X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25b certain on enlistment...

I filled out all of my information several months ago, but never went through with everything because I have loans in default and I wanted to get those back in good standing first. Now that I have done that, there seem to be no openings for my preferred MOS in virginia (where I live). They're are plenty around the country and I am interested in shipping to basic and getting everything rolling ASAP. If I enlist with Virginia, I imagine getting a ship date will take quite some time considering the lack of vacancies right? Or should I just enlist somewhere where there are actual vacancies?

Re: 25b certain on enlistment...

You may want to ask this elsewhere. 25B is an enlisted MOS and its not likely someone with the proper information will respond in this section of the forum.

Comment

25B requires a secret clearance. With your credit history, you are likely to be denied the clearance.

Comment

Considering how many people had loans in default due to the latest market crash, loan defaults are rarely DQ for clearance. Especially if you have fixed these before applying. It is best to consult with the actual MEPS person who gives initial clearance (not actual clearance but signs that he thinks you can get one) as recruiters often do not know current guidance and just want easy entrance applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmm2723 View Post
          Considering how many people had loans in default due to the latest market crash, loan defaults are rarely DQ for clearance. Especially if you have fixed these before applying. It is best to consult with the actual MEPS person who gives initial clearance (not actual clearance but signs that he thinks you can get one) as recruiters often do not know current guidance and just want easy entrance applicants.
          This is true. Until an explanation is provided for the reasons of the default; that can be a determinant for a denial or approval of a clearance. I just went with the notion that if you have debt obligations that you have not met; it can provide a rationale that you can be vulnerable to bribes, theft, etc. And it has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Rmm2723 View Post
            You're basing this on what? I had a SFC who'd clearance was denied for a previous default. Might want to make sure you're not tossing out bad info.

Comment

Basing it on my ample experience as a fed civilian. Previous defaults can be DQ worthy, but rarely on their own. Usually it is one of a few reasons that combine to deny you. The main justification in why someone with defaults should be denied is that they are more likely to be coerced by money into giving up secrets. If you are constantly having money issues you will normally be denied for this reason alone. If you can show that it was due to hardship, young age, etc. reason that is one time, and that you can now be trusted with money (aka all accounts are in good standing and you haven't taken out large amounts of loans (usually ignoring school / home loans)) then it is likely that you may still be eligible. But this isn't for someone to decide on an online forum (we aren't qual'd and we don't know person's whole package). I just wanted to state that you should talk to the correct person before counting yourself out and also have some hope as they have been a little more lenient on loans in recent years due to higher unemployment and the housing bubble.
              Last edited by Rmm2723; February 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A
                Can somebody move this thread to the appropriate place?

(Thread moved. Thanks.)

Comment

There seem to be no openings for my preferred MOS in virginia (where I live). They're are plenty around the country and I am interested in shipping to basic and getting everything rolling ASAP. This may be a dumb question, but If I enlist with Virginia, I imagine getting a ship date will take quite some time considering the lack of vacancies right?Should I just enlist somewhere where there are actual vacancies?

Comment

If there aren't any 25B vacancies in VA you're not going to be able to join as a 25B until there is one. There are ship dates all the time, they do not hinge on certain vacancies being available.

If you're close enough to a bordering state, contact a Recruiter in that state and see if they have any 25B vacancies. Keep in mind, you'll need to attend RSP and drill with that Unit once you return from training.

Comment

What I'm hearing is it won't really affect when I ship to basic, and you said I won't be able to enlist as a 25b. So I would have to join with another MOS?

Comment

Working...
                      X