Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning Vet headed to basic training AGAIN!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning Vet headed to basic training AGAIN!!!

so I reclassed to 11B and its been 7 years since I've been out. Im almost 100% I have to do basic over again.

My question is:
    can i wear my combat patch and airborne wings in basic and AIT?
    and If I can Should I?

Im very proud of being 82nd airborne I come from a long family history of 82nd ABN and would hate wearing the uniform if I cant show what I've worked hard for.

Re: Returning Vet headed to basic training AGAIN!!!

Hopefully someone who has been to BCT more recently can pipe in, but it's my understanding that you won't wear any patches or rank until you graduate.

A more important question is, why are you assuming you have to do BCT over again? Were you in the Army? Marine Corps? If so, you're good to go.

Here's some general information you might find helpful: http://bit.ly/MlI8bq

Comment

I thought at worst, it was 10 years. I *think* you're fine.

Comment

The regulation isn't too specific on BCT, but it does state that if an PS applicant has been out over 10 years, they will need to attend AIT over again.

Comment

yea I think I'm G2G on the basic it was a false alarm. and my AIT could be in CA for 2 weeks instead of sending me to Benning

Comment

The 2 week 11B course is a cakewalk. It was the easiest way to get 11B MOSQed. Back when MOS changes were more common.

Comment

S E C R E T AR Y O F T H E ARM Y
              W A S H I N G T O N
              MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
              SUBJECT: Army Directive 2011-02 (Initial Entry Training for Prior Service Personnel)

1. This directive changes and synchronizes Army policy for initial entry training of prior
              service personnel entering the Active Army, Army National Guard or U.S. Army
              Reserve, and it ensures compliance with Title 10, United States Code, section 671.
              This directive applies to Army Staff and organizational elements involved in the
              recruitment, accessions and training of prior service personnel.

2. Effective 1 January 2011, the Army will no longer conduct the Warrior Transition
              Course. The Basic Combat Training Course or One Station Unit Training will be the
              only courses to provide initial entry training to select prior service personnel.

3. Guidance and policy in this directive supersedes references to initial entry training for
              prior service personnel in AR 350-1 (Army Training and Leader Development) and
              AR 601-210 (Active and Reserve Components Enlistment Program).

4. Details about the new policy are at enclosure 1. References and definitions are at
              enclosure 2. The matrix for initial entry training attendance is at enclosure 3.

5. This policy is effective immediately. The Offices of the Army Deputy Chief of
              Staff, G-1 and Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/5/7 are the proponents for this policy.
              The policy in this directive will be incorporated into applicable Department of the Army
              enlistment and training regulations and policies as soon as practicable.

6. This Army directive is rescinded upon publication of revisions to AR 350-1 and
              AR 601-210.

Enclosure 1
              POLICY FOR INITIAL ENTRY TRAINING FOR PRIOR SERVICE SOLDIERS
              The following guidance applies to prior service personnel attending initial entry training:
              Categories of Prior Service Personnel

1. Prior service personnel entering the Active Army are not required to attend basic combat training (BCT) if they:
              Completed Army or U.S. Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for U.S. Air Force or U.S. Navy Special Operations Forces, or U.S. Air Force Security Police, and Have less than a 3-year break in service.
              If BCT is required, prior service personnel will attend military occupational specialty (MOS) training before their first unit of assignment.

2. Prior service personnel entering the Active Army will attend BCT if they:
              Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police, and Have more than a 3-year break in service.
              If BCT is required, they will attend MOS training before joining their first unit of assignment.

3. Prior service personnel from the Air Force, Navy and U.S. Coast Guard entering the Active Army will attend BCT regardless of the length of their break in service if they:
              Have not completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Did not complete training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police.

4. Prior service personnel entering the Reserve Components (RC) (Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve) will go straight to their RC unit regardless of the length of their break in service if they:

Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police.

5. Prior service personnel entering the RC from the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard will attend BCT regardless of the length of their break in service if they:
              Have not completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Did not complete training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police.

The Army may reestablish the Warrior Transition Course if needed to meet demand.
              Last edited by crimeguy; July 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I'm confused. sorry. so I will have to go to basic? I have a 7 year break between? when I went to meps they were 100% sure I would have to attend BCT? and it sounds to me like I would get MOS qued before going to BCT. sorry, the way some things are worded makes it confusing.
                Last edited by Ybarra; July 17th, 2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ybarra View Post
                  I'm confused. sorry. so I will have to go to basic? I have a 7 year break between? when I went to meps they were 100% sure I would have to attend BCT? and it sounds to me like I would get MOS qued before going to BCT. sorry, the way some things are worded makes it confusing.
                  What is confusing about this sentence?

Prior service personnel entering the Reserve Components (RC) (Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve) will go straight to their RC unit regardless of the length of their break in service if they completed Army or Marine Corps basic training.

Comment

never mind I didn't read that right the first time I thought "Prior service personnel entering the Active Army will attend BCT if they:
                    Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police, and Have more than a 3-year break in service." was pertaining to reserve components when i first read it

Comment

Originally posted by Ybarra View Post
                      never mind I didn't read that right the first time I thought "Prior service personnel entering the Active Army will attend BCT if they:
                      Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police, and Have more than a 3-year break in service." was pertaining to reserve components when i first read it
                      Don't worry, it was initially confusing to a lot of us. But that's the army way.

Comment

ok found my post but it differs from this information

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...onnel+entering

The four-week Warrior Transition Course, established six years ago to support the Blue-to-Green program for transitioning Air Force and sea services personnel into the Army, was suspended Jan. 1.
                        Here is a summary of policy changes to be included in revisions of Army Regulations 350-1 (Army Training and Leader Development) and 601-210 (Active and Reserve Components Enlistment Program):
                        • Prior-service members entering the active Army with more than a three-year break in service must attend basic training and military occupational specialty training before moving to their first unit of assignment.
                        Prior-service members entering the active Army with less than a three-year break in service are not required to attend BCT if they previously completed Army or Marine Corps basic, or training for Air Force or Navy special operations forces, or Air Force security police.
                        Prior-service personnel from the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard entering the active Army or reserve components must attend BCT, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have not attended Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.
                        • Prior-service personnelentering the Army National Guard or Army Reserve will go straight to their unit of assignment, regardless of the length of their break in service, if they have completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or special operations training for the Air Force or Navy, or Air Force security police.

Disregard because what I posted appeared to have changed to reflect the current policy. What I saw originally was that people who went active after a 3 year break was waived BCT based if they were prior AD Army/Marine Corps. I guess that is not the case. As you were.
                        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X