X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police?

I have been long interested in joining a domestic police department, but I cannot ignore a longing to serve the United States in a more direct way. In essence, I have been supremely interested in joining the National Guard MP's (31B). However I have been told by my brother, a current State Guardsman, that joining the the MPs will not provide as much a head start in the domestic law enforcement field as a four year degree (something I intend to do as well) I was just hoping to get the experience of someone who has attempted doing the same. My current field of interest is in S.W.A.T (serving either in my hometown or in the FBI). and if my brother is correct about the 4- year degree, which degree would provide a better experience in getting a head start in the Police Force. I am currently 19 and about to enter my sophomore year, right now focusing on political science. Any remarks/suggestions? I appreciate all help.

Re: Military Police?

Go find a forum that is law enforcement orientated and do some reading there about degrees.

As far as MP, your brother is right, it really won't give you a lot of law enforcement experience.

Comment

If you are wanting something like SWAT or HRT, go to the FBI's homepage and lookup the requirements.

What I can tell you from the guys down the hall, is that HRT/JTF spots for the FBI look for former military or PD Officers with Spec Weaps training or counter-terrorism. What that translates to is - 11B or 11X with operational experience in small unit tactics, counter insurgency, HRT functions and the like. In addition, you have to be able to function well in a very close knit team and you have to know the legal backings.

So, in terms of your degree, look at pre-law, poly sci w/ an emphasis on domestic law or international affairs/international intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        Go find a forum that is law enforcement orientated and do some reading there about degrees.

As far as MP, your brother is right, it really won't give you a lot of law enforcement experience.
        This. I believe 911jobforums.com is one that is geared towards federal law enforcement especially if you're interested in 1811 positions.

Comment

yes an mp guards the bases right?

Comment

Originally posted by thesolider3456 View Post
            Is that a question or are you telling us?

Comment

It's gotta be a statement...All LTCs must know what MPs do!

Comment

Originally posted by Chivvy View Post
                I have been told by my brother, a current State Guardsman, that joining the the MPs will not provide as much a head start in the domestic law enforcement field as a four year degree.
                As an MP, you will become an expert at giving people a ticket for going 2 MPH over the speed limit and busting soldiers walking around without PT belts. Also, you will look very elite walking around in the DFAC with your headgear on.

Comment

Originally posted by thesolider3456 View Post
                  Sir,

With all due respect to you and your rank, my experience tells me that it is a very rare circumstance for a National Guard MP to guard an active-duty military base. The exception to the rule may be an M-Day Guardsman hired on as a civilian contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    Sir,

With all due respect to you and your rank, my experience tells me that it is a very rare circumstance for a National Guard MP to guard an active-duty military base. The exception to the rule may be an M-Day Guardsman hired on as a civilian contractor.
                    Don't be fooled young Lieutenant. He is just another example of Stolen Valor (impersonating an officer), NG Forums edition.

Comment

.............. and the thief mis-spelled "soldier" in their name.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2K View Post
                        Don't be fooled young Lieutenant. He is just another example of Stolen Valor (impersonating an officer), NG Forums edition.
                        FIXED

Comment

i want to be in the police force to

Comment

Haha, his new avatar is more fitting to his profile biography which reads "im an avid call of duty player I shoot bb guns ive got a power line 201 and 35".

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin View Post
                              i want to be in the police force to
                              This is not a complete sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X