X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans after AIT?

I was just wondering what the protocol was after graduation at AIT. I'd like to have my significant other come out for my graduation and then both of us fly in to DC for a little vacation before needing to return home for my final RSP and Hand-Off. I'm just not sure if that is possible or what the procedure is. Will I be able to leave on my own after AIT to do this, or will I be forced on a return home flight and will just have to fly out from there for vacation? Obviously if I have to go home first there is no reason to have him spend the money to come out to my graduation.

Re: Plans after AIT?

You can do what you want, but Military will only pay for your flight straight home after AIT. If you want to just make your own arrangements, you can do that and leave with your honey pie.

Comment

Great thanks for the info. It still may be more cost effective for me to just fly home and then leave from there, but at least now I know I have the option.

Comment

My husband (then my fiance') drove down to my graduation (michigan -> Ft. Sill = 19 hours) and we drove back together. I was reimbursed for my mileage (because we went straight home) rather than the Army paying for a plane ticket and my hotel was also covered. Rather than fly home seperately (he couldn't book the same flight home I might have as he didn't know the details).

It was nice having a couple days alone with him to recap everything that had happened, but it may not be for everyone.

Comment

Well I have driven at least part of that route twice (Minnesota to Arizona) and, no offense to anyone here, but that is NOT my idea of a vacation!

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm back to bump my own thread with some new questions on this subject. I still have plans for my husband to come out for AIT Graduation, however, I ended up being a hold under here for 2 weeks in December because we did not have enough people to start my class. So now I will graduate mid May a day before the next scheduled RSP drill. If I still choose to drive home from graduation, will I just go to the RSP drill/battle hand off in June and then begin drilling with my unit in July? How long do I have to report back to my RSP after graduation?

I'd still really like him to be able to come out and spend some time driving back (about a week) since he didn't make it out to my BCT graduation and I'll have been gone 8.5 months, but if I have to be back at RSP that weekend then there isn't much point.

Comment

I would think you would be required to report the following drills since your graduation is right before the May drills (even if you weren't driving). Double check your orders, however. They should have a date and location of where you are to report to first.

Comment

Yep, no orders yet and I can't get an answer from my recruiter, thus the post here. It's still a ways off but things like vacation time and travel arrangements nees to be looked at now. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                  Yep, no orders yet and I can't get an answer from my recruiter, thus the post here. It's still a ways off but things like vacation time and travel arrangements nees to be looked at now. Thanks.
                  Unfortunately, that's how it goes. You'll have to plan things out once you get the information. Good luck with your training!

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                    I was just wondering what the protocol was after graduation at AIT. I'd like to have my significant other come out for my graduation and then both of us fly in to DC for a little vacation before needing to return home for my final RSP and Hand-Off. I'm just not sure if that is possible or what the procedure is. Will I be able to leave on my own after AIT to do this, or will I be forced on a return home flight and will just have to fly out from there for vacation? Obviously if I have to go home first there is no reason to have him spend the money to come out to my graduation.
                    My last RSP drill before basic was two days before I left and my last RSP drill as a BHO was two days after I got back from AIT. And then I didn't have my first drill with my unit for over a month. If your RSP schedule at the end of AIT is similar to mine, I recommend doing like I did and just going to your last RSP drill, getting your paperwork knocked out so you can get outprocessed from RSP to your unit and then take a few weeks off. I think you'll be happier on vacation knowing you're totally done with RSP and next stop is your new unit.
                    Last edited by Major General Discharge; February 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Major General Discharge View Post
                      My last RSP drill before basic was two days before I left and my last RSP drill as a BHO was two days after I got back from AIT. And then I didn't have my first drill with my unit for over a month. If your RSP schedule at the end of AIT is similar to mine, I recommend doing like I did and just going to your last RSP drill, getting your paperwork knocked out so you can get outprocessed from RSP to your unit and then take a few weeks off. I think you'll be happier on vacation knowing you're totally done with RSP and next stop is your new unit.
                      Well sadly, if I do that I won't get 'a few weeks off' because the first drill with my unit will be annual training...so I'll get to be home 1 week before having to turn around and be gone again for almost 3. It sounds like that is what is going to end up happening anyway, and if so there is no point in having people come out for my graduation.

Comment

I don't understand what you are saying because you don't go to AT unless you are outprocessed from RSP. And you probably wouldn't go to AT anyways since you won't get your equipment issued right away and your unit won't really know who you are yet. You have to go to one final RSP drill before you go to your unit. Also if you have any bonus you'll want to go get your paperwork in for that as well which is another reason you'll want to hammer out your last RSP drill. Plus you get to be a BHO which makes you look cool to all the recruits. It took about 3 or 4 weeks after RSP to get my first half. Hell, I've been back for six months and I just got issued my equipment last week, and it was only because I needed it.

Comment

Working...
                        X