Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the military pay for my flight home from AIT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the military pay for my flight home from AIT?

After graduation from AIT I will be flying from Fort Meade, Maryland back home to Ohio. Will the military pay for my flight or do I have to pay out of pocket for it. Also on the flight home do I wear ACU or civilian clothes?

Re: Does the military pay for my flight home from AIT?

Originally posted by Mckee12 View Post
    After graduation from AIT I will be flying from Fort Meade, Maryland back home to Ohio. Will the military pay for my flight or do I have to pay out of pocket for it. Also on the flight home do I wear ACU or civilian clothes?
    They will get you back to where you came from on their dime. Not sure on the attire.

Comment

Yes, they pay the fare. When I graduated in the 80s, I had to wear my Class Bs (and the cute garrison cap) on the way home. It was nice enjoying the USO at Lambert Field.

Comment

Yes they pay. ACU's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mckee12 View Post
          Not only do you not pay out of pocket for transportation, they also give you a food voucher to eat at the airport in case there's a layover.

Be ready for whatever. It's not always as cut and dry as graduating from AIT, then hopping the plane home.

Some people have had to hit the airport right after graduation in their dress blues. Some people have had to wait days--even weeks before they flew home. And that sucks because depending on where you are you may be required to continue to come to all formations and do PT with the rest of the company until the day you leave.

The EASY way to alleviate that problem is to have someone drive you off base ANYWAY and pay for a hotel room. It's worth it even if it's out of pocket to relax at your leisure in a hotel room for a couple days than to be yelled at and forced to move from room to room to accomodate incoming trainees and follow a daily training schedule.

Considering the furloughs on air traffic controllers there's no telling what could happen. Whatever the case may be don't be 'that guy' that gets smoked or causes a whole platoon to get smoked because you want to suck on sour apples if you don't leave at the scheduled time.

As far as what you wear I haven't heard of anyone being told not to travel in ACU's after graduation. But if you just GOTTA wear your civvies there's nothing wrong with that either.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; April 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

My husband drove down to Fort Sill from Michigan and we drove back together. Not only did I recieve mileage for the entire trip but meal per dium and hotels too. I didn't care about what to wear, I just wanted off that base! (to be with my family)

I agree with VICEROY, get a room and relax.

You'll be covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              My husband drove down to Fort Sill from Michigan and we drove back together. Not only did I recieve mileage for the entire trip but meal per dium and hotels too. I didn't care about what to wear, I just wanted off that base! (to be with my family)

I agree with VICEROY, get a room and relax.

You'll be covered.
              For NG/USAR Soldiers returning from IAT, they should only be paid for the cheapest form of transportation to the government which is usually a plane ticket. If you actually got paid for it, then your circumstances were far different then his.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                For NG/USAR Soldiers returning from IAT, they should only be paid for the cheapest form of transportation to the government which is usually a plane ticket. If you actually got paid for it, then your circumstances were far different then his.
                Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
                  Chris, did you fill out this form when you returned?

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...s/dd1351-2.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                    Chris, did you fill out this form when you returned?

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/i...s/dd1351-2.pdf
                    I believe I signed it, but I did not fill it out; it would have been whatever form they were using October 2011. The admin in the RSP office just had me submit to her my hotel and food receipts and they estimated my mileage from Fort Sill, OK to Lansing, Michigan, then the money showed up in my account in a couple weeks.

Comment

I believe I signed it, but I did not fill it out; it would have been whatever form they were using October 2011. The admin in the RSP office just had me submit to her my hotel and food receipts and they estimated my mileage from Fort Sill, OK to Lansing, Michigan, then the money showed up in my account in a couple weeks.
                      You got paid, but probably not for the amount you actually spent. Next time you travel, pay attention to the voucher that is sent back to you. While you may even broke even this time, it's very easy to loose money in traveling especially when things may not be authorized (hotel room, gas ect).

Comment

The last time I drove to and from a training I was reimbursed up to the cost of a plane ticket. I was driving cross country and the round trip cost of a plane ticket was around $600. That covered the cost of getting to the training, but not the trip home. So, the trip home was out of pocket but well worth having a vehicle for 16wks.

Comment

You got paid, but probably not for the amount you actually spent. Next time you travel, pay attention to the voucher that is sent back to you. While you may even broke even this time, it's very easy to loose money in traveling especially when things may not be authorized (hotel room, gas ect).
                          It was always the plan that I was going to drive back so we made sure it was authorized ahead of time. I did receive everything back that they said I would. My 2 hotel rooms, mileage and my meals for 2 days. It was a couple years ago though so I do not remember the per dium amounts.

I did not mean to cause confusion with the OP by throwing a different scenerio into the thread; my apologies again.

Comment

It was always the plan that I was going to drive back so we made sure it was authorized ahead of time. I did receive everything back that they said I would. My 2 hotel rooms, mileage and my meals for 2 days. It was a couple years ago though so I do not remember the per dium amounts.

I did not mean to cause confusion with the OP by throwing a different scenerio into the thread; my apologies again.
                            What I mean by authorized, is authorized on your orders, not your unit say it's ok to do so. I'm going to bet it wasn't authorized and you just lucked out and broke even. The reason I say this is because for it to be authorized would have required significant modifications to your orders allowing it. The Army is very cheap when it comes to travel, especially now the DTS.

Comment

What I mean by authorized, is authorized on your orders, not your unit say it's ok to do so. I'm going to bet it wasn't authorized and you just lucked out and broke even. The reason I say this is because for it to be authorized would have required significant modifications to your orders allowing it. The Army is very cheap when it comes to travel, especially now the DTS.
                              Ah....understood. You are correct, my unit said it was 'OK' and when I got to about week 9 and the NG liaison came to talk to us all about our travel, etc..that is when my battery found out. They simply did not book me a ticket home. I thought I was saving them money by driving, my husband said tickets, at that time were near $1,000+.

Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                              X