X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSUT and split op 12B?

Joined as a 12B combat engineer in January. So today i was looking at my enlistment papers. It says im doing OSUT status. But im only doing 9 out of the 14 weeks. So how does this work? Does this mean my luck **** gets to go to OSUT for a combat engineer, come back and finish highschool, then go back and continue from the spot i left? Im kinda confused on how this works.

Re: OSUT and split op 12B?

Basically yes. You will be with an OSUT unit and then leave after the basic portion. Then when you return the next year you will be inserted back into an OSUT unit. Just be prepared, you may end up being inserted a couple weeks earlier than you left depending on where the unit is when you get there. Just enjoy the extra training!

Comment

So does that mean basic is going to be done differently/harder? Just trying to figure out what to prepare for.

Comment

I experienced what you will be going through 29 years ago. Basic is not going to be done differently or harder. Dont get wrapped up on the term OSUT. Just focus on passing basic and becoming a soldier. When I returned, I mostly was doing KP and cleaning details for my senior year but if you have a unit that will help you prepare for the AIT portion of OSUT; you will be ahead of the game next year.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          When I returned, I mostly was doing KP and cleaning details for my senior year but if you have a unit that will help you prepare for the AIT portion of OSUT; you will be ahead of the game next year.

Good luck.
          Sir, he'll be back at the RSP for that year between basic and AIT. It's not like it was back in the day where they went to the unit.

Also, for the OP, seriously don't get wrapped up in what will be harder or easier. It is all relative, people are always going to say theirs is easier/harder. Ultimately every experience will be different for each individual.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
            Sir, he'll be back at the RSP for that year between basic and AIT. It's not like it was back in the day where they went to the unit.

Also, for the OP, seriously don't get wrapped up in what will be harder or easier. It is all relative, people are always going to say theirs is easier/harder. Ultimately every experience will be different for each individual.
            I forgot about that RSP stuff. Well that should be much better than my experience.

Thank you.

Comment

BTW, I was a Reservists at the time. Does the Army Reserves now has an RSP program?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                BTW, I was a Reservists at the time. Does the Army Reserves now has an RSP program?
                Negative, the RSP is a guard only program. However, there has been talk of the Army and the reserves adapting the program because it has cut our attrition rate so much and the other branches are taking notice.

Comment

Working...
                X