X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sending mail

my daughters college boyfriend just left for bct/ait, her and I were actually the ones that took him to the armory before he left.He said to write but are letters better than cards?He is going send his address. I want to send the best thing.I know they don't have much spare time.Seems like a small thing but just wanted to ask.Thanks.

Re: sending mail

I leave for OSUT in August, and I hope my gf, mom, grandmother, and the rest of my family write. While I'm sure my gf will pick out some silly cards, I hope she takes the time to actually write some personal stuff on there, and not just sign it. I'm sure he will want to hear about everything that's going on back home, so as long as it's personal, I doubt what the note is written on will matter.

Comment

Maam,

"Mail Call" is arguably the best part of any soldiers day particularly when going through initial active duty training or other strenuous course of instruction. Cards or letters are equally as acceptable...but my advice is to make them as "personal" as possible. The seperation from family and a girlfriend is particularly hard and personal messages of encouragment, pride and even current local and life events keeps a new soldier connected with his "back home" reality. Another important aspect (particularly for your daughter) is to write OFTEN. Daily if possible, but at least a few times a week. He will be excited every time he gets personal mail from home, and going weeks (for example) without a letter while most of your peers get them is an equally horrible feeling. I kept every single letter I ever recieved while at training, and as I write this I'm looking at the folder where I keep them all. It's great to go back years later and re-live BCT mail call! Good luck!

Comment

Mail Call was THE BEST time of the day! Even though you're not gone for very long, you really feel it when they're calling out names for mail and they either do (or DON'T) call yours. Letters from my kids and fiance got me through some pretty hard days.

OP, I don't think it matters whether its cards or letters but the more you have to read from back home the better! Just don't send pictures (if you can help it) as those are opened to make sure they are not inappropriate and DON'T send candy, junk food, fatty cakes or anything other contraband.

My fiance posted my address on my Facebook page so that everyone I knew might send just a letter or two; it added up to alot and I still have them all

Comment

Chris, FYI at OCS you will be doing pushups to "earn" your mail. Every TAC is different, but a pushup per cent of postage is not atypical. Once I figured that out my family sent me postcards instead of envelopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            Chris, FYI at OCS you will be doing pushups to "earn" your mail. Every TAC is different, but a pushup per cent of postage is not atypical. Once I figured that out my family sent me postcards instead of envelopes.
            Well my kids have already asked, "since you're only going for 2 months....do we have to write?" (they're teens) But I'll remember the postcard bit regardless...

Comment

I agree. All mail was good mail! Perhaps send him both cards and letters so he'll get a variety. Care packages were nice as well; although you don't want to send him things that could get him into trouble. Things like pictures, extra socks, and his favorite soup are nice items to receive. Good luck to him! Training should be blast!

Comment

Just quick update... his family sent CO letter to daughter so she got address pretty fast, she gotten several letters and PHONECALLS too(short but still calls) and she has written.....he phased to white at the beginning of month so one step closer. planning trip for mid cycle pass after BCT before AIT and then again for AIT grad. Thank you for responses.

Comment

That's great! It's good to hear everything worked out. Good luck to him on the rest of his training!

For those that aren't familiar with what goes on during White Phase, check this out: http://bit.ly/LI15rO

Comment

1. Mail your Soldier some pre-stamped postcards, pre-addressed to you. That way, he can jot off a quick note in the chow line. The post office sells them.
                    2. Write your Soldier a letter at least weekly. I recommend no more than a page, written in clear handwriting or typed in a font slightly larger than normal. He may be reading your letters by dim flashlight.
                    3. Keep the topics light and positive. This is not the time to raise complicated issues about which he can do nothing.
                    4. Can't think of anything to write? Then write out what you did that day (refer to #3 above, however). Tell him all the mundane, ordinary things you did that day. A Soldier longs for the routines of home. You'll also speed his reintegration upon his return if you've already told him that the cat sprained her paw, his cousin got a promotion at the wig factory, and you started using a new fabric softener. For him, life stopped when you dropped him off at the armory, but the rest of the world kept on spinning. Keeping him abreast on the minutiae of the domestic situation keeps him integrated and engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                      1. Mail your Soldier some pre-stamped postcards, pre-addressed to you. That way, he can jot off a quick note in the chow line. The post office sells them.
                      Both times I was down at Benning we stood at parade rest (at the very least) in line for chow. Generally, somebody was getting us in trouble and we were at attention, or doing pushups waiting for food

Comment

Working...
                      X