X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female prior service e-4 at fort Jackson BCT

I apologize if there is a post out there already but I haven't been able to find much about e-4 prior going back to basic. I was air national guard for 6 years and then had a 3 year break in service before deciding to join the army guard. MOS will be 15t and I'm doing split op for AIT for the benefit of keeping my job and I wasn't guaranteed to not have to train, live and sleep with the new recruits coming through. I will be 31 when I ship in January and just wondering what to expect. Now I completely anticipate being treated as a private because I'm not an nco and there will be some new recruits with the same rank as me. I expect to be smoked, I expect to train hard. I was just wondering if anyone has had a recent personal experience that is similar to mine. Thanks!

Re: Female prior service e-4 at fort Jackson BCT

In the past there was a separate BCT for soldiers coming from other branches but I believe they discontinued that a few years ago. As an E-4 you are not an NCO but your Drill Sergeants will expect more from you in the ways of discipline, leadership amongst your peers, and being able to adapt to the Army Life. As far as what you should expect....well BCT is BCT. I hate to stereotype but expect it to be harder than BT from the Air Guard. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Comment

Originally posted by shaskell008 View Post
      I apologize if there is a post out there already but I haven't been able to find much about e-4 prior going back to basic. I was air national guard for 6 years and then had a 3 year break in service before deciding to join the army guard. MOS will be 15t and I'm doing split op for AIT for the benefit of keeping my job and I wasn't guaranteed to not have to train, live and sleep with the new recruits coming through. I will be 31 when I ship in January and just wondering what to expect. Now I completely anticipate being treated as a private because I'm not an nco and there will be some new recruits with the same rank as me. I expect to be smoked, I expect to train hard. I was just wondering if anyone has had a recent personal experience that is similar to mine. Thanks!
      Good MOS! I enlisted in the ARNG a few months ago and was prior service with a 14 year break in service. However, I was not required to attend BCT. In regards to AIT was I informed that ARNG recruits that are prior service generally attend a ARNG facilitated AIT unless there are no school available and/or if the school is beyond 8-12 weeks. With regards to new recruits and being yelled at etc. You're prior service experience, maturity, education, etc., will make the training much easier and tolerable. Just remember the DI's are just people and doing their jobs to make everyone a soldier. I have a bunch of young SGT/SSG/SFC in my unit that like to act up from time to time, but dealing with them is a piece of cake simply due to being prior service and holding a professional white collar job in my civilian life which is more stressful than dealing with NCOs. I realize my answer doesn't address all your concerns, but should give you some perspective on how you might assimilate to your BCT/AIT training.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I do half expect to be put into a leadership position, but I'm honestly hoping a new recruit will step up and take it away from me. I was an element leader at basic the first go around and I'm in a management position in the civilian world so I would love nothing more than to lead by example from the sidelines. I also am sure I'll be made an example of, wall sits and flutter kicks! My AIT is 15 weeks so I believe they will be sending me shortly after I get back from basic. I know I can handle the yelling and mind games. I think I'm really just letting my nerves get the best of me. 4 months between enlistment and ship date is a lot of time to think! I'm sure it'll start creeping up on me quick though!

Comment

Working...
        X