Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Leaving for Benning in a few weeks and I am starting to get nervous. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving for Benning in a few weeks and I am starting to get nervous.

When I enlisted, I didn't really feel it. But as the day gets closer and closer I can feel myself getting ever more nervous. Can anyone tell me what happens during the first week? Like the type of medical and physical tests I will be going through? When will I be able to write letters home to my family, friends and my recruiter? Can I take pens/pencils and notebook paper?

Re: Leaving for Benning in a few weeks and I am starting to get nervous.

You'll be okay. There are thousands of threads about this exact topic on the board here. Just look around.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Watch View Post
      When I enlisted, I didn't really feel it. But as the day gets closer and closer I can feel myself getting ever more nervous. Can anyone tell me what happens during the first week? Like the type of medical and physical tests I will be going through? When will I be able to write letters home to my family, friends and my recruiter? Can I take pens/pencils and notebook paper?
      For your first week, you can expect to be at reception where you will go through a general physical exam, immunizations, and in processing. After that, you'll be assigned to your battalion/platoon and BCT will commence! There's some basic information on the National Guard website about what you can expect. I would recommend checking it out!

Look around a bit more and you'll find a packing list. To answer your question, you can bring paper and writing items. Many on here would also recommend bringing pre-stamped envelopes and postcards.

It's pretty normal to be nervous! It will keep you on your toes! Just remember it's not forever, it's suppose to be challenging, and that the Drill Sergeants aren't there to "fail" you but to push you to succeed beyond what you think you can.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        For your first week, you can expect to be at reception where you will go through a general physical exam, immunizations, and in processing. After that, you'll be assigned to your battalion/platoon and BCT will commence! There's some basic information on the National Guard website about what you can expect. I would recommend checking it out!

Look around a bit more and you'll find a packing list. To answer your question, you can bring paper and writing items. Many on here would also recommend bringing pre-stamped envelopes and postcards.

It's pretty normal to be nervous! It will keep you on your toes! Just remember it's not forever, it's suppose to be challenging, and that the Drill Sergeants aren't there to "fail" you but to push you to succeed beyond what you think you can.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
        What about the physical exam? At MEPS I passed it, but I have a little trouble with the duck walk. Will I have to do it again during the exam?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Watch View Post
          What about the physical exam? At MEPS I passed it, but I have a little trouble with the duck walk. Will I have to do it again during the exam?
          No, you will not do the 'duck walk' again at basic training for your physical exam.

Comment

After reading up a bit, I find that the most comforting thing is that Red Phase is also known as Patriot Phase. I don't know why.

Comment

Whats ur ship date

Comment

Just relax and enjoy your time before you ship. 30th AG will be the worst part of your basic training experience (followed close behind by recovery week after FTX. There is no physical activity at 30th, so careful with your diet. Also don't worry about taking a bunch of stuff since they make you buy pretty much everything anyways. I can also tell you that time flies once you get out of 30th. The advice about pre-addressed envelopes or at least mailing labels that are filled out is a great idea. You will be able to write home even at 30th but you won't get mail until you get to your company.

Good luck and have fun! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions (I just graduated last week and I'm at Airborne now).

Comment

Originally posted by TB1077 View Post
                  Just relax and enjoy your time before you ship. 30th AG will be the worst part of your basic training experience (followed close behind by recovery week after FTX. There is no physical activity at 30th, so careful with your diet. Also don't worry about taking a bunch of stuff since they make you buy pretty much everything anyways. I can also tell you that time flies once you get out of 30th. The advice about pre-addressed envelopes or at least mailing labels that are filled out is a great idea. You will be able to write home even at 30th but you won't get mail until you get to your company.

Good luck and have fun! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions (I just graduated last week and I'm at Airborne now).
                  I not only pre-addressed envelopes because it was quicker, I pre-stamped them too. If you have books of loose stamps EVERYONE wants to bum one and before you know it, you're OUT and you can't buy more until you're allowed a trip to the shoppette/PX.

Comment

In BCT we were not allowed to have mechanical pencils (true story) only old fashioned wood and lead pencils. People were smuggling drugs in the mechanical pencils. So the part that is tedious about reception is that there is a lot of time to sit around and wait. While your sitting around lots of people think about home, what their family/friends are doing and what they would be doing an getting homesick. What I did to combat this was to keep my mind active. I carried in my cargo pants a notepad. I started writting down to my family everything that was happening. What I was waiting for, was the DS were doing, people I had already met, etc. This kept my mind active. Then when I got to my traninig company I had a good sized letter the first day we were allowed to send mail.

There is a lot of waiting during reception. Your portion of signing one document may only take a couple of minutes, but the other 120 soldiers may take longer. You will wait for a haircut, to get your ID card (or if you have it then your waiting for all of the AD soldiers to get theirs), then you will wait for dental, vision, hearing, shots, etc. If you have nothing to do, then it can be tedious at best. Writing letters kept me busy and made reception go by quickly.

Another option (or maybe requirement) is that your reading your battle book. If your reading that learn about the drill and ceremony portion, various weapon types, capabilites squad movements (if that is all still in there).

I hope this info gives you a start. I was really nervous prior to leaving as well. Once your there and moving, you get too busy to be nervous or miss home.

Comment

Working...
                    X