sergeant or stole some food out of the DFAC or wouldn't stop talking after the Drill Sergeants told them 100 times to shut up.

      During June and July every day averaged tripple digit heat. Many days it got so hot we were forced to stop training especially when we were at the range. I lost more weight there than at any point in my life--50 pounds. Sick call averages 150 to 300 guys a day. Everything from broken extremities to dislocated shoulders to sickness, etc. When I went in for pain pills the nurse looked at me like I was crazy when I told her how old I was. Enjoy your stay!!!!
      O.O

      Hopefully its not too hot in August when I go.

      Thanks for the tips.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Any tips

        It is called the FT Benning School for Boys for a reason. It's the home of the Infantry and, coming from a guy who's been to Benning and Jackson, it is hard. And it is hard for a reason. If you are going for 11B, just embrace it and carry on. If you are going for any other MOS... Ha ha. You got swindled. At least you'll come out of it as a good soldier.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Any tips

          Originally posted by YANG View Post
          O.O

          Hopefully its not too hot in August when I go.

          Thanks for the tips.
          It will still be in the 90's in August. For the love of God--drink at LEAST 3 camelbaks a day. Hopefully you'll have a cool battle buddy. My battle was a total dud--what they would call a 4F back in the 40's. Anyways, get yourself a good battle buddy that has some common sense. There will be down time when you're on the range. You'll have to develop a sense of when the some of those kids get bored and want to do something stupid that will get the whole company smoked. When you see them do something stupid get as far away from them as you can. Watch them get the snot smoked out of them while you sit under a tree and sip away at your camelbak.

          Know where your weapon is at ALL times. Even when you have to stack your weapon in the kill zone at lights out memorize where you left it. That way if there's a fire drill or you have to run out of the barracks for anything you can quickly snatch up your weapon. If you run out without it you'll be doing flutter kicks until your legs detach from your torso and walk away on their own. DO NOT WEAR SOCKS IN YOUR BUNK AFTER LIGHTS OUT. I don't care what time of night it is--if a DS finds out if even ONE guy is wearing socks in their bunk the WHOLE platoon will be smoked. Socks keep your feet from drying out, which causes blisters the size of hot dogs after a ruck march or even after a normal day of marching if you're a tender foot. During religious services sign up for Buddist. All you have to do is sit there quietly in the rock garden. Everyone else will be shoulder to shoulder in the main sanctuary listening to some guy scream the sermon for an hour.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; April 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Any tips

            at least im not a 11b kind of wished i had relaxin jackson
            open the gates of hell
            Last edited by falco; May 5th, 2013, 02:08 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Any tips

              Really........BEAT YOUR FACE! If you really want to be Infantry SUCK IT UP!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Any tips

                Originally posted by falco View Post
                at least im not a 11b kind of wished i had relaxin jackson
                open the gates of hell
                It doesn't matter where you go. Infantry School is Infantry School. Every battalion is different, every company is different, every platoon is different, every Cadre is different. You could be in a company everything is hectic, then look across the breezeway at the neighboring company and they're getting destroyed on a daily basis. Then you may see another company in the same battalion and they're having pizza parties nearly every weekend.

                Comment

                Working...
                X