X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benning BCT/AIT family day/36 hour pass

My daughter and I will be attending "family day" for her BF(his family is unable to attend) at benning in july at kanell field - there is a brief ceremony (of some sort) and then family direction/mtg about 36 hour pass..... just wondering if anyone had anyone insight or information on the day and what exactly goes on.... not really sure what to expect. Travelling a long way(PA) all new to me....Thanks

Re: Benning BCT/AIT family day/36 hour pass

Originally posted by just2knowmom View Post
    My daughter and I will be attending "family day" for her BF(his family is unable to attend) at benning in july at kanell field - there is a brief ceremony (of some sort) and then family direction/mtg about 36 hour pass..... just wondering if anyone had anyone insight or information on the day and what exactly goes on.... not really sure what to expect. Travelling a long way(PA) all new to me....Thanks
    1. you travel to columbus the day before
    2. you go to the ceremony, generally it is around 9am or so
    3. they all put their berets on, showing that they have moved from trainees to BCT grads
    4. you get the safety brief (no drinking, no smoking, no ***, no breaking the law, and they give you a time to have everyone back
    5. you go have fun around columbus (hang out around the exit 10 area, it is the nice part of town
    6. you bring them back the next evening, make sure you give ample time to get back, there is no harm in hanging out in the parking lot for a half hour before he has to get back into formation. traffic will more than likely be a nightmare getting back on post.
    7. you say bye, he goes back to pt and training in the morning, and you go home.

it is all pretty straightforward, just make sure you get to the field a little before it is time for it to start, to get a good seat, and familarize yourself with sand hill, and exactly which field it is. I am not familiar with that one, the only field i know is pomeroy, which is by the px. there should be instructions on how to find it though. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask

Comment

Thank you... the CO letter had basic info date/time but didnt know if there would be any additional info and his family is across state....shes gotten letters but no calls recently..have idea and map where field is -located near visitors center so seems easy enough to get there.Thanks for the info

Comment

which battalion is it? it has been a while since i have been there, but i might still be able to remember where most of them are.. we certainly ran sand hill enough times to learn the roads. also, if it is by the visitors center, it is easy to get there. you go through the gate, down past 30th ag, then just stay on that road and the 2nd right you can make, take it. then his BN should be somewhere at the end of that road. sounds like 1/19 to me? there will be plenty of signs though, so dont worry. just follow the parade of cars

Comment

he is in 198/ B 2-54 Osut .... I actually requested a map form visitors center covering sand hill area and it shows location above rec center area. Thanks for the info about signs, I figured it should be well marked.....we leave next wed. family day is friday at 9. She got a letter yesterday as well as a photo of him on FB from SFT with a notecard message. I will let you know how everything goes....Thanks again

Comment

My daughter and I are back from family day. the pass was exactly extended until sunday at 1800 so it was a nice long weekend/visit. Having never been to fort Benning, I wasnt sure what to expect. driving into the main entrance is pretty impressive, access points/gates were quick and easy. everything was marked well and easy to get to. The family day ceremony was moved into an open but covered area of the barracks due to chance of rain. the ceremony was brief but nice.everyone we met or change in contact with from a Col., SDS SFC, DS SSG etc family/friends and other soldiers were nice and very helpful. Everything was very nice. Thank you for all your help too. we will be going back from graduation in August. We went through the National Infantry museum which was very very nice!

Comment

just one last note.... my daughter and I will be heading down to Fort Benning along with her boyfriends father for the turning blue and graduation ceremony later this week. I have gotten a lot of helpful information and responses on the forum. Thank you.

Comment

just remember that for the grad, it will more than likely be at the NIM. the turning blue will probably be in the CTA (same place you had the ceremony for the family day)

Comment

Turning blue was at CTA and grad was at NIM. We attended both- His ( the soldiers) father, my daughter and I. The graduation ceremony was very nice.The NIM is a beautiful faciltiy. It was nice to see so many attend to honor the soldiers and their accomplishments.

Comment

Working...
                  X