X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIT and College

I am 17 years old and I am going to be a senior in High School. I am highly considering doing SMP with the national guard at the university I attend. I have been talking with my recruiter and she said that I would get to most colleges about 2 weeks late even if I attend a very short MOS. I talked with my mum and she said that you need to be at university on time or early especially with it being my freshman year. My question is if it is worth it to just choose an MOS that I like more which has a long AIT time and just start university a year later? I took a practice ASVAB and scored very high on it, so that wont be a limiting factor. I understand that MOS openings depend on the state's needs, not what I want. Should I choose a MOS with a long AIT? Or should I just find a MOS with a short AIT and try to get in to college that year? Opinions?

Re: AIT and College

I can tell you from personal experience (hard and unwanted experience) that you DO NOT want to pick any MOS that doesn't or wont make you happy. Furthermore, if your certain you'll be doing college, I might even go so far as to say that you may find yourself to be the most overqualified person in the room doing what you never even wanted to do). Best to select a job that you find both challenging and rewarding, one which uses your intellect and which will reward you for you education instead of one where the more educated you become in other subjects, may only reward you with growing disinterest.

Comment

So if I were to lets just say love 25B, you would recommend to go to that and do the AIT for that and then go to college a semester or one year late?

Comment

Absolutely. 25B is a technical job (and while Ill admit I've never been an IT guy) I can still say that your education (if its computer based as I presume) should set your apart from your counterparts (at least until you graduate with your IT degree as other IT officers may also have the same). That matters little though. Its a high paying job in the civilian world which is a NECESSITY. You don't want to do a job that doesn;t pay when you get out otherwise you may find yourself at the unemployment office soon after. A job you enjoy you'll keep. I understand that at your age your parents just want to see you educated and so dont want any part in you taking any 'breaks'. Make your decision and stand by it but also, be sure to tell them that your (college) education is just as important to you as it is to them. You want to do it but you want your training to supplement your education and not stand totally apart from it (for example: its easy to understand that driving a truck in the military wouldn't help you gain any useful experience which might be applicable to an undergraduate degree in genetics).

Use the opportunities the military can provide you to supplement your aspirations and dont sell yourself short. Your parent want to see you succeed as well. Just let them know you will be happier and your not putting college off, your trying to gain experience as you complete the education you'll be getting upon your return.

Comment

I replied to this but it disappeared... Anyways...

Yes. That's what I'm saying. I went to school at 28 after 10 years of military, not 19 after 1 or less. It can be done.

The most important thing here is that you don't forget about your EDUCATION. Your parents just want to see you succeed. They want to see you educated because they know its the key to any good civilian career. If 25B is what you want and your certain of it, by all means you should absolutely do it. However, DO NOT sell yourself short and put off your education past your return. Don't find excuses to not attend upon AIT completion. Finish it.

Explain to your parents that your education is just as important to you and it is to them. An MOS which supplements your education will offer your both greater salary demand and your education will increase your advancement opportunities in your field. They will each find the other beneficial, education and experience. Above all though is you not letting yourself down, not quitting, not giving up on your promise to attend college for both yourself and your parents, no matter how long your training may be.

Comment

Originally posted by etsu81 View Post
            driving a truck in the military wouldn't help you gain any useful experience which might be applicable to an undergraduate degree in genetics).
            No, not directly. Another school of thought is to do something in the Guard that is different from one's civilian life, to gain an entirely different set of experiences.

Comment

Okay, thank you! Would you possibly know about after ROTC/SMP? Would I become an officer in the Signal Corps if my MOS when I'm enlisted is 25B? Or how would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by blink2020 View Post
                Okay, thank you! Would you possibly know about after ROTC/SMP? Would I become an officer in the Signal Corps if my MOS when I'm enlisted is 25B? Or how would that work?
                What you choose to do as an enlisted man will not have anything to do with the branch you choose as an officer. I recommend getting the MOS that gets you the most College Money.

Comment

Do I have a choice for which branch I get as an officer?

Comment

Do I have a choice for which branch I get as an officer?
                    You will get a wish list.

Comment

So how I do on the "points" board correlates to the chances of me getting my preferred field?

Comment

So how I do on the "points" board correlates to the chances of me getting my preferred field?

APFT and Leadership Skills!!!! Only time will tell.

Comment

okay! Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by etsu81 View Post
                            I went to school at 28 after 10 years of military, not 19 after 1 or less. It can be done.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	6787a1f39c0c115ae487c557cdb6740a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	426

Comment

It will be a culmination of factors that play in what you recieve; APFT, leadership evaluations during ROTC, LDAC/Advanced Camp performance, extra curricular activities, GPA and recommendations from your PMS.

Do well in all of these things, and you'll find yourself with the assignments you've asked for. Do poorly, and you may recieve a branch or component that you may not want.

Comment

Working...
                              X