Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Construction Battalion Center (12W)

I'm currently in week 4 of my 7 week stay here in Gulfport, MS. This place is great compared to BCT. No Drill Sergeants around, so you can eat your food in peace. Aaaaaaaah. Loving the college dorm room-like environment. The sergeants are more relaxed here. It's also a great experience to be around Navy and Air Force personnel. Luckily, the last two graduating classes have left, which has removed a lot of immature individuals. It's a good time to properly mentor incoming soldiers instead of having them tainted by the immaturity of prior classes. All in all I've had a great experience here.

Re: Navy Construction Battalion Center (12W)

Have you ever served on active or are you one of these older people who joined late in life?

I met alot of seabees during my time as a combat engineer. Your WBGT is probably going to be real high this time of year.

Comment

I joined at 38. Did BCT at Fort Benning last summer and I'm doing AIT at NCBC. There are tons of new guys coming in every week. Good thing is as more of the undesirables ship out there's more opportunity to influence incoming guys to do the right thing. Without revealing too much info, the actions of past soldiers has caused future soldiers to lose a lot of priviledges.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        I joined at 38. Did BCT at Fort Benning last summer and I'm doing AIT at NCBC. There are tons of new guys coming in every week. Good thing is as more of the undesirables ship out there's more opportunity to influence incoming guys to do the right thing. Without revealing too much info, the actions of past soldiers has caused future soldiers to lose a lot of priviledges.
        Always happens, always will.

I did common core BNCOC at the beginning of the last decade at a National Guard center. So it was basically one weekend a month stretched over six months. An NCO showed up late (that Sunday after the first weekend) and then the whole class (approximately 70 NCOs) now were confined to the post for the whole weekend during the rest of the 5 monthly sessions. Believe me; if a blanket party was condoned; it would have happened

Comment

Update:

Just graduated (MOSQ'd HOOAAH) 12W from the NCBC. A word to the wise for any 12W's going to Gulfport: The humidity is RIDICULOUS. Most people's run time, including mine, dropped at least a minute. I usually run a 15:03 (Ft. Benning temp & Humidity) but I ran 16:58 on my first APFT, 16:10 on the second and down to a 16:22 on the third.

Big differences between BCT at Benning and AIT at NCBC: I lost over 40 pounds due to spending the majority of the time in the field during Heat Cat 5 wearing full battle rattle, rucking my brains out, and only having a little over 10 minutes or less to eat at chow. However, at NCBC I only lost 5 pounds even though we ran 10 times more there than at Benning. End result: Weighed in at 221 at MEPS, graduated BCT at 180 pounds and graduated AIT at 201 pounds. My overall cardio is better but I'm weaker. I was bigger, faster and stronger before I enlisted. Final Analysis: I can train better on my own.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; August 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Hey bro, can you tell me about gulfport? I'm a 12w heading there in 10 days. Do you think I'll get to keep my cell phone while im there? What about laptops? Also, did you get to leave post on weekends? that would be cool to get a little break. What was a typical day like? pt in the mornings, class until what 1700, and then free tme until lights out? Any kind of heads up would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofyal View Post
              Hey bro, can you tell me about gulfport? I'm a 12w heading there in 10 days. Do you think I'll get to keep my cell phone while im there? What about laptops? Also, did you get to leave post on weekends? that would be cool to get a little break. What was a typical day like? pt in the mornings, class until what 1700, and then free tme until lights out? Any kind of heads up would be appreciated.
              You're in total luck, guy. My class was the last class to go through before they decided to end restrictions on privileges. Not only will you get to keep your cellphone you'll also get to keep your civies. From what I heard from guys in the class behind me, they get off post passes, they got to wear their civies at the end of the day and on off post passes on the weekends. Compared to PT in BCT you'll be doing release runs, 60/120's, company runs, and guerilla drills until your eyeballs fall out. The worst part is, on your run days, even after they kill you on the runs they make you do shuttle sprints until your legs fall off. THEN they make you double-time it back to the barracks. Guerilla drills days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) you'll be rolling around, fireman's carrying, sit-up, push-up drills, and extended conditioning drills IN YOUR ACU's. If you don't pass your APFT you get remedial PT at the end of the day, everyday until you pass your next APFT. And, yes, you still have to do PT in the mornings and everything else.

You march 1.5 miles from the barracks to the school house. Your first week you'll be in the classroom. You'll have to pass the first three tests or get recycled. Don't worry. The tests are all ridiculously easy but I've seen kids get recycled in their last week of training for being stupid. After about the first week and a half of classroom time you'll be doing hands on training with wood, bricks and building walls and roofs depending on how fast your class progresses. So, on an average day, You'll get hammered in PT, march to chow, hightale it back to the barracks where you'll form up, then march to class where you'll either be building something or taking notes in class or taking a math test all day.

At the end of the day you'll march back to the barracks where you'll unload your gear then march with your company to chow. After chow you'll march back to the barracks where you'll study until it's time to go back to your room at 2000 for an hour of free time, then lights out at 2100. NCBC is a place where you have be retarded to get into trouble there. They are very serious about not missing any class time or failing any tests. I've seen a lot of kids get recycled for dumb, dumb reasons--missing a couple problems on a test or spending too much time going to sick call. Just study everyday. Don't get caught up into hanging out and goofing off with a bunch of clowns instead of using your time wisely. If you get an article 15 EVERYONE WILL KNOW IT. They plaster your paperwork--every page--on a bulletin board enclosed in glass at the entranceway. It stays there until you graduate or in many cases after you're long gone.

Rule of thumb is just be at the right place at the right time in the right uniform. Study, sleep, keep your room clean, and steer clear of clowns and you'll be out of there before you know it.

Comment

Working...
              X