Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can my son be shipped to AIT before his high school graduation? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my son be shipped to AIT before his high school graduation?

My son joined the NG as a junior in high school and went to basic last summer,he has to finish his AIT this summer.He was at drill this weekend and was told he ships out June 6,his high school class graduates on June 8.He was told by his recruiter he would get to graduate before he ships,but I know recruiters don't always tell the truth.
    If he has to go on the 6th he has to go,but we are very unhappy he will not get to graduate with his class.For anyone thinging about doing split option----DON'T DO IT!Do it all in the same year!

Re: Can my son be shipped to AIT before his high school graduation?

If this was an issue it should have been brought up long before now. Changing a ship date isn't an issue until it's within 45 days, then it's VERY difficult and costly to the State.

The Guard requires a Split Op soldier to graduate, not walk at their graduation ceremony.

Comment

We tried to find out ship date earlier but they didn't know it,he just found out ship date at his monthly drill last weekend.
      It wouldn't have been a real issue except his recruiter said he would not ship until after his graduation,he lied that is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by toledojeeper View Post
        We tried to find out ship date earlier but they didn't know it,he just found out ship date at his monthly drill last weekend.
        It wouldn't have been a real issue except his recruiter said he would not ship until after his graduation,he lied that is the issue.
        Did he actually lie, or did he make an idle promise? I'm not necessarily defending the individual, but unless we define the problem properly we can't correct it. The path to correct a moral failure is different than correcting professional knowledge.

Comment

your son is a the whim of the state and his recruiters from what it sounds like. Dropping ship dates costs the state and the guard a big chunk of change which is why they are so relucant to do so.

The best thing you and your son can do is try to pull some strings in your son's RSD leadership. Don't push too hard. Your goal is not to make any enemies.
          hey, you'll always have his AIT and his college graduations to look forward later on down the road if it doesnt work out.

Comment

Originally posted by toledojeeper View Post
            My son joined the NG as a junior in high school and went to basic last summer,he has to finish his AIT this summer.He was at drill this weekend and was told he ships out June 6,his high school class graduates on June 8.He was told by his recruiter he would get to graduate before he ships,but I know recruiters don't always tell the truth.
            If he has to go on the 6th he has to go,but we are very unhappy he will not get to graduate with his class.For anyone thinging about doing split option----DON'T DO IT!Do it all in the same year!
            What kind of HS graduates in June anyway? Did they have a bunch of extended days because of weather or something?

At the end of the day, you and your son may be unhappy he doesn't get to walk with his class. An early June ship date is pretty common with SPLIT-OP soldiers, so my bet is your son "probably" already knew that going in...and probably well before his last drill weekend. If he didn't, then he did not do his research.

As it was already said, he WILL complete his classes and graduate but walking at the ceremony is a different story. At the end of the day he signed on the dotted line and he now belongs to the Guard.

Comment

All the schools in the area have graduations in June(never seen a school not have graduation in June),last day of school is late May.And he has aked every drill weekend for the past 3 months when his ship date is and they didn't know till last weekend.

Comment

I am from New York City and school lets out in June and returns after Labor Day. Like I wrote, I was split-op, graduated HS in late June 1984 and went to my AIT in July for 12B at Fort LeonardWood. July start dates are possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  I am from New York City and school lets out in June and returns after Labor Day. Like I wrote, I was split-op, graduated HS in late June 1984 and went to my AIT in July for 12B at Fort LeonardWood. July start dates are possible.
                  don't mean to hijack this thread but...

Chief, you joined the guard, then joined the marines? i'm trying to imagine what marine basic was like for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                    don't mean to hijack this thread but...

Chief, you joined the guard, then joined the marines? i'm trying to imagine what marine basic was like for you.
                    I wrote a response and it did not go through.

Well, I wrote that I spent my first four years in the Reserves and Guard and then I switched to the Marines and had to go to boot camp all over again. Yes, the Marines are the most strict and disciplined out of all the armed forces and I remember getting PTed (smoked) because a recruit called the DI a drill sergeant. That set the chain off. He asked all who were prior service to head to the quarterdeck and tortured us for a good 90 minutes. I never had experienced such sore and burning forearms in all my life.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 2nd, 2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X