Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bbbangz
    started a topic Cell phone trouble at OSUT

Cell phone trouble at OSUT

My son is currently at OSUT- 31b. Last week before final Ruck march.
    Another Soilder in training was being discharged and thought he would be a cool buddy and grabbed 3 of the others phones and give it to them. My son took the bait; hook, line and sinker. He and the other buddies had their phone in the barracks for a week before the DS found out. I am not sure of the details other than on Sunday we did not receive a call, instead I received a call from a different buddy and indicated that my son had been caught with his phone. He could not talk long because he still needed to call his own family but promised my son her would let me know. He mentioned that he overheard the DS saying that he would might get sent home. My son totally dropped the ball. But my question is, could he be sent home for this, fined, heavy duty punishment? Has anyone else done this and what where the consequences? I have a call in to his RSP contact who is also checking the status.
    Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

• eqmcclure
    replied
    Re: Cell phone trouble at OSUT

TRADOC's going soft!

Leave a comment:

• bbbangz
    replied

My dad said the same thing. He was of course incredibly disspaointed with his grandson but then he went on to tell me all of his stories of boot camp. He was in the army and served 2 tours in Vietnam, so when I told him about the phone issue he laughed because for him that is far different boot camp than he ever experienced.

Leave a comment:

• AIRBORNE
    replied

Cellphone trouble............that is funny!

Leave a comment:

• VICEROY06
    replied

Originally posted by bbbangz View Post
    Update.. We were able to talk to him today, we still do not the exact ramifications other than they did do an article 15, there is come kind of $400 fine. He is in OSUT at FLW. They did their ruck march but he was not allowed to participate in the Rites of passage. There is an 8 hour pass today which he was not allowed. But he is to start the AIT portion tomorrow. What does it usually mean when he does not do the rites of passage? Is his graduation date delayed?
    FORT LOST IN THE WOODS?

wish you had said that earlier. Yeah, your son is lucky he isn't getting sent home. They don't play AT ALL over there.

In my opinion Rites of Passage is blah. Soldiers going through OSUT don't have the luxury of having a second location to attend AIT after a couple weeks to a few months of downtime after BCT. They stay in the same battalion, same company, same platoon, same Cadre throughout their training. So, At the end of what would be BCT and basically the beginning of AIT they run around in the woods with the Drill Sergeants for a few days (FTX) then pretty much say in so many words, congratulations, you're a soldier. Now hit the barracks and take a damn shower.

Leave a comment:

• bbbangz
    replied

Update.. We were able to talk to him today, we still do not the exact ramifications other than they did do an article 15, there is come kind of $400 fine. He is in OSUT at FLW. They did their ruck march but he was not allowed to participate in the Rites of passage. There is an 8 hour pass today which he was not allowed. But he is to start the AIT portion tomorrow. What does it usually mean when he does not do the rites of passage? Is his graduation date delayed?

Leave a comment:

• Bmac
    replied

Wow. My initial training packing list for this summer includes cell phones and a laptop (required).

Leave a comment:

• Chief Kemosabe
    replied

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
    Wasn't that the one where you had to turn the Pterodactyl's tail to get the operator?

Haha. Yes, those were the days I had to put my kiwi on my feet to get a high-gloss shine.

Originally posted by ThirteenFox View Post
    January 2008, Fort Sill. Only had pay phones.

Cue the "my basic was harder than yours" stories!
    That was not the purpose of my response. All I was saying that with convenience and improved technology, there may be born more issues than any. Personally, I would not want to waste money so I can communicate during BCT.

What they should do; is provide (AT&T) phone cards like we received free when went downrange and to remain using payphones since you had better control of the masses during training.

Leave a comment:

• ThirteenFox
    replied

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
    I went to Basic in 1983 when we just had pay phones lol.
    January 2008, Fort Sill. Only had pay phones.

Cue the "my basic was harder than yours" stories!

Leave a comment:

• TxIntel 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
    Wasn't that the one where you had to turn the Pterodactyl's tail to get the operator?

Leave a comment:

• Chief Kemosabe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bbbangz
    replied

Thanks for the responses, it is greatly appreciated. He definitely needed an integrity check. I am literally floored that he would do something this boneheaded this far into it. I will definitely update once I find out what the final outcome is. Hoping that it will get the point across to any new recruits that they have to keep their priorities in check.

Leave a comment:

• VICEROY06
    replied

Originally posted by StandFast85 View Post
    I graduated 03/2013 from Ft. Benning OSUT and we had this same thing happen. A couple of the guys involved were in fact separated from the military while some received article 15's. It depended on their level of involvement. It sounds like your son needed an integrity check as it was.
    Separated huh? That's pretty steep. With that being said, though, each company, each battalion at Benning is different. What would be no big deal in one company would be grounds for dishonorable discharge in another. That's why it pays not to be a follower--just to do the right damn thing, graduate, and go home unscaved.

Leave a comment:

• StandFast85
    replied

I graduated 03/2013 from Ft. Benning OSUT and we had this same thing happen. A couple of the guys involved were in fact separated from the military while some received article 15's. It depended on their level of involvement. It sounds like your son needed an integrity check as it was.

Leave a comment:

• VICEROY06
    replied

Originally posted by bbbangz View Post
    My son is currently at OSUT- 31b. Last week before final Ruck march.
    Another Soilder in training was being discharged and thought he would be a cool buddy and grabbed 3 of the others phones and give it to them. My son took the bait; hook, line and sinker. He and the other buddies had their phone in the barracks for a week before the DS found out. I am not sure of the details other than on Sunday we did not receive a call, instead I received a call from a different buddy and indicated that my son had been caught with his phone. He could not talk long because he still needed to call his own family but promised my son her would let me know. He mentioned that he overheard the DS saying that he would might get sent home. My son totally dropped the ball. But my question is, could he be sent home for this, fined, heavy duty punishment? Has anyone else done this and what where the consequences? I have a call in to his RSP contact who is also checking the status.
    Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
    I doubt very seriously that he's going to get sent home. At the most he may possibly get an article 15 but that's also doubtful. Most that would probably happen is he'd never get to use his cellphone again until it's time to graduate. I'm shocked his actions didn't cause the entire platoon if not the entire company to lose their cellphone priviledges. Anything like that happening when I was in OSUT caused the whole company to be placed on lockdown.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X