X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33+ and thinking about NG 68W

Hey everyone, I wanted to get a more updated opinion from those who may have walked in my same shoes within the last year. I'm a 33 year old female looking to join the NG and hopefully get the 68W MOS. I'm still at the very beginning here, have not taken ASVAB or anything yet. My background is in medical, though not the typical, as I've been a working Massage Therapist for the past 5 years. The program I went through was at a community college and very heavy on the human anatomy, medical terminology side of things so I'm not too worried about that portion of the 68W. I'll be (finally) finishing up my BA this summer, though it has nothing to do with the medical field (Military History), so I'm still more than familiar enough to know what good study habits are.

I guess my question lies in the NREMT portion of the training. From what I've read most people who have been through this AIT highly recommend trying to get your NREMT prior to shipping off so you can skip that portion of the training. My only problem with this is I currently work, and run my own business, and attend school full time, at least through the summer, so taking on an additional certification class may be pushing it. In my opinion it might be better for me to just wait and do it as part of AIT so I'm not worrying about school, work and family responsibilities like I do now; however, I'm also reading a lot of reports that there is not a lot of study time involved because of all the PT/extra stuff they are having you do.

I think I can safely say that at this point in my life I'm quite responsible, especially when it comes to schoolwork, and my number one priority is no longer going out and getting drunk on the weekends and partying it up. If we have the entire weekend to ourselves, plus even a little study time in the evenings, I think for myself and my current situation it may be best for me to wait and just go through the entire thing in AIT. Opinions?

Can anyone confirm for me who has been through this AIT recently what the actual study time is like? Are you still doing PT on the weekends or do you have the entire two days off? Also, are soldiers housed in dorms yet or is everyone still stuck in a giant bay with several other people? Is there a library or somewhere else you can go for some quiet time if you need to?

Thanks everyone, this forum has been a great help in my research and decision to join the NG. I look forward to (hopefully) serving with the rest of you sometime in the near future.

Re: 33+ and thinking about NG 68W

I graduated from 68W AIT this past August. I was also 30 years old when I went through and had NO medical background.

By now, you should be housed in the dorms. I canít guarantee that though. I was in a barracks building but by the time I went through they were already trying to make it easier on us. The room I was in had 80 beds in it and we only had 42 soldiers. It made it very easy to conduct personal hygiene after PT because we had 17 showers for those 42 soldiers.

Your weekends, most of the time, are your time. That is, unless they have something planned. Sometimes you will have briefings and classes (SHARPS, Finance, etc.) We never did PT on the weekends unless we did it on our own. You will get released by 1730 most afternoon and have until 2100 to eat dinner, shower, and study.

The is a library on post just behind DFAC #3. It is a short walk from the barracks, but a little further from the new dorms. It should only take you 5-10 min to walk there though... but you better have a same-*** battle-buddy.

NREMT was not difficult at all. The people who say there is not enough time to study are the ones who only want to go out and get trashed every weekend, all weekend. They don't hit the books at night, and fall asleep in class.

If you have a medical background and can devote your time to studying and not going out every weekend you will be fine. Your biggest problem will be keeping the people around you in line so you donít pay for their mistakes.

If you have any more, specific questions, feel free to send me a message. I will do my best to answer any questions you have.

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply Jaydez! That makes me feel a little better. Some of the reports I'd seen said you only get about an hour to eat/shower/study before lights out so that had me a bit panicked. Its not to say I'll never get out to blow off some steam every now and again, but I feel like its such a prime opportunity to get paid to learn something, that one would want to take full advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
        Thanks so much for your reply Jaydez! That makes me feel a little better. Some of the reports I'd seen said you only get about an hour to eat/shower/study before lights out so that had me a bit panicked. Its not to say I'll never get out to blow off some steam every now and again, but I feel like its such a prime opportunity to get paid to learn something, that one would want to take full advantage of it.
        I know that at basic training you don't always get a lot of 'personal' time in the evening (at least we didn't), but from what I have heard, AITs are less restrictive.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. Jay has really set my mind at ease about this.

I do have another question though. I read on another forum that National Guard are allowed to enlist right away with the M6 ASI, rather than wait out the two year pre-req required of the Active folks. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone know if once you complete that ASI that it becomes your primary function? For example, obviously with 68W you are training as a combat medic, but if you go for the M6 (LPN) will you then be stuck in a hospital or clinic all the time? I'd like to do the M6 because it will give me quality employment in the civilian world, but I'd like to think if I wanted to still function as a medic I could.

Comment

I do not know about the M6 ASI but with any ASI it does not mean that it will be your primary function but it can serve to a branch manager (pertaining to AD folks) on positioning future assignments. I know many soldiers with an ASI (fuelers, supply, signal and maintenance) that do not work in that slot or continue to but the ASI sure helps in getting a slot that you are qualified for.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              I do not know about the M6 ASI but with any ASI it does not mean that it will be your primary function but it can serve to a branch manager (pertaining to AD folks) on positioning future assignments. I know many soldiers with an ASI (fuelers, supply, signal and maintenance) that do not work in that slot or continue to but the ASI sure helps in getting a slot that you are qualified for.
              This program is to train them in M6 ASI and occupy that slot. So that would be their primary function to begin at their unit.

Comment

Working...
              X