X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large gap in date between Reception and Training Start Date

I recently enlisted as a 31B, on my contract it states that I ship out to FLW on 20140219, however under it, it says "Training Start Date: 20140228"

Does that mean I'm going to be in Reception for NINE days straight? Or is it possible that training will begin sooner than that? I showed my recruiter and he said that's what it looks like but there's no way that could be correct. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

I was in reception for 11 days. Also,, from what I recall, many operations were closed during the weekend. Enjoy.

Comment

I was in reception for almost two weeks... 9 days sounds perfectly normal.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the answers. What exactly will I be doing to stay occupied for those extra days? I've the first 3 days are all paperwork, shots, gear and ID issue, things of that nature. What about when all that stuff is done? Will I just PT and sit in my bunk all day long? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally for what I'm about to endure.

Comment

• Chief Kemosabe
          Chief Kemosabe commented
          Editing a comment
          I went to BCT during July of 1983 and was there during the July 4th weekend. I learned some basic D&C, they sent us to the base theater to see a movie and I gambled in the reception barracks. That was the old WWII barracks at Fort LeonardWood before they tore them down. We had some false calls of cattle cars picking us up but it just happened fast and furious on one day. I remember getting off the cattle cars and getting yelled at by many drills and having to dump my gear out of my duffle in a square on a walkway by the barracks. Some times, it feels like yesterday.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 9th, 2014, 08:15 PM.

you will collect a check so enjoy the down time!

Comment

• Jersey Dirtbag
          Jersey Dirtbag commented
          Editing a comment
          Let's be honest: there's nothing to enjoy in reception. It is a forced introduction to the Army's policy of treating trainees like dirt for no particular reason. It sucks but it's one of the things you just have to accept in order to become a soldier.

READ YOUR BLUE BOOK!

Comment

You will sit around all day reading your IET handbook until it's memorized (and it should be). You will also get yelled at when people start to talk out of boredom. Expect to be very, very bored after the first few days. It will make BCT day 0 a treat because even though you are getting smoked, yelled at, and running around for the sake of running, you will actually be doing something.

Comment

They could also have you doing grounds keeping or other type work. We were done with the admin portion of reception early so they had us cleaning the grounds, pulling weeds, mowing lawns, etc. Most of us were happy to do it because it got us out of the barracks and doing something. But like AIRBORNE said, enjoy the down time if you get it, there won't be a lot of that once you get started.

Comment

Why are some rank avatars left justified and some are centered (e.g. E5)?

Comment

Working...
              X