X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to expect

I have yet to apply for the national guard but I talked to a recruiter yesterday. I'm still very unsure of whether I want to join though. I just started my freshman year of college for Nursing. I know that first off I'm going to have to basic training and I just wanted to know some insight on what is expected of me for it. I don't really work out or whatever so I'm scared I'm not going to be prepared for it. Can someone please explain to me (in detail) what I'll have to do because I'm terrible at push ups and running. Don't sugar coat it either. If it's completely awful that I can't do push ups just let me know because I don't want to be embarrassed for not being as physically fit as everyone else. Thank you.

Re: what to expect

It's completely awful that you can't do push-ups. Just letting you know.

Comment

Simply look up the APFT requirements for your age group and assess yourself based on those standards.

Comment

If you're in college you'll want to look at the Split Training Option so training doesn't interfere with your education. If you were to join soon you wouldn't ship to Basic until next May/June. You would spend the next 9 months in the RSP where you'd be prepared for Basic to include a physical fitness assessment every months. The RSP requirement is 3 push ups in one minute, 17 sit ups in one min and a one mile run in 10:30.

Once you're in Basic you'll be given an initial assessment and after a few weeks your first physical fitness test. In order to graduate BCT you'll be required to pass with a 50 in each event which, for a 17-20 yr old female is 13 push ups, 47 sit ups in one min and the 2 mile run in 19:42.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Basic training is all about conditioning you to be able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test and be physically fit for duty. Don't worry about not being in shape prior to attending training.
          I have seen barely meeting height and weight, chimney smokers who haven't ran since their grade school presidential fitness test pass basic training with flying colors. How did they do this you ask? They put 110% into the physical training at basic training. It is recommended that you start working on your push ups, sit-ups and running ability, so you can get ahead of the game.
          Basic training will be physically demanding, but you just need to push yourself on a daily basis to get stronger and keeping trying. Stay motivated and you will do just fine!
          Last edited by Sally22; September 5th, 2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X