X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I prior service?

Several people have told me that I am considered prior service now. How can this be true? I have been to basic but not completed AIT. I was in OCS last year and was injured and sent home. I've been in the guard for 2 years now, is that why?

Re: Am I prior service?

Originally posted by NC Bearcat View Post
    Several people have told me that I am considered prior service now. How can this be true? I have been to basic but not completed AIT. I was in OCS last year and was injured and sent home. I've been in the guard for 2 years now, is that why?
    you've been in the guard for 2 years and you're wondering if your prior service??....that can't be a real question

Comment

I have been in the guard less than a month, no bct even, and I am still technically prior-service. You can be discharged before bct even, and still technically be prior service.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLady View Post
        I have been in the guard less than a month, no bct even, and I am still technically prior-service. You can be discharged before bct even, and still technically be prior service.
        No. That would be called glossary non prior service.

Comment

If you haven't completed AIT or are MOSQ then you're considered Glossary Non-Prior Service until you become MOSQ but that's not until you're discharged. There may be some grey area due to you enlisting OCS Option.

Definition straight from the ARNG Accessions Options Supplement:
          Glossary Non-prior Service (GNPS) – Persons who were previously separated from any US Armed Force, to include a reserve components, are classified as GNPS if they have served on active duty for less than 180 days and have not previously been awarded an MOS. Applicants who are MOS qualified regardless of time on active duty are considered prior service.

If you've been in 24 months and are not MOSQ, then there's this:

2-2. Basic eligibility criteria for all nonprior Service applicants
          All nonprior service (NPS) and glossary nonprior service (GNPS) applicants enlisting into the ARNG are required to be in a deployable status within 24 months of enlistment. Delays beyond 24 months are prohibited by federal law. Soldiers failing to become deployable within 24 months of enlistment must be discharged per NGR 600-200. No exceptions authorized.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
            If you haven't completed AIT or are MOSQ then you're considered Glossary Non-Prior Service until you become MOSQ but that's not until you're discharged. There may be some grey area due to you enlisting OCS Option.

Definition straight from the ARNG Accessions Options Supplement:
            Glossary Non-prior Service (GNPS) – Persons who were previously separated from any US Armed Force, to include a reserve components, are classified as GNPS if they have served on active duty for less than 180 days and have not previously been awarded an MOS. Applicants who are MOS qualified regardless of time on active duty are considered prior service.

If you've been in 24 months and are not MOSQ, then there's this:

2-2. Basic eligibility criteria for all nonprior Service applicants
            All nonprior service (NPS) and glossary nonprior service (GNPS) applicants enlisting into the ARNG are required to be in a deployable status within 24 months of enlistment. Delays beyond 24 months are prohibited by federal law. Soldiers failing to become deployable within 24 months of enlistment must be discharged per NGR 600-200. No exceptions authorized.
            Thanks for the explanation. Trying to figure out what to expect once I get to AIT, and if I can drive there.

Comment

Working...
            X