X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being a squad leader in basic?

For a 19D at Benning, what responsibilities come with being a squad leader in BCT? How many guys typically comprise a squad? What do they do as squads late in red phase and during the rest of BCT?
    Last edited by rtparnell; August 5th, 2012, 04:27 AM.

Re: being a squad leader in basic?

Not a Cav Scout, but I can give you some insight when I was as a SL during BCT as a 12B.

You'll apply the very basics of TLPs (Troop Leading Procedures), so say your PSG hands down an order to your PG or Platoon Guide. Your PG will then turn it around and give the info to his SLs. As an SL you will need to then inform your TLs or team leaders whom will then hand it down to their joes.

When the platoon screwed up as a whole, the leadership would get smoked (The PG and his SLs). Unfortunately the PG and SL can't turn around and smoke their guys for their screw ups. This is where it's important to learn how to be both a good leader and a good follower. Your spotlight rangers or the guys that like to shine when the Drills are looking and slack off when they arent, usually show their true faces during this time.

When in garrisson, or not in the field, the job is pretty easy. Make sure your guys are uniform and on-time to formation. When you're out in the field, it gets a little bit more fun. You'll be leading your team on missions during your FTX. I was a SL during AIT on our last FTX and got to do quite a bit of leading under my PL who was a EN officer in E-BOLC.

In my squad, we had 11 dudes. The platoon had about 50 in total I think.

Comment

in BCT, as a squad leader, you really don't do a whole lot, besides get hated by your squad. All you really do is make sure that any details given to your squad get done, and that you do your best to keep your guys from killing each other. In reality, you will prob only be a SL for 2 or 3 weeks, and the only ones that have any real authority and the power to talk directly to a DS is going to be your platoon guide, which is also a very fast rotating position. Something small like an untucked shirt can get your PG fired, so you can imagine how quickly they go through the rotation with 60 guys who are biting at each others throats by week 5. In the field, the SL doesnt do much, at least as far as his designated position goes. Many times, the DS will rotate out the SL on different STX lanes, and platoon lanes so that everyone will get an equal chance to learn how to hold multiple roles. Basically, don't worry about trying to get into a leadership slot when you get there, just focus on doing your job as well as you can, and if they want you to step up, you will step up, whether you want to or not

Comment

I was a squad leader in basic training back in the late 90s. The main thing I remember was making sure I always had a zip lock baggie on me that contained things like sunscreen. It was also my responsibility to make sure my squad was squared away in formation.

BTW, not sure if they still do this but it was possible to be Soldier Leader of the Cycle. Typically, it would be the platoon leader that would be nominated for this but I ended up being the person from my platoon that went in front of a board of drill sergeants from our company. The other three people were all platoon leaders and I ended up being the one to receive the award.

Comment

My experience (11C/Benning 2002-2003) - PG was worse position to be volunteered for. SLs were almost as bad. Both didn't amount to anything.

Comment

Yeah, like others are saying. You won't have any "real" power, yet you'll get the snot smoked out of you when your squad messes up. Remember that, even if you aren't selected for squad leader, you need to make sure you are doing everything you can to support the person in that position and help them not get smoked! You'll want the same from the squad if you're squad leader.

Comment

Working...
            X