X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription Medication

Looking for an honest answer. I am 29, enlisted on 5/22/13, and ship date is 9/18/13. It's irrelevant to question, but E-4 rank and 09S MOS. Being an "older" guy, I suffer from hair loss. I currently am on prescription medication called Propecia to basically..... keep what I got. I went through MEPS with this medication disclosed to them during the entire enlistment process. Nothing was ever said to me regarding this medication either positively or negatively. Granted, yes, I should have asked the question during enlistment, but it did not come to mind.... not perfect. Now, I am faced with the dilemma of not knowing whether or not this medication will be approved for use during BCT. Questions....... 1) Would a prescription of this nature be approved? 2) If it is not approved, is there a potential for a waiver to be submitted to request approval? Also, before answering, I understand we'll all be bald in Basic. However, I also understand we'll have the opportunity to maintain a normal haircut afterwards as well (within regulation). And lastly, this will sound bold, but if you truly don't know the possibilities of this situation, I encourage you not to say "no" just because saying "no" is easy in the military. Thanks in advance for you understanding, and any potential insight and expertise you'll be willing to offer. With respect. -jack

Re: Prescription Medication

You are correct in that at BCT, you will be shaved weekly and what little you got will go the way of Homer Simpson's 2 strands.

When you arrive at AIT, they will be strict on hair there as well. Not necessarily a high-n-tight... but nothing close to civilian.

That being said, I do not think you will be allowed to take the prescription because it is not being used to treat a detrimental health issue, alas, a cosmetic one (and again, no hair anyhow). Once you get to AIT, you will have the ability to go to the Pharmacy in the PX and take care of your meds on your own.

Comment

You can't bring that at all. I believe the only meds allowed are what the military prescribes to you.

Comment

Thank you. Any possibility for a waiver to be requested? -jack

Comment

Working...
        X